A Poll Just To Know.

• You cannot reply to this topic
43 replies to this topic

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
^^^^+1
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

gustav129

• At a racetrack near me....
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 1981 CP Mustang, 1987 Civic Si - R.I.P., 1974 IH Scout II
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (redrex @ Nov 22 2007, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would have to say that Im upper im. I like to work with others just to find out what they think. 90% of the time I am right but its always the 10 % that counts.

QUOTE (danielleb @ Nov 22 2007, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I fall into this category:
Intermediate: You know most stuff but are afraid to go into rebuilding engines or transmissions or most advanced jobs because you are not sure whether it will come out well and you are not very good at diagnosis.
... I dont know everything... but I know enough to tackle it by myself if I HAVE to! blink.gif

These two couldn't be more correct for me. So more in between. I am good at diagnosis, but I have to be looking at a rig to figure it out. I can't just sit there and give a definate answer online, where someone says "What could ________ be?".
Posted Image
Under steer is when you hit the wall with your front end.
Over steer is when you hit the wall with your rear end.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you move the wall.
RGL Motorsports #129

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Put me under Intermediate. I have done suspension, electrical, rust repair, and minor tuning in my car. I'd do more (swap/rebuild) if I had the workspace, tools, or time right now.

Cäz™

• I love Wal*Mart
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 93 Civic Lx sedan
I haven't taken my car to a shop for anything in over 4 years/60,000 miles. The car is at 198,000 now.

idk...i think intermediate. Fixed any problems that have come up.

rebuilt a distributor, replaced axles...adjust valve clearence, ignition timing, re-wired power windows and locks.

Im going to attempt a head swap (mini-me). If that goes well what would I be?

I like fried rice

Facebook me!
http://www.myspace.com/xcazx "...but like i said, i am not desparate...seriously. just bored..."

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
ive done everything, except the srs and abs and rebuilding auto trannys . ive worked on motorcycles for most of my life, and they have ALOT tighter tolerances so you have to be much more careful on internal clearances.

rebuilt to many motors to list
modified a few std trannsmissions(lsd's in cars, recut the gears in motorcycles)
installed quite a few electroinic items (msd's boost controllers afcs ect)
replaced more clutches than i can count
replaced axels, breaks, subframes, replaced master cylinders, lines, fuel pumps, injectors
rebuilt master cylinders and calipers
installed 5 turbocharger systems, 1 j/r supercharger, 2 nox systems, cammed a few cars, modified and fabricated a few exhaust sys......

i cant really list all the stuff ive done, i suppose im a 4.... ill leave it up to everyone else

Sean

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: R.I.P ~Honali~ 3G civic now drives Silver 86 Civic hatch
I don't know where I am.. smile.gif

Mostly on older cars and trucks:

I've changed lots of clutches, mostly by myself. A few times in my driveway in bad weather with no stands, just a scizzor jack and some creative use of fire wood unsure.gif ph34r.gif
I've swapped a few engines, all RWD though. My first FWD swap is coming up next weekend or the weekend after. With help.
I've done lots of brakes.
Wiring doesn't scare me.
I have no fear of:
changing oil,
plugs,
filters,
brakes,
lines,
rads,water pumps,
transmissions,
wheels,
shocks and struts,
headlights,
carbs, seats and interior audio etc.

Body work isn't my thing.
Exhausts exhaust me...

Of course I have trouble with some of the more stuck on nuts and bolts and of course some things are way to heavy to handle on my own, but I've still managed till now. I've also learned lots more from here and my Hubby.

I've never torn a whole engine down. I don't have any plans to either to be honest. Though I will be taking my first trip into rebuilding a head from scratch next year, and freshening up the rest of my 1.5L.. with help of course... I'm actually looking forward to it, scared of getting something wrong and wasting all that money and time.. but still looking forward to it.

