Do You Have The Right?

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you have the right (1)?

Do you have the right to give a begger some money from your pocket?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

psychoboy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: whatever is currently running
    • Image Gallery
You and a buddy are walking down the street. You find an Urban Outdoorsman with an "aNythIng hElps" sign. You feel compassion for this poor veteran/mental patient/amputee and want to give him a little something.

Do you have the right to do so? Can you dig in your pocket and hand this man some change?
Your inability to understand my position in no way invalidates the veracity of my opinion

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
You have the right to spend your money however you feel. Now would i, No.
Posted Image

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
This is an interesting philosophical question that could be extrapolated further but I'm not going to blush.gif

I stand on the fence here but I usually go with no, having the thought that 'not I, nor my money, can help this person.' You can find bleeding-heart liberals that can turn into a glenn beck-esq pussy and rant about 'not having a heart' but there is much more to the situation than what meets the eye- of all the multitude of questions or potential hazards of giving the person money, I'll state the obvious one (by no means is an indication of my train of thought on other matters or my regards to this person's integrity): What are they going to do with the money? -will it be spent on alcohol or drugs or anything that won't to a single bit of help to get this person back on their feet.

...too much to say
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
i say no because you are letting that person know that there will always be someone there to hand them money to buy them cigs, beer, liquor, crack or meth or whatever their poison is. so when you hand someone something your making them ask me for money when i come around. and its annoying. stop it.

next time someone asks you for some money, ask them why they arent asking what they can do to EARN a dollar from you. watch them get real confused...
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

evol911

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Ford F350 SWB 1987 BMW 325ic 1976 BMW 2002 1984 CRX 1.5i
    • Image Gallery
Is this a trick question?? laugh.gif

I'm sure you have the right, but do they have the right to take it?

"I'm a man of means by no means..."

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I guess technically in my state panhandling is illegal and considered breaking the law.Contributing to a panhandler I myself am an accessory to someone breaking the law and am the "cause" of him doing so.

So I guess it is NOT my right legally because that right has been established by the government.

I suppose it is similar to picking up a hitchhiker . I know in some states it is a $1000 fine to do so.

Now If he had a sign that said "I guarantee you a-holes cant hit me with some coins" I would then be obligated to do so.

F22hb

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 88 RT4wd wago & 86 Hatchback
Give them food. We gave a homeless person a bag of cereal when we were moving, the kind that are individually boxed, and he seemed kindof interested. When we drove back by about half an hour later he was gone and the bag was just sitting there with all the cereal still in it. 90% just want money to buy drugs. You want to feel sorry for them, but don't. Offering them a job is a good one lol, they don't want to work.

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1969 CST10, 1987 CRX HF
You have the right to willingly give your money to someone, yes.

I just give them dollar menu burgers if their signs are creative enough.

"Leer jet ran out of fuel, need bail out"

psychoboy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: whatever is currently running
    • Image Gallery
i really wasn't expecting discussion....i'm just asking the question posed.

do you have the right to reach into your pocket and give your money to someone else?

(the thougher questions will come later)

Edited by psychoboy, 03 September 2010 - 02:32 PM.

Your inability to understand my position in no way invalidates the veracity of my opinion

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yes, I do. You don't but then again, I chunk puppies into the river and scoop cats into garbage bins. Ask Zak, he saw me, and did nothing about it.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
What are you even asking? Your question doesn't make sense. You don't expect discussion huh, too bad you posted it on a message board where we discuss things.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

Vicious

me = badass so i can do as i please

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
I guess the simple answer is yes, though not knowing what circumstance you are referring to, its hard to answer. Do you mean legally, ethically, morally, what?

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

ChrisF-dude