Engine Swap Info

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

hyperlite1080

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 Honda Civic hatch
I have an 87 honda civic hatch, and i am considering putting in a JDM b16a into my car. My costs will come to a total of about 3500 or so. A buddy of mine and I are currently in the process of putting the same engine in a 90 crx. This is not easy by any means. How much harder will it be to do this swap in my car, and is it worth it or should i put something else?? I would like to go cheaper if possible.
Thank you

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Is yours an SI or or is carbed? That will make a big difference in the amount of work involved.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
I have not personally done the swap, but I know what's involved. What makes it more expensive than putting the B16A into an 88+ chassis is what HASport charges for motor mounts and axles - above and beyond the cost of the 88+ pieces.

As far as I know, HASport is the only place that makes an engine mount set for that combination.

The axle shafts for a B16A into an 84-87 chassis are custom parts - not available by piecing together different Honda axles.

You have to add to / rearrange the chassis side of the engine wiring in order to operate the newer electronic advance distributor and VTEC system. As I remember, there are 12 wires that either need to be added or moved just or updating to electronic advance. There are 5 more for VTEC operation.

You can get an idea of the wiring from my page on swapping an '88-89 D16A1 into an '86 CRX Si - http://www32.brinkst...d16a1swap1.html

These are just some of the issues - as stated above, you've got the least work ahead of you if the car is an Si to begin with.

b16a87civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic si 1996 honda civic hb
    • Image Gallery
i have the b16 swap in my 87. it does make i difference if its a si. hasport was very helpfull when i did mine. i did it about 4 years ago so i dont know if anything has changed with hasport. i does cost alot of money. i didnt add up a total but i do know that its more than i expected. its fairly easy to do the swap, no major problems. its alot easier to use the zdyne computer. i have some pictures of my swap at b16a87civic im not to sure if the link will work, sorry if it doesnt.

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx hf w/B18C and a RAM
    • Image Gallery
The link works, nice car. Very quick. Me jealous.
twitter: @lylehatton

steve0z

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85' CRX (B16a1)
hasport is NOT the only place that makes 84-87 crx mounts for the b series...www.placeracing.com also makes a pair...u might have to call them they havent updated their website...both companies allow a b16 to fit into a AF chassis...the are only a couple of differences between the two...HASPORT mounts mount up to the front of the motor...and the PLACE RACING mount mounts up to the side of the motor...so its like the old mount...another difference between the two is the price...hasport charges $649...and place charges $450...i am not sure i got mine at jobber price...anyways...also the color of the mount...hasport = silver or white...place = blue...and they do offer axles and all the other stuff u need to fire up ur b16...it just depends on what place you want to choose..

i did take pics but my digi cam is gay...and i am still tryin to figure how to upload them onto my comp...pics comin soon

DarkHand

QUOTE (steve0z @ Jun 9 2003, 05:15 PM)
hasport is NOT the only place that makes 84-87 crx mounts for the b series...www.placeracing.com also makes a pair...

This reminds me of a question I've had for a while. I've never seen a motor in a 3G with Place mounts. Someone once told me that Place racing mounts position the engine a little closer to the firewall than Hasports'. Is that true? It would really help turbos fit better if so.

Edited by DarkHand, 09 June 2003 - 10:24 PM.

DarkHand

steve0z

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85' CRX (B16a1)
uhhhh...i have never seen a motor set in by hasport...so i dont kno...but there is still little space..pics comin soon

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx hf w/B18C and a RAM
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (steve0z @ Jun 10 2003, 02:44 AM)
uhhhh...i have never seen a motor set in by hasport...so i dont kno...but there is still little space..pics comin soon

Im sure there are a few of us with galleries online, but check out mine. I am using the Hasport mounts.
I really doubt that the mounts from Place Racing would put the engine much closer to the firewall. There just isn't the room to do it.
As for a turbo... Good luck. It has been done, but very tight.
Maybe a radiator from a 92-95 civic would help as they are narrower, but they also maybe too tall too.
twitter: @lylehatton

hyperlite1080

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 87 Honda Civic hatch
Thank you all for your help, We just finished the b16a swap in my friends 1990 CRX HF. the swap was incredible easy, other than the Vtec wiring, but a friend did that for us. My engine is Carbed, which will probably make it a lot harder i assume. The B16a87civic, i really like your car, mine is also painted black, i have tokico HP suspension with nitto tires, and hope to complete the swap as you have done. If you could give me a list of sites and phone number where you got some of your parts, that would be greatly appreciated. I will be ordering my engine from hmotorsonline.com, but if anyone knows of a cheaper place I would greatly appreciate knowing about it.
Looking forward to seeing anybody headed up to N9 in canada.
I'll be traveling with part of the Ohio Pack.