Air Fuel Mixture Gauage

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

aaa86crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 crx si 1998 eclipise
how is everyone doing i just bought this air fuel mixture guage and it wont do anything there are 3 wires 11 red 1 black 1 purple red to power black to ground and purple to ?? i tried o2 sensor i only have one lead off it i just dont know hwat else to try it its a 86 honda crx si can someone please help me where does that damn wire to thanks if anyone can help

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
just be sure you have a good ground and that your power wire is hot. the last wire has no choice but to run off of your O2 wire.... but let it be known that this is really only going to be a lightshow without a wideband...

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
I have an Auto Meter unit that I got with the car and have never tried out. Wiring makes sense as I have the same colours. Let us know if you get it working and I may try it for fun. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

aaa86crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
well i have it grounded to the same spot me tach cd player etc so and everything else works fine dont think it is a ground when i turn the car on there is just one green light that comes on clear to the rich side and that is all it does the light comes on befor the engine is running as so as power gets to it im stumped messed with it for a couple of hours lastnight

aaa86crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
one more thing why would it run very rich when it is cold i can smell the gas it if i dont stay on the gas it will die i will have to crank on it for about 20-30 seconds to get it to fire agian

CSPCRX

Did you replace your stock O2 with this one or is this one you added?
If it is one you added where did you add it in the exhaust system?
All cars a rich during startup as they warm up the mixture is leaned out.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Buzzstrike

• Hurt and wounded....
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Civic S(wrecked), 2003 Pilot.
Red should be your "hot" wire. Power with the car turned on and no power with the car off.

Black is the ground wire

And the Purple wire is the wire you tap in to O2 sensor wire.

Note.

I tapped the wire for the O2 in the engine bay. I went right to the connector for the sensor where it clips on to the bracket at the thermostat.

Works ok for me.

YMMV.

Buzz.

She may not look like much. But she does have a special place in my heart, and wallet.

kablammyman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Integra
    Garage View Garage
Dont worry about hooking it up...in fact, throw it in the trash! They are useless guages. Well, dont throw it away, sell it on ebay, and put the money you get toward a something that can provide you with some useful information.

Edited by kablammyman, 29 October 2008 - 06:29 PM.

87 turbo integra, self tuned on TE

aaa86crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
well i figured it out i didnt run the car long enough when i started driveing to work today it started to work it just runs that rich when it is cold i guess. when driveing it goes back and forth for very rich to lean never in the middle i know they are useless i just got it because i only paid $15 for it never installed still in the box and wanted to see what was going on with my fuel because one week i will get ok gas millage the next day i get craping millage i have put a header on it and the o2 sensor was relacated on back a little farther and replaced it when i put the header on are there any adjustments on the air fuel mixture on the fuel injection engines thanks for all the help everyone

DarkHand

QUOTE (aaa86crx @ Oct 29 2008, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when driveing it goes back and forth for very rich to lean never in the middle

That's exactly how a narrowband O2 sensor works. Unfortunately there's nothing more you can do with just a gauge, you need to convert to a wideband system to get any more info out of it.

And welcome. smile.gif
DarkHand

aaa86crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
what is the difference between a narrowband o2 sensor and a wideband o2 sensor is it the part of the air fuel guage?thanks everyone

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (aaa86crx @ Oct 29 2008, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what is the difference between a narrowband o2 sensor and a wideband o2 sensor is it the part of the air fuel guage?thanks everyone

No, it is not part of the guage.

The difference is the ability of the sensor to represent the mixture. Instead of trying to explain it, here's a picture:

As you see, narrow-band just shows lean and rich, with an abrupt switch at stoich. This is why your gauge is bouncing around.

Now, look at the wide-band line, you can see a gradual signal increase with the change in mixture. This allows you to not only see rich/lean, but actually determine HOW rich/lean you are. Because of this, people use actual numerical readouts that show you your mixture in a number value. Instead of a gauge like you have now. This info can also be logged into a computer along with RPM to determine where you need more/less fuel and allow you to fine tune the fuel map.

acexxxoasis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 88 toyota 1/2 ton, 92 4runner
and considering (MOST) people don't change their O2 sensor often its probably lazy and doing the toggling slow its supposed to toggle every 10 ms yeah and the way you connect the wire could actually hacve a hamper on the way your O2 is working... O2 sensors read between 150-900 mV you just added resistance onto that so your car will see less voltage from it and pretty much think its lean hence why it could seem richer. oh shiiii schols helping out yet again lol
looking to boost!

UTI student