A Poll Just To Know.

• You cannot reply to this topic
43 replies to this topic

Super_Cricket

• Daddy are you gonna Kill Mommy? Thats up to Mommy aint it?
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: Civic SI 1986, Crx SI 1985, 1993 Integra LS
    • Image Gallery
I just have been wondering for a while who here is a Technician (you dont have to work on cars everyday) just have the education and knowledge on cars and who is a rookie. I have decided to Put it in a 5 stage poll and as you write me or post here I will add your name to the right columm as you tell me so. This would be good for future reference on questions and also good so as to direct the questions to the Expert on the subject as not everyone knows everything. Engine, transmission, rebuilding, suspension, steering, brakes, Alignment, ABS, Electrical, SRS, diagnosis.

Advanced: You know and can tackle everything without fear or help
syko_Tek1
3gencivic
DeivionCRX
Airgazm86
1gcvcb18
lil_buddy
SEEKERone

Upper Intermediate: You know and tan tackle most everything but you lack the experience and rather work with a second set of hands.

Gustav129
Maine_Honda_Racer
Super_cricket
Screech
87mugenProCR-X

Intermediate: You know most stuff but are afraid to go into rebuilding engines or transmissions or most advanced jobs because you are not sure whether it will come out well and you are not very good at diagnosis.

Sad-Rex
Powerwheels86
Zakats
Computer
4n2nr (for knowing carbs)
cbstdscott
SgtPepper

Lower intermediate: You can tackle some jobs such as Changing brakes or swaping parts but are not inclined to diagnosis and do not tackle jobs such as steering or clutch

Giltaran

Basic: You change your oil and your radiator coolant and ad fluids and check your tires.

D_Jaws_ll (for being funny)

I would like to add however that the main basis of determining what you are and if you are good at something is being good at something universally. I am not just talking about Hondas or 1G/3Gs I am talking about being good at Volvo as well as Diagnosing a Mustang... What I mean by advanced is LT1 (Ring a belt?). Anybody can do an engine swap if they have enough guts and anybody can do a clutch or transmission if they have the guts but Not everyone can diagnosis a Main bearing failure or a Vacumm leak. Anybody can change the headers or intake in a car but not many can replace transmission gears and actually know that those are worn out. Just remember when you are telling me that you are intermediate or advanced or what not that most of us have the 1G/3G but we also have Vitaras, Hundays, Cobalts, Celicas, Geo Metros, Solaras, and probably One or two Masseratis or Ferraris and they need fixing too.

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
I think I'd go in upper intermediate, though without the spare pair of hands, usually all I need is some technical advice. I've rebuilt motors, built race cars, wired race cars, etc....

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

Sad-Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF
Intermediate
That year at Honda helps and so dose the school!

gustav129

• At a racetrack near me....
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 1981 CP Mustang, 1987 Civic Si - R.I.P., 1974 IH Scout II
    Garage View Garage
Upper Intermediate here. I went to college for auto tech, and am currently studying to get my ASE certs this spring. Don't do it full time because I'm gonna be going back to school for some more specialized high performance classes.
Posted Image
Under steer is when you hit the wall with your front end.
Over steer is when you hit the wall with your rear end.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you move the wall.
RGL Motorsports #129

PowerWheels86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CIVIC Si
    Garage View Garage
i'd say i'm intermediate... but i'm not afraid to learn about building an engine... i'm building one right now as we speak... it's more of a hands on experience really, but i've learned a lot... i also like doing a lot of custom fab work for my car, but basic stuff... i live in a family of mechanics... i think my fearlessness comes from the knowledge here at RPR... and a constant flow of green in case something messes up...
Dark Side of the Power........
Posted Image

Wheels

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM)
The ONLY BMW's I like are (Beautiful Mexican Women)

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
intermediate to lower int I suppose. I DO NOT want to get into the habbit of doing the more in depth work like you sated as int/upper int type mechanics do because I would never be able to get away from it- I don't want to be a mechanic forever.
the only things I can't, won't or haven't done and will do eventually are:
real paint jobs- will do this for my car eventually!
automatic transmissions, probably will end up doing it but dont want to
alignments
frame work
welding- would love to get the facilities
doing quality wiring modifications!!!!! OBVIOUSLY
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

syko_tek1

Auto tech school 2.5 years, 5 years as a Honda tech.
No longer there but have the experience.

