The British Civic

• You cannot reply to this topic
78 replies to this topic

Jacinto

Hello!

My name is André, I am from Portugal, and I have a different kind of 3rd gen Civic Saloon... A Rover 213SE!

It was bought back at 14th April 1987, by my grandfather, on a rare colour: Silk Green.

It was supposed to have electric sunroof, but there was a mistake, and so, no sunroof.

Still, it is not badly equipped - 4x electric windows, electric & heated mirrors, rear armrest, and so on.

It is a mk2 Rover 213, so, you might notice some differences from the Civic and 213 mk1, such as the clock and radio position (and centre console), and the way the boot opens.

Enough chat, some photos:

The first photo of the Viking: (from late April 1987)

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have lots of older photos of it, but lets get to the newer ones.

My grandfather always kept it at the garage, as he loved the car. But in 2002, since with his age the 213 was not the best car for him (mainly because of the heavy non-assisted steering), he had to buy a new car, and he gave the Rover to my mom.

So she used it ans abused it, without any care at all. And after that, it was used by my older brother sometimes (when he got his driver license) and my middle brother, daily (also, right after passing the final driving exam). So, as you might excpect, some dents and scratches and rust started to appear.

Back in 2009, this was it:

Posted Image

I actually liked the car, but an year later or so, as I was turning 16, I started to search for a car to myself. I was looking for another Rover, a newer one, probably a 414GSi (almost a Concerto, but with a 1.4 Rover K-series engine and 103hp instead of 90 from the Honda 1.4), or Rover 45.

All I wanted was a british-style saloon (with wood and chrome), with a reasoable boot, 4 doors, which was someway exclusive, comfortable, but which would be fun to drive, on the other hand. It had to be reasonably quick and it had to have a petrol engine.

But soon I realized the 213 had all of these things (except for the quickness and handling). Still, I was watching it getting worse every day that went by, so, I decided do ask my parents to have it.

The first thing I did was to switch the original wheels (165/80 13) to our ex-Concerto (we had a 1.4GL, which suffered an accident) ones (175/65 14). Just that made a difference on the 213's handling. But I wasn't still satisfied.

Posted Image

Another thing which was bothering me, specially knowing the other cars I had at home had bigger engines (apart from the Autsin Minis, Honda Civic Aerodeck, and Datsun 1200 pick-up), was the fact that the EV2 was really, really slow. Soft, silent... But slow.

And also, it was giving me some hard time, related to overheating problems.

Posted Image

So... EV2 out.

Posted Image

And D14A1 from the Concerto in.

Posted Image

I know, I could go for a bigger engine, such as the D16A8/9, but I already had the 1.4 at home, and I didn't wan this 213 to be quick as hell. I want it to be soft and comfortable as it already was, but a little quicker.

And I rather like the 1.4 in here than in the Concerto. It is quieter (the Concerto had no soundproofing whatsoever, the 213 has... Actually, more than the Civic Aerodeck, which is 11 years younger!), and quicker (thanks to the weight diffence), at last, until the 150-160 kph.

After this, the 213 started to get some age problems fixed, and some modifications, in order to be exactly what I wanted it to be: It has to look differently from a stock 213, with some exterior details from the Rover 216 Vitesse.

Posted Image

But, in the interior, it will be as "top range" as possible, Like a 213 Vanden Plas:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jacinto

The roof was in a pretty bad shape.

Posted Image

So, I fixed it.

Posted Image

You Civics also have this part made from cardboard? Normally, on newer Hondas and Rovers, they are made from glassfibre!

Some members of the MG-Rover club Portugal wanted to see the progress on the project, and we took advantage od it to take some photos:

Posted Image

(MG ZS, Rover 400 and my 213)

This is what happens when an engine isn't used for two years straight:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My 18th anniversary cake:

Posted Image

Jacinto

And, a week after that... I got my driver's license!

Posted Image

A month later, I left home to go to college.

Posted Image

And there, I already had some friends, which I met from the MG-Rover club. So, we got the three generations of Rover 200s together (they borrowed me some wheels, from a Rover 214SEi):

Posted Image

Posted Image

The wheels were perfect for the car. I loved them:

Posted Image

But, as they were 15", and here in Portugal the government loves to make us pay to have these kind of upgrades on the documents, I thought I would never have them on my car. I was wrong. :P

As my side repeaters flew away, I bought new ones, but not orange. Transparent! They look better.

Posted Image

Back to the Concerto steel wheels, I got some wheel covers from my dad's Austin Montego.

Posted Image

Shortly after, in early December, in a rainy day, helped by the terrible tyres (EuroTyre Evolution), bad road pavement (on a roundabout), and a minor lack of attention, resulted on this:

Posted Image

No problem. A new headlamp, flasher and bumper mounts (the original ones were already broken before de accident, as I found out), and he was looking good again:

Posted Image

And then I waxed it, and he looked even better!

Posted Image

Jacinto

And a Christmas present:

Posted Image

But it seemed I wasn't satisfied with the 15" wheels. So, 16" Hairpin wheels, from a MG ZS. :D

Posted Image

Just a minor problem... It looked like a jeep. That was when I really started to think about taking some centimeters off the suspension (3,5-4cm at the rear, maybe).

With the new 15" Regal wheels fitted, and new Bridgestone Potenza 195/50 15 tyres fitted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

With these wheels/tyres, the car handles much better than with the stock ones. Now, I just want to have the suspension sorted.

eec4tuner

• I hunt pineapples...
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 88crx si (B16A1swap) 85crx si (D16a1swap) 90 ford mustang coupe (347 stroker 6 speed) 2000 Honda RC51 (full Ohlins suspension,MoriwakiExh.)
Nice car!,
Now just get some torsion bars from upgrademotoring. Since you're in Europe, so getting some good twin-tube shocks and struts EG:Koni, Bilsteins, shouldnt be a problem.

