This Weeks Run

• You cannot reply to this topic
209 replies to this topic

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Thanks for posting these updates.  They help guys like me who are starring over the shoulders of those who are spending the time to get the most out of their cars, while preparing their car for battle.  Keep up the good work!

My pleasure.  I'm working on bringing the car (and driver!) to a point where it's nationally competitive.  I think I've got it to the point where it becomes incrementally more expensive. I'm currently trying to track down either HF parts or an entire HF to use as a donor for all the light parts (specifically front and rear bumper beams, rear drums, possibly the entire rear suspension although I'm not convinced it's strong enough to handle 255 tires), plus looking for a good core engine to send off for rebuild to FSP specs.

Along with that comes improving my driving skills to match the new equipment.  I've had several comments from much better drivers that I display the proper level of aggression to push the car to its new limits :)

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Two day NASA event this weekend. 29 drivers total. I was 4th, beaten by Marvin in his Z06, Chris in his BRZ, and Karl in his vette. I had a time worthy of ftd on my last run but I coned it.

I love these tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

Smaller turnout today but Chris and I were chasing each other. He beat me by .4 again today but the two of us were 3 seconds faster than the rest of the field. The vettes took the day off.

best run today

Edited by Andy69, 26 June 2016 - 05:09 PM.

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Won my class last weekend both days, 4th overall Friday and 5th overall Saturday out of about 20 drivers.

Damaged the engine Saturday, maybe out for the season. We'll see.

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

Good work!!  I hope the engine damage isn't serious.

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
I won't know until I pull it apart but I suspect a spun bearing. I picked up what seems to be a good used replacement as a stop gap between now and when I can get a chance to tear into it. I may miss an event or two.

whittlebeast

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: CRX S2000 RDX

Here is a video of my car the first day we had it out on the Megasquirt.  This is my kid driving.

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

Season started three weeks ago.  I haven't gotten any video yet.

We lost our local venue, so our region is sharing events with MS and AR, so we'll get to race at Blytheville, Grenada, and Columbus, a lot this year.  So far one event at Grenada and one at Blytheville.  I ended up just out of the trophies at Grenada - they lump everyone into an open class but use the PAX for your individual class.  I beat a lot of people I hadn't beaten before.  Same with Blytheville.

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

I skipped this weekend in Columbus, MS, due to me being out of tires and having a looming tuition payment on the 15th.

(pro tip: Hoosier A7s lose a lot of their grip when the rubber is gone and you're running on steel wires)

I finished very far back in the pack 3 weeks ago due to the tires.  There were cords showing at the beginning and wires at the end.

July 22 is the next event in Grenada.  The results will be very different due to the changes I'm making to the car (mostly weight reduction)

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Grenada this weekend. I'm still on poor tires. These actually got sort of sticky since it was 90+ degrees, but by the end of today I was running on cords again. I still managed what seemed like a fairly decent finish until I realized I had DNFed all 4 afternoon runs :angry:

I went to order new tires tonight and Tire Rack is showing backorder in A7s.

Not a great start to the season so far.

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

Ordered a new set of 255 A7s this morning.  Should be here by Wednesday.  I can't wait.

Looks like Mid South Region has locked in the parking lot at the Mid South Coliseum.  It's currently empty.  I don't think it's hosted any kind of event since they built the Fed Ex Forum about 15 years ago.  Sad story for a venue that hosted many greats back in the 60s-80s including Elvis Presley and the Beatles.  Just can't compete these days with a dated facility that only seats 10,000.

Well, the parking lot is great!  The only bad part are the light poles, so Ken has to be pretty careful when he designs the courses, which may result in some repetition.

Blytheville is always available, but it's an hour and a half away, and MS typically only has maybe a half dozen drivers there for ARSCCA events, so not really worth it, unfortunately.

Anyway, what's everyone else up to?

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

Working in China...wishing I was home building my motor?  At least I know when I get back next week I will have a brand new head and block to assemble!  I like it when the parts are all shiny and new...

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

Mid SOuth SCCA has an event Sunday.  I'll have the new tires, plus yesterday I swapped the Integra brakes that were on the car back to the smaller CRX brakes.  Sounds counterintuitive, but after limited testing, the car stops much better. I could lock the front wheels with my 175 Pirellis but only with pretty good pedal pressure.  the 255 sticky tires should eliminate the front wheel locking that was causing me to have to brake early.

This will be the second MS points event.  I'm currently in 8th place overall but that should change.  Last event I was 2.9 seconds behind Thomas (AKA Mr PAX), so I'm expecting that time to shrink considerably

Edited by Andy69, 16 May 2018 - 12:20 PM.

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

WOOHOOOOO!!!!!  I sure do love a fresh set of A7s.  The factor limiting my speed yesterday was the slow steering.  I managed a third in raw time out of 22 drivers (behind the vette and the crazy engine swapped 280zx called Red Rocket) and a third in PAX (behind the Miata with new Rivals and Ken and his Boxster).  I was only .5 off the lead PAX time.  I would have had them both but for a cone on my fastest run.

The time I spent balancing the car paid off.  It felt a lot more balanced although part of that I attribute to not quite reaching the limit of the tires due to a tight course.

Next step is modeling the suspension, which I think should confirm my hunch that I need stiffer springs front and rear. After that comes the engine rebuild to FSP specs.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

Looks like fun times!