Did I Think Of Everything?

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

cal_gecko

• Resident Gecko
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1994 Miata 5 speed, 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (restoration purgatory)
I'm renting a tow dolly to pick up an 86 CRX Si on Monday.. it's been sitting in a garage for the last 8 years.. so I went and spent almost $300 on tune up parts for it tonight. Did I think of everything?

Upper and Lower radiator hoses
Air Filter
Oil Filter
Timing belt
Spark Plugs
Plug wires
Distributor Cap/Rotor
New Battery
Antifreeze
Oil (Valvoline 20-W50)

Anything else I should get before putting this thing back on the road?
user posted image
White '94 Miata with Hardtop, Bilstein HD shocks, Neuspeed Sway Bars, and 55k miles .. my new love.

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (cal_gecko @ Apr 9 2006, 02:58 AM)
I'm renting a tow dolly to pick up an 86 CRX Si on Monday.. it's been sitting in a garage for the last 8 years.. so I went and spent almost $300 on tune up parts for it tonight.  Did I think of everything?

Upper and Lower radiator hoses
Air Filter
Oil Filter
Timing belt
Spark Plugs
Plug wires
Distributor Cap/Rotor
New Battery
Antifreeze
Oil (Valvoline 20-W50)

Anything else I should get before putting this thing back on the road?

i would suggest putting a little bit of oil in each cylindar through the sparkplug holes and turning the engine over by hand for a while if the car has been sitting for that long. maybe fuel filter. maybe heater core hoses to go along with the new rad hoses. your going to want to change the water pump when doing timing belt (maybe even tensioner and front main seal). drain all the gas from the tank and put in new. i hope it isnt carb'd (if so, carb rebuild or replacement might be in order). thats about all i can think of right now. good luck.

EDIT: why such a thick oil? maybe conciter some 10W30 or 5W30?
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

braytyper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: (DD)1997 Acura Integra GSR, 1989 Integra
Be sure to check the axle boots, ball joints, and tie rod ends before giving it a road trip. And check/change the tranny fluid, and check/replace the PCV valve. Sometimes when a fuel injected car has been sitting that long the injectors will have some rust on the end of them and not allow proper atomization of the fuel. So if it runs rough you might need to check the injectors.

Good Luck, Brandon

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
I wouldn't pour oil into the cylinders, but I would pull the spark plugs after changing the oil and filter and cranking the engine over to move the fresh oil thoughout the oiling system. If you feel that you need to oil the cylinder, get the spray oil that is for marine engines...you hold the throttle @ WOT and then spray it into the open TB while you crank the motor over (with the plugs in it). Do pull the valve cover and pour one of the quarts of oil for your first change and pour it all over the cams/springs/rockers...they are probably dry.

Also, consider after driving it for a bit - look at the oil on the dipstick...if it is dirty, change the oil again. Also, check the lash on the valves.

Kirk

1swift1500s

• was lost, but now I'm found
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Own: (2) 87 crx Si's and 99 Silverado Z71
    • Image Gallery
It's also a good idea to check the tires. Check for weather cracking, and any "darts" or "bullets" in the sidewalls indicating a belt separation or broken belt. Also check the brake pad and shoe condition and brake function. Check lines for cracks, leaks at the master cylinder and wheel cylinders. It may be a good idea to flush out the brake system too. Just my .02

pete
87 Teg... now in parts... new Si for swap
user posted image

addiction2bass

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 99civic EX, 1995 fullsize extended cab.
    • Image Gallery
how much are these typical parts?
like water pump, belt and such?

i definatly need to swap the belt in mine before i run it to long!
ive heard to many stories about busted belts bending valves!

as the car doesnt have enough problems.LMFAO

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
Seems like the last time I bought a belt and pump it was around $70 or so. Get a tube of Honda Bond while you are there too!

Kirk

addiction2bass

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (gtpilot @ Apr 11 2006, 08:11 PM)
Seems like the last time I bought a belt and pump it was around $70 or so.  Get a tube of Honda Bond while you are there too!

Kirk

honda bond... WTF is that? or should i say whats thats for?

gkiing

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Honda bond isin't made anymore, the people at my honda dealer reccomended permatex super-grey, its pretty much the same thing. When I asked for hondabond, only one of them knew what it was and they said "its som really old school stuff that isint used anymore" tongue.gif

Oh, reminds me, pick up a can of quickstart or the equivalent (pretty much ethane and a lubricant in a spray can) and spray it into your intake manifold or carb before you start.. it works pretty well.

Makes for some LOUD backfires sometimes.. especially on bike motors (gsxr..heehhe)

Edited by gkiing, 11 April 2006 - 08:29 PM.

Texrex

• In Texas we measure distances by how long it takes to get there.
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87' CRX DX
    Garage View Garage
try going to this web site www.autohausaz.com.
They have some of the cheapest honda parts on the web and they use ups. If you spend over $50 they give free shipping. They sell nothing but OEM parts. Got my water pump for like $40. And the igniter in my distributor for $30. Check EVERYTHING that is rubber on that car.

Texrex
"You are what you do when it counts"

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
they dont make hondabond anymore, gay, i just used up my last tube, good thing i bought some grey rtv at autozone
Posted Image

addiction2bass

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
problem with buying parts for my HF is since the motor has been swaped out i dont know what the actual drivetrain is...
besides the motor being a B13...... anyone know which water pump i would need and or timing belt or are they all the same?

thats a huge downfall about buying online... is if im mistaken i got the wrong parts and have to wait even longer for the right ones sad.gif

does napa have these typical parts? or do they have to be purchased from a honda dealer?

i realy need to get this belt replaced so i wont have to worry about jacken up the motor after i get it running!
tho not sure if the water pump needs replaced or not but like always... might as well since ill have it pulled apart!

JDC420

• Slowtoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 Crx, 92 Civic 4dr (1,260,000km) , 96 Accord EX 5sp 4dr (mom's)
Well CALGECKO how did your tune up go? THREAD JACKER!

Edited by JDC420, 12 April 2006 - 04:32 PM.

user posted image

cal_gecko

• Resident Gecko
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1994 Miata 5 speed, 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (restoration purgatory)
QUOTE (JDC420 @ Apr 12 2006, 02:31 PM)
Well CALGECKO how did your tune up go? THREAD JACKER!

Haven't had the chance to do it yet... nothing but RAIN!
user posted image
White '94 Miata with Hardtop, Bilstein HD shocks, Neuspeed Sway Bars, and 55k miles .. my new love.

Diaz984

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si, 85 Corolla DX
    Garage View Garage
fuel filter(s)