8 replies to this topic

CA1986CivicSI

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Honda civic si
Hi,

I have a 1987 Honda civic si, 1500 .

The idle control valve has failed, and no amount of cleaning or adjusting with keep the PGM light from going on , or stop the idle surges.

I need a new or expertly rebuilt idle control valve /FITV. I've tried 3 junk yard parts, and each is worse than my current part. Does anyone have an answer to this problem?

This is a discontinued part. Nobody sells or manufactures it. I believe you could buy a newer FITV ( don't know which model or year) Part and take out the seals, and ceramic float and put them into the body of the old part. Does anyone have any info on this idea?

Also, it's been suggested it might be possible to find a newer throttle body that fits this 87 motor - but I don't know if that's possible, or if so- what model/year Throttle body might fit.

Any answers & suggestions are appreciated.

asianflava

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 07 Tundra CrewMax 89 Si hatch 85 & 91 CRX Si
I've had this problem in my 85 Si. Luckily I found a RPR member that (kinda local to me) had a good one. What I was thinking about doing was to take the guts out of one that is still available and put them into ours. Just going by pictures, the Accord one looks like it may have the same guts. Never pursued this plan since I found a good one.

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Faced this problem a couple of times.  This was on  FI cars - your reference to a ceramic float has be worried I could be talking about the wrong thing.

You may have a blockage in the steel tubes into the bottom section. I have glued in a replacement section of tube to fix that issue. (The glue also replaced some of the corroded aluminium.)

There could be leakage past the idle adjusting screw on the side.  That can be fixed with found materials as well - fiddley but possible. 

If the main central part is gone, the unit is gone.

But the same type of unit is found on the lower throttle body of the later early 1990 auto cars.  Worth a look at them to see if you can use, canabalise or adapt them to the use.

I have a mate who fabbed up a remote idle control with an adaptor plate and hoses as he ran out of firewall space. That was a B swap, but the principle is sound and one of the last resort type fixes.

If you start looking at the later throttle bodies they are usually the electronic type of idle control connected to the ecu, along with electronic distributors.  That's an obd change, and a different fix altogether.

anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

Kay Zaki Wong

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: Sb3 civic

idlecontrolvalve.jpg

Clean mine the other day, a bit sluggish at first then after few tuning now idling are stabilizing at 1k rpm

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery

I have several on hand. Shoot me a PM if you still need one. There is a particular method to get them to work properly. Most of the time the o-rings become brittle. Even the one in the idle screw. This might help for a start. http://www.redpepper...ndpost&p=411431   JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

SIHatch87

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic SI

I have several on hand. Shoot me a PM if you still need one. There is a particular method to get them to work properly. Most of the time the o-rings become brittle. Even the one in the idle screw. This might help for a start. http://www.redpepper...ndpost&p=411431   JS

Does our Civics have an idle screw?  Thought it didn't.  I believe reading that the ecu is suppose to adjust it by itself.  

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Look at the picture in the bottom left hand side and you will see where the idle screw is located. The o-rings do get brittle and need replacing eventually. JS

acd.png

aan.jpg

SIHatch87

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic SI

Is it a screw that requires a flat screw driver?  I've always noticed what looks like a screw that requires a flat.  I've tried to turn it in the past but it will not budge.  

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Is it a screw that requires a flat screw driver?  I've always noticed what looks like a screw that requires a flat.  I've tried to turn it in the past but it will not budge.  

Yes, it has a raised head and is brass so be careful. Use some penetrating fluid and then have a proper screwdriver so you don't wreck the groove or it will strip out. Sometimes if you insert the screwdriver and then tap with a hammer to jar away some corrosion it will be easier to remove. Good luck. I still have several on hand if you are in need. JS

aan.jpg