84 Crx Devac Info.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

Highlander

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 Honda CRX DX
Well, my 84 CRX seems to have the standard gremlin of Runs but Wont Idle syndrome. Already put a fresh rebuilt carb on her and still doing the same thing. Runs great over 2,000 rpms but wont idle at all, and seems to have a really tough time if you throttle it off idle wide open, sputters for a good while and sometimes pops back through the carb before it ever opens up.

I have decided since nothing else has helped me get this car drivable, that the Devac process may need to be my next step.

I have been reading on all the posts about this, but still get confused when trying to follow all the replies on most of the posts.
Is there a good solid documented step by step proceedure been posted yet on the Devac process, or which is the best thread/post right now to use for this?

Just as an FYI, this car is not my daily driver right now, and until I can get it dependable and running right, I dont plan to even attempt to put her on the road.
I really like the CRX, and would like to eventually get it back on the road as my daily driver.
Any and all help is appreciated. This is my first Honda with carb, and its looking to be more of a challenge than my last Honda project, which was a MPFI swap on a 90 model Civic hatchback from TBI injection.

Jim C.

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
believe me, its easier to do the devac biggrin.gif

http://www.redpepper...e...c=36398&hl=
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

Highlander

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thats good news then... tongue.gif
I have went through the linked thread, read everything and printed out all the pictures showing the plug configurations on the carb/and intake. Guess all thats left is to roll up my sleeves and start yanking those two rats nests out of my car..... laugh.gif
Way I figure it now, it cant run any worse than it already does, and if it does, then I guess its time for the Weber conversion kit... rolleyes.gif
QUOTE (kaymo @ May 26 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
believe me, its easier to do the devac biggrin.gif

http://www.redpepper...e...c=36398&hl=

Highlander

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Here is pics of the removal of parts for my Devac. Total time of removal was 1 hour. This is the first stage of my Devac project.

First pic is of all parts removed.

Second pic is front on view of engine bay after removal of all parts.

Third pic is driver side view of engine bay after removal of all parts.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
feels good to trim all the fat round the edges off doesn't it?
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Highlander

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Now my next question. I had two square wire plugs that were disconnected from the Black Box on the passenger side firewall. I just tucked these back over to the side because I have not read any details on what exactly needs to be done with these?

Same applies for the harness plugs/wires I disconnected from the Black Box on the driver side inner fender. Tucked these to the side also because I have no idea if they are still needed or if they no longer will be needed.

I am assuming that all these will just need to be taped off/tucked and hidden since I cannot see where they would be needed anymore since those boxes are removed.

Highlander

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Heck yeah, it sure does make a world of difference in the room opened up around the engine. Now you can actually get to everything easily to maintenance and tune.

QUOTE (zakats @ May 29 2009, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
feels good to trim all the fat round the edges off doesn't it?

DarkHand

QUOTE (Highlander @ May 29 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am assuming that all these will just need to be taped off/tucked and hidden since I cannot see where they would be needed anymore since those boxes are removed.

Yep, just tuck them away somewhere. I left mine in because the autocross class I was gunning for doesn't let you modify the wiring harness, but if you wanted to be really complete you could trace the wires back through the harness and pull them completely. You can just hide them pretty easily though.
DarkHand

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
is that a cruise control motor i see? on the driver shock tower?
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

DarkHand

Looks like the air jet controller, unless you mean under there somewhere
DarkHand

Highlander

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yea, its just the air jet controller. Thought I would leave it on cause I thought I read where you need it if you want to keep the A/C working good. All my A/C stuff is still intact so I am hoping it will still work. Worth a shot anyways.

My car seems to still be in pretty good shape for an 84. I bought an extra 86 parts car that still has everything but the exterior plastic parts. I got enough good parts off it to complete my 84 exterior.

Found the header panel on Ebay, so I will probably try buying it also in a few weeks to replace the cracked one on my car.