I Will Be The Bad Guy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
172 replies to this topic

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
OK, I am going to be the bad guy and bring this up....

So... I believe with this whole gallery problem, it's time to talk about helping Tom afford his out of pocket costs for hosting RPR. This list is getting big, and bandwidth is not cheap! Tom already gives away TONS of his personal time to manage and maintain this list. The list is only going to get bigger and consume more resources. I vote we start a discussion about how this could happen.

Some ideas:

1. 100 people agree to donate $1.00 per month. (hell, everyone could do that!)
2. 10 people agree to donate $10.00 per month. (A lot of people could do that!)
3. Tom starts to let advertisers in. I know (well, I don't really know) he has been approached with this idea already.
4. Every time someone sells something from the list to an rpr member, they donate some of that sale to rpr. I think if the donation is at least a measly 5 percent, it would put a big dent in the cost of running the site.

I based my guess that $100.00 bucks a month would at least pay for Tom's hosting costs. Maybe we should give more for his time as well. Sounds reasonable to me....

What do the rest of you think?

David
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
$100 a month would way more than pay for the hosting of this website.
This site is hosted at lunarpages.com who offers hosting services as low as $7 month.
I think if all active members donated $5.00 per YEAR it would be enough to pay for the hosting.

Bandwidth used by this site is most likely not the issue, even for the gallery.
Whats causing the problem is CPU usage. Tom would probably have to jump up a couple of tiers on his service contract with lunarpages in order to totally be free of problems, but that would likely cost around $100/month.

projEKtjokes

• Wanna see some mexican magic. . .
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 Nissan S12 Silvia, 97 EK hatch and coupe, 90 Mitsu Mighty Max, 87 Si Hatch
$5 a year is far better than $1 a month, you only need to do it once

user posted image

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The cheapest dedicated host (which is really the only thing we could move to that would be worth the effort) I've found is $49 a month. That was pretty barebones. Scratch that, they don't have and more at 49, so make it $59/month. That server would do what we need, it's as good as what I was running at home with no issues. I would really prefer to move to a dedicated site, the shared hosting just isn't working out. The cheapest dedicated server at Lunarpages is $99/month, which is way too much.

So, if people want the gallery, service manuals, and a site that stays up and is quick, we need to move again. I hope nobody thinks I'm trying to hold anyone hostage (via the gallery or service manual) but there really is no other option. I can't afford to pay the $700+ dollars a year to host it somewhere else, hosting it at home is not an option anymore, so here we are, a victim of our own success. I've never been one to ask for money, and I'm still not, I'm just telling you how it is, and what the options are.

Tom
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Sad-Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF
thanks

I would love to help out, please let me know what i can do. i currently do not have a job so im always home. just give me an idea of what i can do. sorry i cant help out money wise.

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
weed need 140 members to donate $5 a year to raise $700 annually.
I dont know if there are that many members active, but if 70 of us paid $10 a year...

shauno

I'll pay $10 a year in a heartbeat to keep everything running smoothly.
Just let me know when to send it.
Time to kick some ricer butt!

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
You can count on me to contribute whatever $'s you need. With 1000+ pic in the Gallery and in my build thread it's a no-brainer for me to contribute. I would contribute $'s regardless, however. This site is too valuable to the 1/3g Honda crowd and is good fun just to hang around!

Count me in!

Cheers!

Jaminak

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 1500 Coupe, 89 Cherokee
I think it would be a lot easier to get money from members if you got something like a sticker or something. I can get small stickers made cheaply (not trying to step on the other sticker deal, just trying to help out).

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I would do $20 every 6 months. This is a great resource of information for me. Not to mention the fact that I have saved "JUNK" in my gallery. I was thinking about getting can coozies made with the rpr logo and name on them, for this very reason.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
What I think Tom should do is compile a list of all members who have posted at least 10 times in the last year, and based on that number send them an email asking for X amount of dollars based on a $700 annual operating cost. Then after he gets the initial response he can either say he has plenty of money or that he needs X amount more in order to meet the $700 goal. From there we can contribute more individually until the amount is reached.

Id be more than willing to chip in $10/yr to keep this site fully functional. It is THE 1g/3g Mecca.

Sgt. Pepper

I'd have no problem donating whatever $$ we need. Hell, I have donated all the proceeds from the last 2 calendars and plan to do the same in the future. I think getting some sort of decal (or something) would prompt a few more people to donate. Maybe have different levels like they do for PBS. ie. $10 a year gets you a decal, $20 dollars a year gets you a decal and keychain, $30 a year gets you a decal, keychain and ...whatever. I could nelp come up with solid ideas for merchandise. Anybody who visits, posts, and relies on this site should have no problem donating.I for one, could not have accomplished what I have without RPR. I understand a lot of people can't afford to donate, but those who can should step up to the plate.
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

shahriar35

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 95 accord lx wagon, CRX 87 DX w/ a D16a1
    Garage View Garage
i will donate too, just let me know how much

1995 Accord LX Wagon
1987 CRX DX with a d16a1 Blacktop

4N2NR

• Fossil of the forum
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si, 1990 CRX Si, 2013 Cadillac SRX, 2003 Hummer H2
    Garage View Garage
I donated...just click the PayPal button in the upper right and git er done.
I put the FUN in dysfunctional!
Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.

SEX - StreetEXtremes

SHOGUNOVDDRK

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 civic hatchback
firstgencrx your not being the bad guy here....

infact in most cases on other small forums like this one it normally is the creator who asks for the money (which in this case is not happening)

id be more then happy to donate regardless of weither or not we got a little decal or sticker (but it would be appreciated tongue.gif)

just let me know when to donate and when ive got the cash ill be happy too wink.gif
QUOTE(SHOGUNOVDDRK;835304)
the import scene has kinda become like emo's.... its killing itself whilst looking overdressed and in drag

QUOTE(phyregod;835835)
Sig worthy. But mine is full.