Paint Info, Reccomendations

• You cannot reply to this topic
42 replies to this topic

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (JeepGirl @ Jul 12 2006, 07:26 AM)
...just slapping some paint on it go buy some tremclad and a bunch of rollers......  dry.gif

Don't sneer, it can be done w/great results. Check out this thread (long): http://board.moparts...=0&fpart=6&vc=1

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
the tremclad is a pretty good idea, but id rather spend some extra cash and be a clean freak for a couple days, than completely wet sand a car 10-15 times with the tremclad, but if all you got is time, you like your shoulders hurting and you only got $50, go for it

also with the 2 fan idea, put your filteres on the outside of the one blowing, and the inside of the one pushing, also if you want to you can use the one blowing and turn it onto high, and turn the ones pushing to medium, to give yourself a positive air pressure int the garage, kinda help keep shit from comming in
Posted Image

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
zak, do it yourself. you can get all that devion has suggested at png or shermanwilliams (the auto paint shop) I would suggest going the simplest route if you are going to spray it yourself.(because you want to learn how) I definatley suggest cutting some corners. This way, if you do happen to mess up, you will know where you went wrong.

lopezi, what is the average humidity for upstate new york?

Right now houston is around 98 degrees with 85-100% humidity.

dallas it about 3 degrees cooler and 10% less humidity.

Ghost hates it. I think he's melting.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

lopezi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si, 2000 Honda CBR 600 F4, 2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 (RIP), 2002 Nissan Maxima SE
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (JeepGirl @ Jul 12 2006, 09:26 AM)
sure thats great and all as long as you never plan on traveling on gravel roads.... because the first rock that chips your bumper will crack the shit out of the paint. look at all those chevy corsica's or whatever they are, they never used adhesion promoter or flex agent either and those cars all look like ass because the paint chips/seperates after a year or two.

the only way i would do this is if it was just a winter beater. otherwise your just wasting material and time going through the motions whilest cutting corners.

ultimately its up to you, its your car. if you want it to last you'll do it the right way. if you dont care and are just slapping some paint on it go buy some tremclad and a bunch of rollers......  dry.gif

Which was why I mentioned that 'Other may disagree with me', fully aware that someone would find issue with the approach. The basis for that statement is that the bumpers, at least for the CRX, are not plastic, or at least not plastic in the sense that the aftermarket fenders and header panel are plastic (which I did use adhesion promoter on). I was told the bumpers were urethane based. But, depending on the chemical make up of the primer that is used determines how it will chemically bond with the material its applied to, and that it turn leads one to use an adhesion promoter. As far as flex is concerned I was informed, by several different sources, that the part that is being painted needs flex if the part isn't rigid. On the CRX, not sure about the Civic, the only piece that fits this would we the 86/87 Si spoiler.

Do I do this professionally...no, but I verify things from different sources and make a decision based on the findings.

Don't believe the hype....Firefox Myths
Why Google is not all that....

lopezi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si, 2000 Honda CBR 600 F4, 2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 (RIP), 2002 Nissan Maxima SE
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (badpenny @ Jul 12 2006, 04:33 PM)
lopezi, what is the average humidity for upstate new york?
Right now houston is around 98 degrees with 85-100% humidity.

Usually sits around 80-85%. The balance of the week is suppose to be somewhat higher with temps of 90, which is high for our area.

Don't believe the hype....Firefox Myths
Why Google is not all that....

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (badpenny @ Jul 12 2006, 04:33 PM)

Bragger! go ahead and rub it in, I'll be sure to remember it laugh.gif
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Hatch w/ swapped built EW3, 1996 Miata
hey, I'M GLAD YOU re-openED this thread instead of making another.

i'm also interested in painting my rex in the garage.

how much should i expect to spend on a primer, sealer, base, and clear coat?

where can i buy the supplies?

thanks

Edited by badpenny, 11 August 2006 - 08:47 PM.

Posted Image

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
tho nothing to do with what u just said, i think i know wat im going to do and how....in the short term at least.
a friend has all the equipt and space, just gotta wrap up the car port.
for paint, same friend's employee discount on the home depot black metal primer $26 before discount. that will be some time down the road tho so i'll have some time to reconsider.

onto what ur talking about...browse the major paint co.s for pricing and what suits you, as for the diff chemical makeups and such, I dont know much... ask.com!!!

-zak
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (zakats @ Aug 11 2006, 04:16 PM)
onto what ur talking about...browse the major paint co.s for pricing and what suits you, as for the diff chemical makeups and such, I dont know much... ask.com!!!

Start by checking Sherman williams. Assuming you have the equipment, you will spend $100 in paint, prime and sealer. Then another 26 on misc supplies, add more if you plan on drinking while you do it. Plus, they have just about every color under the sun. Plus stock colors for our cars. Even the edm/jdm ones.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX,91 CRX SI
    Garage View Garage
here is almost everything you need to paint a car properly and i am sure i have left some stuff out like tools and other stuff but this is almost a 1000$ worth of shit.
It adds up really quick if you qant it to look good..

05192012083.jpg

vaughan

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 honda civc wagovan, 00 silverado
    • Image Gallery
paint shops are helpfully in telling you what to use with what. and what not to use the last paint i got was from napa. i told them what i was doing and they set me up. even gave me sheets with info on how much thiner to mix with paint how long to wait between coats and so on. really helpfull because i cant remeber shit. i got my gun at wall mart. and i works great. but if i was going to by another one i go hvlp.(high volume low pressure) and do not prime you car and not expect it to rust. primer by its self does not stop rust. it might protect it for the short term. but rust will go through primer.and if your any thing like me you'll start out thinking your going to spend 150-200 and end up spending 400-500. but thats ok because its far less than a body shop and you end up learning a lot. this is my car. i am painting it a piece at a time. because i don't have a place to tear it a part and do it all at once
user posted image
Si Wagovan-Clan Member

SLOW_crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx
QUOTE (jjamiemmark @ Aug 11 2006, 08:58 PM)
here is almost everything you need to paint a car properly and i am sure i have left some stuff out like tools and other stuff but this is almost a 1000$ worth of shit.
It adds up really quick if you qant it to look good..

http://board.moparts...=0&fpart=1&vc=1

go to page one and go to 69chargeryeeha's links of his pics...

i bet it looks just as good as your paint job. 50 dollars. Some1 already posted this..

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX,91 CRX SI
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (SLOW_crx @ Aug 11 2006, 09:47 PM)
http://board.moparts...=0&fpart=1&vc=1

go to page one and go to 69chargeryeeha's links of his pics...

i bet it looks just as good as your paint job. 50 dollars. Some1 already posted this..

Thanks , I have posted that befor and works great if you want a enamel paint job...bbblllaaaaaa.. i dont think they look better than my panit jobs as i have done many..i would like to see you do any of these paint jobs for 50$

the gun alone cost me 300$

05192012083.jpg

projEKtjokes

• Wanna see some mexican magic. . .
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Nissan S12 Silvia, 97 EK hatch and coupe, 90 Mitsu Mighty Max, 87 Si Hatch
QUOTE (jjamiemmark @ Aug 11 2006, 07:58 PM)

I dont see a sanding block or a paint gun foo. ph34r.gif

user posted image

Vitamin J

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Hatch w/ swapped built EW3, 1996 Miata
well i bought the rex for $800 and this Tremclad/Rustoleum is sounding mighty tempting!

he said he rolled the paint on his charger, and if my rex turns out half as good i'll be happy!

Posted Image