Left Turns Suck..

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

I Like Dry Toast

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1984 CRX

Many apologies for digging up this golden oldie.

I revisited this thread lately, because while at one point I'd thought I had this problem solved, (I mostly had a float level issue,) the suspension got much better and the problem came back.  Only this time, left turns still go lean as before, but the right turns now make things go rich. 

One of the things I'm seeing from the Improved Touring guys is that the plastic float is a problem.  One poster said, brass float, no problem, went to a Nitrophyl float, problems start, back to brass, no problem.

The way a float behaves has to do with its shape, density, volume, its center of buoyancy in relation to the hinge pin, the fluid level, the density of the fluid, and the angle of the fuel level acting upon the float, maybe even the shape and volume of the fuel bowl.  It's a complex relationship, with some of the variables in a constant state of flux, and with some of the variables are beyond simple changes.

So who knows which variable really dominates the system, but the brass and the plastic floats have different shapes, are made of different materials (duh), likely have different volumes and densities.  There are enough different things going on here that it seems worth a try.

Haven't tried it yet, but I will next week.  Just thought I'd share.

Tom