So where does that place me? Higher end Basic? or lower end intermediate?

rprdotcom1cropped.gifRIPHonalicroppedsigpic.jpgAW1GMtu.jpgH4zO0Qb.jpg

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 87 Civic Si, 88 Integra Special
    Garage View Garage
Advanced for me. I grew up working on my dads Bonneville Salt Flats and drag race cars when I was younger, then I took the automotive program in highschool. I graduated and went to UTI in Phoenix. Iv bounced around a few automotive shops and now Im trying to open my own Honda specialty shop in Seattle soon. I like being my own boss! All I do is work on Hondas everyday and buy and sell parts online. I can and have rebuilt almost any thing on a car from engines and trannies to suspension, interior and some fab-work. I dont know any paint and bodywork stuff, thats my weakness...

Edited by jdm4drda7, 13 December 2007 - 10:17 PM.

"for all your pre-1988 Honda restoration needs 206-940-8173"

"vouch thread"
http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

cars, parts, collectibles and more!

http://www.nwclassichonda.com

ATXBoy

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
lower int. smile.gif

3gcivicsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 honda civic si (mighty mouse), 1996 gsxr 1100 (the two wheeled road beast)
upper intermediate to advanced. ive basically jumped into anything that needed to get done. due to finantial embarrasments, i have not the luxury of paying some one to do something that i can, and even if i did, screw that. ive rebuilt trannies, swapped and rebuilt motors, built bikes, diagnosed annoyances, and basically done the same thing that everyone else has mentioned. im a fast learner and a go getter, so ill try anything once. and ive been in a mechanic for about 4 years, and ive been a diesel tech for about 1.5 for all of you that have TDIs (lol). cool.gif
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.
THEY'RE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY STILL BRING A
SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH
THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS.

Czezcho

• Turbo d16a1 in progress....
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Honda 1g/3g Gti or Si with turbo in progress
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i say upper intermediate, after 10 years working with 3g and now 1g models. I don't have car industry education, but i am fast to learn. I built three 3g each
differently, doing motor swap, gearbox editing/repairing, built race engine, and make many fibreglass parts and custom chassic parts. But i usually
check my theories, before doing enything stypid smile.gif

Czezcho alias J-P
J-P

Civic dont't go fast, it's flying low...

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
I would put myself at upper intermediate. Because I have a very strong background in physics, I understand far more profoundly than most people how all the parts work. I just lack experience (and often tools) to do what I need to do.

Then again, I could have basic knowledge for all I know. You know how self-assessment goes.

Edited by shadowboy, 18 December 2007 - 04:00 PM.

Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

turbosedan

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 civic sedan, 88 civic sedan, 78 amx, 76 civic 3door
I'de say advance especially when it come to a car a simple as the 3g civic

I have an Associate of Applied Sciences in Automotive Technolgy
along with a certificate though the same school for Automotive High Performance
also have certificates in advanced five gas exhaust analysis, rapid component diagnosis, and advanced a/c repair

i've done everything from rebuilding transmissions to advaced rewiring
i also have experieance installing and tuning a couple of different types of standalone engine managment
also dyno tuned a few 4 barrel carbs (not to interested in ever doin that again) much funner dynotuning FI
What up Dohc????

85SiHybrid

I would put myself on the advanced list. I have an AAS In Diesel Technology and 10yrs in the Army as a wheel mech. I have worked on everything from .15ci engines to quad turbo 16V diesel generators... Not much phases me as far as my abilities to figure something out or at least try, which in my opinion is the most important part of being a tech. I dont claim to know everything but I sure have the experience to back me on what ever job I attempt.
user posted image

anassa

• Slowest of em all.
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Honda CRX Si
ohh i wanna be on the list. . hmm i'm pretty sure that i'm advanced . . laugh.gif , no but for real i'm probably "Lower intermediate" - - hopefully i'll be climibing up the ranks soon.
Someday my car will look as clean and sexy as this:

-1997 318ti DD

-1989 240sx sold on CL

-1985 CRX DX, sold to Justin

-1985 CRX Si, sold to Indyman.

-1991 CRX Si, totaled in the mountains, RIP