crxeditsmall.jpg

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Think I would fit in basic? biggrin.gif

I'm most likely in the Upper Intermediate. I've not rebuild a Honda engine yet, but have rebuilt others. Only thing I've never tore into yet are trannies, and I have 2 waiting on me now (99 Accord auto and 91 Integra S1). I still ain't good at diagnosing on description or even "hearing it", but if I can put my hand on it good. I still prefer to have the Honda FSM when working on my cars, no way I would ever expect anyone to know every wire in a CR-V or my car off the top of their head.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
upper to advanced i do all my self. its just at timess you need that third hand..

Computer

• Brian spilner racing team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 CRX DX, 03 MT IS300
    Garage View Garage
With your description, nobody in the world could make Advanced...

Im currently attending UTI so i can get my ASE certifications... I have no idea where id stand, but ive done a bit of stuff. Many many motor swaps, wiring harness madness, brakes, suspention, steering, engine rebuilds, valve/valve spring replacement, cams, body work (which i hate), painting (which i also hate), brake lathing, manual transmission rebuilds, U-Joint replacements, Transfer case rebuilds, clutch replacements, CV axles, wheel bearings, AC systems, cylinder/mainbearing/rod cap/cam journal out of round and taper... I could keep going really.

I can also read a 10 thousandths micrometer haha... Not that its a hard task really, but important for bottom end rebuilds.

Things id like to learn more about would be setting up forced induction systems (mainly turbocharging) and tuning them on a dyno (which im going to end up doing), proper suspention setup, flowbench testing, how to set the clock on my VCR, dry sump setups, ABS... Theres more but i cant think of it now...

86 crx

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Dont want to toot my horn but id say Advance, you name it i can do it. Build/Rebuild engine/trans, bore and hone engine blocks, alignments, tires, engine swaps, electiral repair, engine/trans diagnosis, a/c, brakes, driveline, body work, paint, frame straitning, welding, im decent with all of it.

Only thing i need a buddy for is bleeding brakes, and a extra set of hands/eyes.
Posted Image

Giltaran

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si, EW4, Stock as I can make her.
Lower intermediate by necessity, and will not comment on something I haven't done myself (which is 'most everything).

By "necessity" I mean if I had the money and the trust to put into a mechanic, I'd never have dirty hands again - but I have neither of those things, so I do my own work.

-Gil

D Jaws II

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX SI D15A3, 89 CRX Si B18A1, 89 Prelude B20A JDM, 91 CRX DX D15B2, 87 CRX HF with a D15A3 (pictured above) New 11/06: 1998 Civic EX JDM B16A to be new track car
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I can clean windshields, check oil, and empty ashtray, only if overflowing. Does that count?

I have done a couple of swaps, I once swapped a cupholder from a 88 to a 87, and swapped the floor mats from a teg.

Jaws

"YOU SHOULD NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE PREDICTABILITY OF STUPIDITY"

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: '86 Std. hatchback, '06 Mitsu EVO IX SE, '15 Mitsu Lancer EVO X FE
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Since I own old DSMs, I'm automatically an Advanced tech. biggrin.gif

The main reason I consider myself advanced is because I don't trust other people/shops/dealers to touch my cars. Plus I'm cheap when it comes to repairs. biggrin.gif

DSMTimeline.jpg

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Airgazm86 @ Nov 22 2007, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since I own old DSMs, I'm automatically an Advanced tech. biggrin.gif

The main reason I consider myself advanced is because I don't trust other people/shops/dealers to touch my cars. Plus I'm cheap when it comes to repairs. biggrin.gif

Amen brotha, after getting fucked with my first car, and almost getting screwed when i first got my 90 DX, i decided i would learn as much as i could. Votech helped tons, figuring out how all the senors work and all the theory behind everything, and hands on rebuilding motors and transmissions, then later on doing the paint and body work. Basicly the only things i gota pay other people to do are alighments and tires cuz i dont have the cash to buy the machines, lol.
Posted Image