K Swap Knowledge Dump

• You cannot reply to this topic
384 replies to this topic

CSPCRX

Finished putting the panels and glove box back in.  Looks really clean can not see any wires hanging down.  

Setup the Hondata Kpro to output to my Solo2 DL.  Two settings had to be activated and it is working perfectly.  Setup 4 screens to display different information.  First is lap time and best lap. Second is RPM and Speed, third is engine data like AFR, AIT, coolant temp, and Oil pressure.  Forth screen is lateral, braking and acceleration forces.

Speedhut SpeedGuage is up and working.  I’m using VSS for signal so it was very easy.  Plugged in the provided GPS antenna and took it for a drive.  It self calibrates as you drive.  I was curious if I was going to be able to hear the motor turning the cable but I can’t hear anything.  Then again it’s not a very quiet car to begin with.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion

Couldn’t hear anything?  Well my iPad about vibrated off the table every time you stepped on the pedal in that vid….  Lol.  It’s got tone!

Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

Yes far deeper than any Honda motor I have owned thus far.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Finally hit the scales and the dyno.  Not sure we have the exact same amount of fuel in the car but it appears the car is 25lbs heavier.  goal was to get to a 10:1 power to weight ratio, with driver, and we did it.  220 wheel hp and 200 ft lbs.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Finally hit the scales and the dyno.  Not sure we have the exact same amount of fuel in the car but it appears the car is 25lbs heavier.  goal was to get to a 10:1 power to weight ratio, with driver, and we did it.  220 wheel hp and 200 ft lbs.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Cleaner picture of dyno graph

52771657175_fff35c75cb_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

here is a dyno from my B16a to compare to, this motor was stock other than I/H/E much like the K24 now

52773030748_f9a165c632_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2016 Accord, ‘87 CRX Si (2 - neither running), ‘60’s Vettes (2), ‘67 911S, '70 914-6, '95 F150.
    Garage View Garage
Hmmm … 220 vs 149 hp (+47%!), 200 vs 109 ft-lbs (+83%!) at 4300 vs 5700 probably without adding weight (HeelToe CF body panels probably offset most of +25 lb swap weight increase). Performance increase must be awesome!
Bob

CSPCRX

We scaled the car but ground was not even and we failed to zero them.  All of that said the numbers showed a small weight increase.  Without me in the car, prior to swap it weighed 2014.  At the dyno we got 2043 without me in the car.  So 29lbs heavier which is a bit more than I expected but within range I estimated of the k24a being about 15-20lbs heavier than a B16a.

I was hoping that the Type S oil pump and light weight flywheel would cut into this a bit more.  The LSD may have offset this reduction.

Hoping to reweigh the car this week if things work out.  With the power we are making it may not be an issue.  Our numbers still show we made 10:1 power to weight ratio with me in the car.  Which was the goal since it maxes me out for my class.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 2016 Accord, ‘87 CRX Si (2 - neither running), ‘60’s Vettes (2), ‘67 911S, '70 914-6, '95 F150.
    Garage View Garage
Hi RPR. CSP, everything you (& Brian!) have done looks very professional. Youve set a high bar for the rest of us.

Question about the extra bung in your header (collector); is that for measuring exhaust gas temperature? Just outta curiosity when they tuned your K24A, did they happen to capture any of it in the KPro4 data logging? Would be enlightened to review.

Most of the CF parts I ordered from HeelToe arrived Friday; the hoods coming soon, and Ill order a sunroof panel whenever theyre next available. Im looking to order my W2M5 5 spd this week, then hopefully an engine. Super psyched!

Edited by rufusbob, 02 April 2023 - 06:18 PM.

Bob

CSPCRX

Extra bung is just another sensor option that KTuned puts in it.  On the B16 I used it for an AFR gauge.  Since we are only using one O2 sensor, wide band, for the ECU I just plugged it with the provided bolt.

we did not do any data logging during the tuning since he was making changes each pull.  I can do a data log though.

that’s exciting for sure!  I’m waiting on the panels from HeelToe myself.

little work on buttoning things up this weekend.  Picked up a VTEC oil pressure switch in the junkyard.  The JDM motors don’t have them, just a bolt screwed in to plug the hole.  I wanted one so there would be one more layer of protection and an indicator of low oil pressure.  Easy install and just need to turn it on now in the software.

also installed the red valve cover.  Always wanted one on my B series, never did it so I said why the heck not.  I think it adds some extra HP too LOL!  

52789351043_f074d3749a_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

cross brace back in place so it’s all buttoned up in the engine bay.  We are going to try and get together Thursday and do a final video to close things out.

still need to pull the left front shock, which during the swap we discovered the compression adjuster was messed up and not working.  Made it a pain when we were putting axles in and out!  Local place rebuilds Koni shocks so need to pull it and get it done.  Hoping to make a local track event end of April!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Curious about the benefit of an AF gauge vs a wideband o2? Accuracy? Facilitates real time monitoring? Or?

I really like the idea of monitoring VTEC oil pressure in real time. Seems pretty important because a lot of tuning seems to involve significantly lowering the VTEC engagement rpm. But the cost isnt justified on a mass produced engine with VTEC set higher.

I wasnt too hopeful youd have data logging from your tuning session. From a tuners point of view its kinda giving away some of their tradecraft. Ive been studying a lot and plan to do the tuning myself. Its looking way down the road, but Id love to see some real world data while making VTC, ign timing, etc changes to maybe validate some of my thinking.

Looking forward to seeing what your corner balance looks like vs the B16.

And btw, I like how your valve cover matches the car color. Makes the K24A look like it was factory installed 👍

Edited by rufusbob, 02 April 2023 - 08:19 PM.

Bob

CSPCRX

You have to run one wideband O2 for the ECU.  Some people like to have one they can see.  If they see their motor suddenly go really rich or lean they know they have a problem.  I will be able to see this information on my Solo2 DL.

these motors are known to have starvation issue on long constant radius turns.  This is why a lot of guys who track will run a bit extra oil.  I’m hoping my 4 Piston Type S pump and Unit 2 baffled pan will help keep oil starvation to a minimum.  If it does dip I will know now and also help protect the motor.

appreciate it!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
CSP, soon after getting your K24 running, you mentioned how the IACV helped the idle. An IAVC’s an idle air bypass, correct? I see a good number of ECU’s Hondata lists as suitable for KPros don’t support idle air bypass. Do you have any insight on the idle quality of K-series without IAVC / IAB?
Bob

CSPCRX

With Hondata K Pro you can set it to not look for the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV).  I did this at first.  I had made my own block off plate and was able to adjust the tension on the throttle cable to keep it at a 900 rpm idle.  The issue was on cold starts you had to give it throttle to keep it from stalling so I just put the IACV back on.  I do not have the coolant lines running to it and it works perfectly.

my recommendation is to leave it and just remove the coolant lines that go to it so your not heating up your TB.

hope this helps

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Thats great info CSP. Thanks for correcting my IACV misnomer.

BTW: it didnt register to say this while I was reviewing your tuning graphs, but

the MOUNTAIN of torque you have at 4500 is incredible

Edited by rufusbob, 04 April 2023 - 08:09 PM.

Bob