Tranny Help Plz!

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

0ldSkoolRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87crx
hey guys i have been havin this problem with my car for a while but i was wondering if any of you guys would know what it is thats wrong with it well heres my problem i can't rev my car over 3500 rpm in first gear or else it will grind as im going into second is this a sign of me needing a new tranny or is it something minor like the shift linkage it dont grind for a while it just does a quick grind as im puttin it into second as long as i keep the rev under 3500 its fine i dont get it it happens to my brother to and hes been driving stick for well over 4 yrs. thanks alot for the help

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
It could be that your 2nd gear synchro is going bad. How often do you change your trans. oil?

Julian

lil buddy

• obsessive compulsive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 civic si Resto Rod,85 civic DX,84 CRX 1500 DX, 79 XL 75,69 Z50 mini trail, 03 Pilot and my 2013 ride on
QUOTE (87MugenProCR-X @ Jan 4 2007, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It could be that your 2nd gear synchro is going bad. How often do you change your trans. oil?

Julian

1-2 syncro is worn for sure. time for a rebuild. or find a good used trans.

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Yep, 2nd gear syncro is toast (which is odd since it's usually the 3rd gear syncro that goes first). Soon it will start grinding at any RPM, just baby it until you rebuild the tranny or find a replacement.

0ldSkoolRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ok thanks alot for the help guys how much would rebuilding the tranny cost.

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
You may want to check your clutch cable adjustment FIRST!

If the clutch cable is way out of adjustment, then your clutch is not fully engaging, and that may be causing your grinding.

I mention this because it is very odd to have the second gear syncros go, as was previously mentioned.

Third gears go because people try to shift in a straight line from second to third, instead of up, over to the right, and up again.
First gear to second gear is a straight shot, so the syncros usually last longer.

As for a rebuild, buy the rebuild kit from Rivergate, and find a good Honda tech.

Always check the simple stuff first.

Edited by Madkore, 05 January 2007 - 06:26 PM.

You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

0ldSkoolRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ok and also sorry for bein such a noob but im only 16 lol how do i adjust the clucth cable if it is outta wack??? do i need any special tools or will normal wrenches n what not be fine? thanks alot for all the replies guys

trv86caprice

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Honda CRX SI DOHC
QUOTE (0ldSkoolRex @ Jan 5 2007, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok and also sorry for bein such a noob but im only 16 lol how do i adjust the clucth cable if it is outta wack??? do i need any special tools or will normal wrenches n what not be fine? thanks alot for all the replies guys

Where are you located? I have a spare si tranny, but the threads are stripped out where the mount goes. All internals are good. Might be useful to you...
1986 CRX SI w/ Frankenstein ZC

0ldSkoolRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i live in new york

RFL85CRXSI

• The Martinsburg Intimidator!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si ,'85 Honda Civic CRX DX, '02 Ford Crown Victoria Police Crusier, '94 Chevy S-10 LS1 (Haul'n AsS-10), '98 Plymouth Breeze 2.4T
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Follow the long black cable that runs over top of your valve cover (from the fire wall twards the tranny). Keep following it below the distridutor. You should see a black "knob" that the clutch cable runs through. This knob is you clutch adjuster, no tools required! (the reason I love cable clutches, if it starts slipping, just make a quick adjustment biggrin.gif )

Suck my SOHC!
Im the VTAC sauze on your Honda Burger!

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (0ldSkoolRex @ Jan 5 2007, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

0ldSkoolRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ok thank you very much for the replies guys ill hopfully have pics of her soon lol thanks again you guys are a great help.

mordantly

• www.morrobaycyclery.com
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '90 Isuzu Impulse XS-Lotus Tuned, '94 Civic LX-EG8 (RIP 05 SEP 2009), '71 SL350-K1, '82 CM450E, '72 Yami LT2, '75 Yami DT400B, '02 cobra racing 50cc
    • Image Gallery
i found a sub 2 inch shift throw in conjunction with a worn shift rod can create a harsh but intermittent grind going in to second. i doubt this is happening in your case but if you decide to put an adjustable throw in, keep it in mind.
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '11]
1987 CRX SI D15A3 Goal: <12 Sec 1/4

QUOTE (cbstdscott)
There is no replacement for displacement... but dicking with the bottom end of a Honda is not very productive. Put your energy into the head, that is where power is made.

...Dicking with the vacuum lines is not how you adjust ignition timing. That requires loosening the three bolts that hold the distributor and twisting on it.

Scott

0ldSkoolRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
ok also i did the adjustment and now i have like 3/4s of an inchs travel in my clutch pedal this isnt bad right and now it dosnt grind until i rev it past 4,000 rpms but i dont wanna losin it to much cuz my clucth pedal has play in it now this isnt bad rite.

mordantly

• www.morrobaycyclery.com
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '90 Isuzu Impulse XS-Lotus Tuned, '94 Civic LX-EG8 (RIP 05 SEP 2009), '71 SL350-K1, '82 CM450E, '72 Yami LT2, '75 Yami DT400B, '02 cobra racing 50cc
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (0ldSkoolRex @ Jan 6 2007, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok also i did the adjustment and now i have like 3/4s of an inchs travel in my clutch pedal this isnt bad right and now it dosnt grind until i rev it past 4,000 rpms but i dont wanna losin it to much cuz my clucth pedal has play in it now this isnt bad rite.

free pedal play should be like 1/4 to 1/2 from the top for honda 'adjustment'. you can have the release point anywhere you want, povided when before the pedal hits the floor it is fully disengaging the trans input shaft.

in my case, i have 1/2 inch free play then whithin 2 inches of pedal travel my clutch is fully disengaged.. but it's of the drag racing unsprung kevlar flavor...
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '11]
1987 CRX SI D15A3 Goal: <12 Sec 1/4

QUOTE (cbstdscott)
There is no replacement for displacement... but dicking with the bottom end of a Honda is not very productive. Put your energy into the head, that is where power is made.

...Dicking with the vacuum lines is not how you adjust ignition timing. That requires loosening the three bolts that hold the distributor and twisting on it.

Scott