Loss Of Power At Higher Elevation

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

aaa86crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 crx si 1998 eclipise
my crx si runs awesome where i use to live on the coast i have moved to central oregon where the elevation is about 2500 to 3000 feet higher when i was on the coast 0-60 in about 7-8 sec. at higher elevation 0-60 10 sec with no changes to the engine is there a way to adjust my car to run better at the higher elevation?

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yes... TURBO...

aaa86crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
well i dont have $1000 to through down on a turbo i was thinking of like maby some small mods or something i need to adjust

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
. I would say your basic intake, header ,exhaust should get you better performance.

aaa86crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i have got a header, ported stock intake manafold, cold air intake, full 2 1/2 exhaust no cat just aftermarket muffler, and everything internal is fresh rebuild about 15,000 miles on its all stock though i screwed up there was on tight budget and need a car asap then

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
The thinner air of higher elevation means your engine will run rich... but the fuel Injection system on your car should be able to make that adjustment automatically. I would do an ECU reset (warm up your car, shut it off, remove power to the ECU, return power to the ECU, restart your car WITHOUT touching the gas pedal, let it idle for a couple of minutes without touching the gas pedal, you are done). It may not help much, but it could not hurt.

Double check your ignition timing and cam timing,

What you really need to do is to raise the engine's comepression ratio. Remove the head, have it shaved .040," replace the head and add an adjustable cam pulley to correct cam timing (shaving the head throws cam timing off by 4 degrees.)

Scott

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
what he said, but leave the power disconnected for a few minutes to make sure it resets.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

Buford

• Merlin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Toyota Tundra SR5
1st make your engine work for the Air Density that your in.

Power decreases:
1% per 10 deg F over 60 deg F

3.5% per 1000 ft over 300 ft altitude

You need to try to maintain BMEP, Brake Mean Effective Pressure. That's the actual cyl pressure that the engine has at RPM.

Higher the altitude you need to either breather better (headwork, carbs, ITBs etc.), increase static compression ratio, minimize intake air temp (Add an intake cooler, ice, dry ice etc), or put a "puffer on it. (supercharger, turbo)

And adjust the Fuel to air ratio for whatever you are running. yea, tweek the timing.

Buford Out