Weird Thumpin' When Coasting.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

dkyk25

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
i just swapped in a browntop and most of the susp. parts are new.
new radius arm, bushings, shocks, tierod ends, axles, clutch..

ok, the weird thing happens when I'm coasting or slowing down with foot off the gas.
- when i'm slowing down while in GEAR no noise, everything seems tight and normal.
- when i'm slowing down while in NEUTRAL, i can feel/hear some thumping noise from the bottom of the car.

It' not loud. it's very muted. It seems like i can 'feel' more than i can hear. Kinda feels like something loose...
but nothing seems to be loose when i checked. lug nuts, spindle nut, axle all seems to b tight.

It's perfectly fine when I'm accelerating or anytime I'm in gear.
I just feel that weird 'thumping' only when im coasting in nuetral....

any clue??
Recyling is not the answer. Using less to begin with is.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (dkyk25 @ Nov 1 2007, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i just swapped in a browntop and most of the susp. parts are new.
new radius arm, bushings, shocks, tierod ends, axles, clutch..

ok, the weird thing happens when I'm coasting or slowing down with foot off the gas.
- when i'm slowing down while in GEAR no noise, everything seems tight and normal.
- when i'm slowing down while in NEUTRAL, i can feel/hear some thumping noise from the bottom of the car.

It' not loud. it's very muted. It seems like i can 'feel' more than i can hear. Kinda feels like something loose...
but nothing seems to be loose when i checked. lug nuts, spindle nut, axle all seems to b tight.

It's perfectly fine when I'm accelerating or anytime I'm in gear.
I just feel that weird 'thumping' only when im coasting in nuetral....

any clue??

It could be a few different things including the engine mounts, the alternator hitting the frame, a worn front sway bar bushing, loose torsion bar mounts or...?

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

dkyk25

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
the swaybar bsushings are new.
oh, and i forgot to mention...
i didn't change the torsion bar.... unsure.gif yet..
my budget didn't allow for new torsion bars at this time..

so what is going on under there?
why only when in neutral?

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
When the enigne is under load. it twists against the engine mounts. No load, no twist. So essentially your engine is in a different position in the engine compartment when coasting.

Check near the alternator, you may be getting some contact there with your D16A1 swap.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Computer

• Brian spilner racing team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX DX, 03 MT IS300
    Garage View Garage
First question is what speed does this occur at? Or does it happen all the time?

All the bad wheel bearings i had made this sound, and they didnt always do it when the car was accelerating or driving in gear (mostly because the engine was too loud to hear it)

86 crx

syko_tek1

I've seen axles (mostly rebuilt but sometimes new ones) do that. If they weren't properly built or not enough grease, then sometimes the cage will try to lock up and create the problem you speak of. You can take the axle out of the spindle and work it around and if it's the culprit you will be able to feel the place it binds at.

crxeditsmall.jpg

Gimpalot

• Are we having fun yet?
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '85 CRX Si, '92 Goldwing GL1500A, '07 Silverado
    Garage View Garage
If it changes behavior when the clutch is depressed vs not, you may have a bad throwout bearing..
QUOTE (Sinic @ Apr 21 2010, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You really know you have made it far on rpr when someone quotes you in their signature. I can't wait for the day!

pr0t0n3gr0

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 civic hatch, 96 ss impala, and an 06 kia rio which definitely puts the it in shit.
QUOTE (Gimpalot @ Nov 11 2007, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it changes behavior when the clutch is depressed vs not, you may have a bad throwout bearing..

+1 for that, and the axles. i think i would be able to tell if it was the alt bumping, and wheel bearings sound like wheel bearings.

same shit, different dumbass. or i taught chuck norris how to bump-fire.

Computer

• Brian spilner racing team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX DX, 03 MT IS300
    Garage View Garage
My wheel bearings sounded like a thumping, and some of them had the same symptoms as what the OP posted. I had many go bad due to a bad axle fitment...

86 crx

pr0t0n3gr0

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 civic hatch, 96 ss impala, and an 06 kia rio which definitely puts the it in shit.
QUOTE (dkyk25 @ Nov 1 2007, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i can feel/hear some thumping noise from the bottom of the car.

my bearings sound like they're coming from the corners. i am a musician, though, and i hear well. it does stand to reason that they would go bad w/ a new motor/axle swap, though. is there a test for individual wheel bearings, or an individual hub/corner/whatever?

dkyk25

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
ok, i can hear it whenever I'm not in gear. it doesn't matter whether clutch pedal is depressd or not.
i can clearly hear it below say 30mph... but i'm sure its there at higher speeds too. I just can't hear it cus my car is loud at higher speeds.

and the frequency of the thumpin' slows as the speed decreases and vice versa.

i checked the alt. i verified it wasn't the problem.
it's driving me nuts! i have changed everything new under front suspension except the tbars. and all the bolts are tight, alignment is straight!

if it's faulty axle, shouldn't it do it all the time?
when i'm accelerating, everything is perfect.
I did a little test at low, low speeds when i can hear the thumpin'. i quickly put the gear back in, and the sound disappears...
drivin me cwazy!! mad.gif

pr0t0n3gr0

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (dkyk25 @ Nov 14 2007, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Idid a little test at low, low speeds when i can hear the thumpin'. i quickly put the gear back in, and the sound disappears...
drivin me cwazy!! mad.gif

that to me sounds like an axle. but, it does not make noise when you turn? does it definitely come from underneath, and not an identifiable corner? or the front? or under the driver seat/passenger/behind you?

dkyk25

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (pr0t0n3gr0 @ Nov 14 2007, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that to me sounds like an axle. but, it does not make noise when you turn? does it definitely come from underneath, and not an identifiable corner? or the front? or under the driver seat/passenger/behind you?

hmmm.. i haven't really tried to reproduce the sound while turning.
that might be a good test.
i'll try that soon when i take it out next time.

dkyk25

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
well, it's been a while since i posted this problem... and i havent driven the crx much since. mainly b/c it was cold and snowy here. still is.
but since i missed driving it so much, I recently took it out anyway. ...and lemme tell you how this problem went away.

all this time, she was wearing some stealies from the dodnor Integra I bought for the swap which had 4 matching set of Kumho Ecstas in really good shape and deep treads.

but since i want to cruise in style this summer.. wink.gif , i put the phone dials back on laugh.gif and bought brand new tires for them.
and to my surprise, the 'thumpin' noise disappeared!!!

i said, dam! was that it?!
couldn't believe it. my only guess is that the steelies were out of balance or somethig. b/c the tread was in real good shape, no waves or nothing.

still cannot believe a pair (or one, i dunno) of tires was the cause of those symptoms...
swear to god, it DID NOT feel (or sounded) like anything from the tires. I mean when it was happening the sound would go away as soon as I put it in gear. how was I to interpret that?

anyway, im so happy, the car is in tiptop shape biggrin.gif ....
just thought i'd let you guys know the outcome of this post...

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Technically, it is not the tire but rather the wheel that was out of balance.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function