Woe Is Me...read It And Weep.

• You cannot reply to this topic
69 replies to this topic

F22hb

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 88 RT4wd wago & 86 Hatchback
HG could have blown out between two cylinders, this will produce some symptoms similar to yours, doesn't happen often though.

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si
QUOTE (VaporParanoia @ Sep 19 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you have all of this done why don't you just fix the motor or get a different motor? I say this because you are obviously invested in this car and whatever you get for selling things will be less now that its been used, why don't you look into fixing the motor? The cost of replacing or fixing the motor would come close to the money lost in the process of selling a shell and a bunch of quality parts.

Yes, I agree. I have located a good motor to replace, and hoping for the best. Head to be pulled on Tuesday. The last post from F22hb gives me hope.

Wish me luck. I just can't pour 6k into the motor like the previous owner. Maybe 1500 tops.
Cannot drive with the window up

rinnaye

• 3G'ist
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Si-R-Spec & 2005 Tacoma
This exact same "clicking problem happened to me only two weeks ago. I AM TOTALLY PISSED! Just put a D16 into my car, and thousands spent after that in order to get it just right, then while on my way to a car meet, all of a sudden, I hear this unnerving chatter from inside the engine. I believe it's the same thing that was mentioned in an earlier post, that being, the rod bearing. I limped it home, (over 20 miles,) and parked it. Won't be fixed until well after Winter. Probably will be sold altogether. mad.gif

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
QUOTE (rinnaye @ Sep 21 2010, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This exact same "clicking problem happened to me only two weeks ago. I AM TOTALLY PISSED! Just put a D16 into my car, and thousands spent after that in order to get it just right, then while on my way to a car meet, all of a sudden, I hear this unnerving chatter from inside the engine. I believe it's the same thing that was mentioned in an earlier post, that being, the rod bearing. I limped it home, (over 20 miles,) and parked it. Won't be fixed until well after Winter. Probably will be sold altogether. mad.gif

As others have said to me, don't sell it, you'll regret it in the long run. Sit on it a while and it will grow on you again.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Well, miracles never cease....

IT IS A BLOWN HEAD GASKET, between cylinders 1 and 2. Head is off, to be milled, and my mechanic said "Nice Pistons!" Domed, and in good shape.

He's also installing my nitrous kit while he is in there. Said he's gonna tell the machine shop all about the setup, to maximize everything.

This guy has a 1000 hp Regal, and has been installing nitrous for 20 years. Sort of a local legend. Hell, his FATHER runs 10 second times in a full size Chevy pickup!

So excited!!!!! Thanks for all the input. Looks like I might be back on the road in a month or so. ph34r.gif

Blue87Crxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Crx Si
Glad it wasnt nothing serious have fun with Nos tongue.gif

rsz_971991_671350239558346_1410908049_n_

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Well, head is milled, gasket arrives tomorrow, new head studs from Jegs, and my mechanic may have it back together by next week.

I haven't mentioned the nitrous yet, but he had planned to run the lines at same time.

God, I am ecstatic. And minus 400 bucks so far.... ohmy.gif

One lil question...I wanna shitcan those 15'' Panther trispokes. I have 13'' Accord steel wheels, but was afraid that putting 185x 65 's on those would lose too much traction.

Right now I have 195 50's. Traction in first is iffy.

Those 13's would have to be lighter, tho..

All comments welcome.

And, car is black, wheels are gray....calipers should be ?? Red, black, or leave alone?

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
whoops, spoke too soon. Seems the head gasket kit won't get here til Monday.

Still....

Maine_Honda_Racer

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
Calipers should be yellow/orange.

I was burning the hell out of my 195/50's so unless you intend to get a really sticky tire......maybe some different 15's?

I have to have the 15's in order to get my brakes to fit!

Ben

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (Maine_Honda_Racer @ Sep 27 2010, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Calipers should be yellow/orange.

I was burning the hell out of my 195/50's so unless you intend to get a really sticky tire......maybe some different 15's?

I have to have the 15's in order to get my brakes to fit!

That's a good idea, the yellow.....or even that honda orange of the dash variety. ??

I just thought rockin' some 13's would look cool in a sleeper/vintage way, and lose some unsprung weight, but yeah, I burn up my 195's as well. Can't imagine how much more a 185/65x13 would cook...

What's the size of your brakes? I got the acura swap on mine.

Grant Bailey

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si
Good news Tim that's definitely as good as it could have been.

There are a heck of a lot more tire options on a 15" wheel... if you don't like yours I'd save a hundred or two and wait for a deal on something you like better. There are those factory integra wheels that look nice and a civic or two had some pretty ones. Obviously good deals crop up on aftermarket stuff too. I have a set of phone dials if that's something you're into, but that's 14".

Grant
"GReddy e-manage" is excellent in the generality and the expansion. And it is a low price further.Therefore, you can direct an engine too economy, easily. Then, you are relieved, and you can choose it. Future tuning begins first from "e".

rinnaye

• 3G'ist
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (Maine_Honda_Racer @ Sep 21 2010, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As others have said to me, don't sell it, you'll regret it in the long run. Sit on it a while and it will grow on you again.
You're Right!

I've decided to go ZC. It'll give me even more horse power (130-135 > 118) than the USDM D16 I'm currently running, and for less than the cost of going with any B-Series. I'll be enlisting the help of a fellow member, and doing the swap in my garage, that way I'll be able to learn how to do much of my own future car repairs, and join the ranks of those who never needs an EFFING MECHANIC.

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
What, exactly, makes a ZC create more HP than a US D16?? Is it larger flow heads? more cubic inches??

Just wondering.

rinnaye

• 3G'ist
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (Tim @ Sep 29 2010, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What, exactly, makes a ZC create more HP than a US D16?? Is it larger flow heads? more cubic inches??

Just wondering.
Hey Tim,

From what I gather, the major power differences between the ZC, and the D16 U.S. version, comes from the head, with the ZC having slightly more aggressive cams, bigger throttle body, and freer flowing intake. The ZC should have more torque. The ZC ecu (PM7) has a speed limiter at around 112 mph, but is supposed to run better than the non 112 mph speed limited U.S. ecu (PG7).

Maine_Honda_Racer

• PipPipPipPipPip
Why not just modify your D16 instead of going through that trouble. Get it ported, but on a 2g integra throttle body, get cams and a header and you'll be ahead of the game.

Ben