Edited by eec4tuner, 22 July 2012 - 05:06 PM.

Living on a rock in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Jacinto

Nice car!,
Now just get some torsion bars from upgrademotoring and you're in Europe so getting some good twin-tube shocks and struts EG:Koni, Bilsteins, shouldnt be a problem.

Thank you!

Actually, it is. I can't find anything! The best shocks I can get are from Boge.

The torsion bars were also a problem. Thanks for that! :D

And rear springs, which ones do you advise? Where can I get them?

I also am having some trouble getting all kinds of bushes and struts to do a total refurbishment to the suspension (my 213 has almost 220 000km... It really needs it!)

Moving on. At some point, I felt that the Rover wasn't braking as it should. Soon I found out why.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And this is another future upgrade: I want to have the Civic's and 216 Vitesse's Vented discs and callipers on my car.

Is there another conversion I could easily do? I tried the ones from the Concerto (262mm, Vented), but the calliper offset wasn't right.

Posted Image

(Our ex-Concerto is on the background)

New mats:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And boot soundproofing:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Jacinto

Shortly after that, I saw this on the expansion vase:

Posted Image

I was already alarmed, as sometimes it (cold) started with 3 cylindres.

Soon the diagnostic was confirmed: it had an head gasket failure.

So, I switched to the younger sister:

Posted Image

And the 213 went to my dad's workshop.

Posted Image

Things looked pretty bad...

There was corrosion on the head.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the gasket. Well, most of it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The coolant:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jacinto

You might be familiar with this... I "stole" it from a 3rd gen Civic in the scrapyard. That Civic had A/C, electric windows and this. :P

Posted Image

With the head off, I wanted to do some soundproof on the firewall...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And shortly after, he was back on!

Posted Image

I also soundproofed the bonnet:

Posted Image

I switched the electric mirrors' switch for the ones available on the last gen Rover 200s, as these, altough they look similar, are much better made. Not only visually (the 213's units are always worn out), but they don't make the "plastic" rattling noises that the older ones do.

Posted Image

Posted Image

To be continued. :D

eec4tuner

• I hunt pineapples...
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 88crx si (B16A1swap) 85crx si (D16a1swap) 90 ford mustang coupe (347 stroker 6 speed) 2000 Honda RC51 (full Ohlins suspension,MoriwakiExh.)
Here's where you can source the springs, suspension bushing kit and torsion bars:

http://www.ground-co...hp/II=517/CA=71

http://www.upgrademo...ng Torsion Bars

http://www.energysus...p?prod=16.18101

Hope that helps.

Living on a rock in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage
This car was actually famous for a time. In England too. It was the daily driver for the British TV power couple of the 90's, Richard and Hyacinth Bucket. Check out Keeping Up Appearances and you see the car in almost every episode. The show is actually a scream. I never realized that rover had done anything with honda.

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

Jacinto

This car was actually famous for a time. In England too. It was the daily driver for the British TV power couple of the 90's, Richard and Hyacinth Bucket. Check out Keeping Up Appearances and you see the car in almost every episode. The show is actually a scream. I never realized that rover had done anything with honda.

Yes, recently I watched the entire series!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRNhOJkrR2M

Well, the partnership started with the Triumph Acclaim... Which wasn't different in any way from the Honda Ballade. And, unfortunately, this model was not properly used by Austin-Rover, once they only produced the saloon version.

Posted Image

Then, the 213mk1. It was a little different, mainly the headlights and tail lights.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Jacinto

And then, the 200/400 XW series (based on the Concerto)

200 5 door:

Posted Image

200 3 door:

Posted Image

414GSi:

Posted Image

414 SLi (restyled version)

Posted Image

Tomcat Coupé:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And Cabriolet:

Posted Image

They had the 1.4 K-series engine (96 or 103bhp), 1.6 D16A8/9 engine (122 or 130bhp), and later the 1.6 K-series (115bhp), 2.0 T-series and T-series Turbo (around 200bhp). And a 1.8 Peugeot Diesel engine.

Jacinto

Finally, the 400 RT series. Based on this Civic:

Posted Image

There were Saloon and hatchback versions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And then, in 2000, the facelifted Rover 45 and MG ZS appeard.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The engines available were the K-Series 1.4 (103bhp), 1.6 (109bhp), 1.8 (120bhp), 1.8VVC (160bhp), 2.0V6, 2.5 V6 (180 bhp) and 2.0 Rover L-Series Diesel (which was used on the MB Civics and some Accords). I think there was an 1.8 Honda engine in the automatic versions, but I am not sure.

And then, MG-Rover went bust...

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage
Awesome! There are few who know about Keeping Up Appearances in the US. It's good to hear there are more out there that appreciate great comedy! Also, thanks for the extensive history of Rover! I didn't know a whole lot about rover, but now I do. :) Thanks!

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

Jacinto

You're welcome!

That's only the most recent part of it... Before that, you would only see Rovers as top-of-the range models. Oh, there was also the Rover 800 (Honda Legend), and Rover 600 (mid-90's Honda Accord). After that, there was the Rover 75, which was made with the BMW collaboration (which owned Rover at the time).

Rover always tried to keep distance and be independent from outher manufacturers, but the government always made their life hard, and also, there were some corruption in the administration, which originated Rover's sad end, after more than 100 years of history.

Nowadays, they are seen as cheap, unreliable cars. The award-winning (and even by today standards, advanced) K-Series Rover engine, had a little problem... Thanks the head gasket was not properly made, so, they are known by their Head Gasket Failures (HGF), which can already be solved with better quality ones... But nobody cares. The damage has been done...