How Many Of You Still Drive Your 1g/3g In The Snow?

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

J-MAN

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Honda CRX SI
Well while sitting in traffic for an hour and a half on my commute home during today's most recent snow storm, I found myself wondering if anyone else out there is crazy enough to still be dailying/driving their 1g/3g through the winter (that is if you actually have a winter... with snow, so none of you california guys lol). This is the second winter I've had the car through and defiantely the worst I've experienced in terms of snow. Suprisingly I havent gotten stuck yet or had too many traction issues, I guess thats a testament to having dedicated winter/snow tires and that uber rare Mugen lsd tongue.gif . Please feel free to share any stories or experiences. J-Man
Son of E-MAN

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
The last time I drove my CRX in the snow was very memorable...

Thanksgiving night 1997.
Dinner was in the mountains at a friends house and it started snowing. By the time I got out of there it was COMING DOWN. So much, that by the time I got to the highway there was inches of snow/slush on the road. After much low speed oversteer, understeer, drifting, pump the brakes, drive with the throttle, tank slappers, and finally a complete spin, (all with invincible SUV's flying by) I parked it at a commuter bus park-n-ride and had another friend take me home. It didn't help that I had 195/50r15 Yokohama A509's and the full Jackson Racing Mulholland Drive suspension package...

Never again.

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
I'm in So Cal, so no snow. smile.gif

But I can vouch for the effectiveness of the Mugen LSD in the pouring rain.

When I first installed the Mugen LSD, I was driving in the left lane of the Santa Monica Freeway, next to the wall, in the pouring rain.

I hit a huge puddle that had collected right next to the wall with my left front wheel.
Naturally I expected the car to veer to the left toward the wall since the left front wheel would get caught in the water, increasing the amount of drag on that wheel.
Naturally I instinctively counter steered to the right to counter the expected veer to the left.

And I almost hit the car next to me in the right lane.

Even though I hit the huge puddle, the Mugen LSD actually compensated for the huge puddle, and the increased drag on the left front wheel, and kept my Civic going dead straight, at least until I did my instinctive counter steer to the right.

The Mugen LSD works wonders in the rain and on wet roads.

And it works pretty good on dry land too.

laugh.gif

MK
You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
I am another California pussy. Would not, could not drive my 1st Gen on a damp day (slick tires), let alone the rain. Snow? Hell no.

But I used to drive my '89 Civic LX Sedan to go sking all the time. Never needed chains, always had that good FWD traction.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

MinkelR

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '89 Acura Integra LS
Not a 1G/3G but I drive my g1teg in the snow. I'm surprised how well it drives in the snow even with baldish tires. I was going the speed limit on the highway passing all the soccer moms in their SUV's going half the limit.

Edited by MinkelR, 26 February 2010 - 12:33 AM.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Well, I didn't see any snow this year. But a few years back I did work at a Ski hill and drove my 1G to work every day.

No LSD, had snow tires. Only got stuck once with snow tires, but that was only when the snow was so deep that the body of the car became a sled on the snow and lifted the weight off the tires. (10+ inches) Since I got the snow tires (when working at the ski hill) I've driven the car every winter, snow or no.

Without snow tires the 1G is useless because of its lack of weight. Basically anything over 1" of snow and I can't get out of my street with my 185/60R14 all seasons.

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
Before I pulled my wifes 84 CRX all apart for the project, we would drive it everywhere in the snow. Always took it skiing. Never got stuck. Never ran snow tires either. I think it had 175/70-R13's on all four corners. Drove it several times back to Cali during the winter. It was great in the snow. But I drive like an old lady, so what I experience may not count. tongue.gif
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
J-man,

Don't be a wuss! They did sell these cars for driving in winter climates. I know you guys have snow days down there if you get more than a frosting of snow. My daughter in Purchase had one today for some sleet, doh! Learn how to drive in snow. It's fun and the car survives quite well. As long as the heater works good your on your way. We get lots of snow and cold in The Great White North, eh! It's not the snow you have to worry about. It's the salted roads and rust that is the main issue. snow tires do make a difference though. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT
QUOTE (strudel @ Feb 26 2010, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
J-man,

Don't be a wuss! They did sell these cars for driving in winter climates. I know you guys have snow days down there if you get more than a frosting of snow. My daughter in Purchase had one today for some sleet, doh! Learn how to drive in snow. It's fun and the car survives quite well. As long as the heater works good your on your way. We get lots of snow and cold in The Great White North, eh! It's not the snow you have to worry about. It's the salted roads and rust that is the main issue. snow tires do make a difference though. JS

Jerry,

We all know that real men live in Canada! When I was young and dumb I used to take my '69 Chevelle skiing all the time. No snows (BF Goodrich radial TA's) but posi traction and sandbags in the trunk. It would have been prudent to invest in snow tires (back then you only used snows on the rears) and some steelies (not cool compared to my OEM SS rims) but I was stupid and on a budget trying to support myself and not be a burden on my family (my dad retired when I was in college). As an adult I used my Miata as a commuter vehicle and had four snows and a hardtop (with defroster) for winter use. It handled wonderfully for a RWD as long as the tires were able to keep contact with the pavement. When we acquired J-Mans CRX it was basically a autocross car (like OG Wagon) which needed to be converted to daily usage for my college bound boy. IIRC we picked up the Nokian's on our very first parts run.

I guess my thoughts are when you are young (J-Man is nineteen) you only have access to one vehicle for transportation so you must drive it in all types of conditions. Its a learning experience that we must go through. My CRX is a garage queen as it is a hobby for me (and everyone knows I am a tortoise when it comes to repairing it). I'd assume that most of the older members have multiple modes of transportation as well thus do not need to consider driving their CRX in inclimate conditions.

Elliot

Posted Image

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
Just havent' had enough snow where I live in the past 11yrs to have it out in it.

But in the DFW area, they don't salt/plow and might sprinkle sand on overpasses. So smart thing is to just wait it out until the noon sun melts it away. Roads are an ice rink and nothing you can do.

I'm more concerned about salt. I do my best not to drive where there's salt. Or I'll spray it off as soon as I get home to put her in the garage.
Keepin' it OEM

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
my car goes in the garage around the middle to end of october, then doesnt come back out until it gets warm again.
I even drop insurance coverage (except comprehensive), so i am not paying for it to sit and im also not tempted to get it out on those rare sunny winter days.

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic CRX DX(sold), 1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, 1986 Honda Civic CRX Si
Agreed. My car currently isnt running which helps ease the temptation to drive it. However, if it were running I would probably just have comprehensive on it also. We usually dont get much snow in TN(except for the blizzards of 2010) but even when they call for flurries, the people of Clarksville, TN go out to stores for "survival gear" and the salt the roads multiple times. The entire city basically shuts down...

pvbcrx

• I Love Jet Noise
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si (1986-2010), 1995 Dakota, 2001 325iT, 2009 Eos when my wife's away
Not since I got a second car in 1987, a '69 Delta 88. After the Olds an '82 Wagovan took over snow duty, and for the last fifteen years it's been the Dakota. The CRX did okay in the snow, at least for moderate accumulations that didn't pile up under the car. This winter I sure am glad I have the truck!

GrafKröte

• & the browntop-hatch
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '87 Honda Civic; '87 Honda Prelude 2.0Si; '86 Honda Civic Shuttle; '92 Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi
    Garage View Garage
I do, but about the snow I didn't metter - but all that terrible salt on the street wacko.gif

Posted Image

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
Diven through the snow. No problem. Used them for ice racing for years always run great.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!