Car Wont Start

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

aaa86crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 crx si 1998 eclipise
well i got up this morning to go to work car just turns over and tries to fire. it is very cold about 5 degress f. has anyone ever had this problem with a honda in the cold i didnt have problem last year. i have now had a heater under the hood for about 1 hour and its trying harder.ust wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them and what did they do to solve it.

DarkHand

Weak battery? If the electrolyte freezes you won't have much juice available. How's the starter sound?
DarkHand

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
DX (carb'd) or Si?

If it's a DX, don't forget that the carb has an auto choke that needs to be set. (It's easy to forget if you're used to a modern FI car)

Note, I am assuming that since you are from Oregon, that you do indeed have a US model car and not a Canadian model, which has a manual choke knob.
For USDM cars, the carb'd DX cold start procedure is to push the gas pedal all the way to the floor once to set the choke and release the pedal, then crank it over. It should start and then idle at around 2000rpm. If it starts but then dies right away, press the gas pedal to the floor once to reset the choke and release the pedal and then try cranking again.

Do not pump the gas pedal or you will flood it.

If the car is an Si model with FI, disregard the above post...

Edited by Greg Gauper, 15 December 2008 - 01:43 PM.

2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

aaa86crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
its a SI battery and starter are fine did the samething tonight when i got off work. well after have the heater under the hood for about 1 hour this morning it fired right up. it sounded a little rough but cleared right out.

Edited by aaa86crx, 15 December 2008 - 09:36 PM.

aaa86crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
one more things when it finally started i had codes 1 4 pop up cant find my book or anything on rpr i thought i saw it before but just cant seem to find it but if anyone can tell me what 1 4 are tell me that would be great

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT
QUOTE (aaa86crx @ Dec 15 2008, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
one more things when it finally started i had codes 1 4 pop up cant find my book or anything on rpr i thought i saw it before but just cant seem to find it but if anyone can tell me what 1 4 are tell me that would be great

MAP sensor - Hesitation, fuel-fouled spark plugs or engine stalls frequently - Check for disconnected MAP sensor vacuum hose.
Posted Image

aaa86crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i have had that code before no that you say map sensor i switch one out with a teg one and got the same code fould plug would make sense the way it was running when it finally started i have had problems with it running to rich when for a long time and have just gave up on trying to figure it out. i have also noticed the last few mounths i have only been getting 20-23 mpg when almost all is highway. i have changed filter and all the good stuff but no change.

SuB_Frequency

I've noted that when my honda 87 civic is cold it'll turn over and try to fire like you say and unless I can get the rpm high enough to hold it'll keep stalling, Only goes away for me once the vehicle is warmed up a bit.