Cdn Dx Head Vs. Si Head

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

Jovan_Vuksic

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 1991 Honda Civic Si (SCCA STC)
I have an 84 CRX with a 1.5 so I am assuming I have the Canadian DX head right now. The head gasket is blown and I can get an Si head from a salvage yard if I want, which one will be better? In the long run I plan to rebuild this engine with sidedrafts, cam, and porting, which will be better?

Jovan

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
where are you located..
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
and what does your engine code say... its stamped on the chassis right by your radiator cap on a blue metal tag..

EW2 is 1.5 canadian
ev2 is 1.3 canadian
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
Look at the head code - USDM Si = PE7, CDM Dx = PE3, you want the PE3 head. As I recall, the vavles in the PE# are slightly smaller, you can replace them with the Si valves pretty easy. We won't use anything but the PE3 head on our race motors.

If you are looking to do this in one fell swoop, I have a fully race prepped head, camshaft, adjustable cam gear, ported and matched IM and a set of race prepped DCOE 45's with a ton of jets that I would be willing to sell. Drop me an e-mail @ [email protected] and we can talk about all of the parts.

Kirk

Edited by gtpilot, 16 July 2005 - 10:03 AM.

ian86crxhf

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX HF
i've been thinking about changing the cylinder head on my 86 CRX HF.. if i change to the si head and get a new carburetor how much horsepower would i get? do i just go to the junkyard and take the cylinder head off an crx si? what do i do?

calmoc9

• C.E.L. 4-life
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 crx si. FINALLY PUT THE ZC IN!! turbo coming soon. 12 Titan Pro 4X, 07 Accord EX V6 6MT dd
    • Image Gallery
i missed the part about why the pe3 is better. however, with kirk's reputation i believe what he says. will the pe3 be just as effective if staying fi? although i probably cant afford your whole setup kirk, i would be interested to hear more about the cam and gear. lmk.

i continued to search and found the answer. search function is slowly reaching miracle staus! laugh.gif

scott

Edited by calmoc9, 26 July 2005 - 01:16 AM.

"Why dont you just put a pussy on the front of that car? It takes more money than I do." - The Wife

vouch thread 1 2

QUOTE (kaymo @ Mar 2 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure its no ferrari, and its no pussy magnet

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
Is the PE3 head legal in GT lite? Just about anything goes there except the block then, I take it. Other swaps are illegal, right?

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (ian86crxhf @ Jul 17 2005, 11:23 PM)
i've been thinking about changing the cylinder head on my 86 CRX HF.. if i change to the si head and get a new carburetor how much horsepower would i get? do i just go to the junkyard and take the cylinder head off an crx si? what do i do?

Not a good idea as the HF rods are really weak - you'll need a set of DX or Si rods, might as well put in some ARP rods bolts while you are there...

QUOTE (calmoc9 @ Jul 25 2005, 11:34 PM)
i missed the part about why the pe3 is better.  however, with kirk's reputation i believe what he says.  will the pe3 be just as effective if staying fi? although i probably cant afford your whole setup kirk,  i would be interested to hear more about the cam and gear.  lmk.

i continued to search and found the answer.  search function is slowly reaching miracle staus! laugh.gif

scott

The PE3 head has better quench - it is the shape of a double "D" whereas the SI head the combustion chamber is round, making it easier to build higher CR motors without detonation problems.

The camshaft would need to be used with the head, you wouldn't get away with running it on anything less that the valve train that is in the head...lots of broken parts woudlresult from doing anything else.

Kirk

calmoc9

• C.E.L. 4-life
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 crx si. FINALLY PUT THE ZC IN!! turbo coming soon. 12 Titan Pro 4X, 07 Accord EX V6 6MT dd
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (gtpilot @ Jul 26 2005, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (ian86crxhf @ Jul 17 2005, 11:23 PM)

Not a good idea as the HF rods are really weak - you'll need a set of DX or Si rods, might as well put in some ARP rods bolts while you are there...

QUOTE (calmoc9 @ Jul 25 2005, 11:34 PM)
i missed the part about why the pe3 is better.  however, with kirk's reputation i believe what he says.  will the pe3 be just as effective if staying fi? although i probably cant afford your whole setup kirk,  i would be interested to hear more about the cam and gear.  lmk.

i continued to search and found the answer.  search function is slowly reaching miracle staus! laugh.gif

scott

The PE3 head has better quench - it is the shape of a double "D" whereas the SI head the combustion chamber is round, making it easier to build higher CR motors without detonation problems.

The camshaft would need to be used with the head, you wouldn't get away with running it on anything less that the valve train that is in the head...lots of broken parts woudlresult from doing anything else.

Kirk

so i would have to use the cdn cam? a colt cam wouldn't work?

scott
"Why dont you just put a pussy on the front of that car? It takes more money than I do." - The Wife

vouch thread 1 2

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
QUOTE (Omega Mugen @ Jul 26 2005, 12:09 PM)
Is the PE3 head legal in GT lite?  Just about anything goes there except the block then, I take it.  Other swaps are illegal, right?

http://www.scca.com/...5GTCategory.pdf

Page 83 in the notes column. It's legal.....
2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Scott,

The profile on the cam that I use would wreak hacovk on any valve train that was not designed for the lift profiles and duration that this cam has...it has nearly 12.7mm of lift! No bottom end and balls to the wall top end.

That said, you can use any cam in the head you want, I just wouldn't use my particualr cam in any head that wasn't prepped to this level.

Kirk

calmoc9

• C.E.L. 4-life
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
it all makes sense now. well the current plan is 86-87 teg pistons, pe3 head, and ill call colt about the cam. has anyone ever come up with a homemade version of the adapter plate for adding electronic advance to an ew4?

scott

vouch thread 1 2

LargeOrangeFont

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
QUOTE (gtpilot @ Jul 16 2005, 07:03 AM)
Look at the head code - USDM Si = PE7, CDM Dx = PE3, you want the PE3 head.  As I recall, the vavles in the PE# are slightly smaller, you can replace them with the Si valves pretty easy.  We won't use anything but the PE3 head on our race motors.

If you are looking to do this in one fell swoop, I have a fully race prepped head, camshaft, adjustable cam gear, ported and matched IM and a set of race prepped DCOE 45's with a ton of jets that I would be willing to sell.  Drop me an e-mail @ [email protected] and we can talk about all of the parts.

Kirk

Is this setup still available? I may be interested.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (LargeOrangeFont @ Jul 27 2005, 11:09 AM)

Yep, drop me a line @ the e-mial address above... wink.gif

Kirk

LargeOrangeFont

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
QUOTE (gtpilot @ Jul 27 2005, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (LargeOrangeFont @ Jul 27 2005, 11:09 AM)

Yep, drop me a line @ the e-mial address above... wink.gif

Kirk

e-mail sent!