"i Used To Have One Just Like That!"...

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
Just thought I'd vent a bit, expressing a big pet-pieve I've got going on here with my 1G CRX.

Seems like atleast once a week someone at work, or around town, etc... comes up to me and starts this conversation:

"Man, seeing your car takes me back. I used to have one JUST like that!"

(Me) "Really, that's awesome! Just like this?"

"Yeah, it was a 1989 CRX Si, just like that, just a different color. Mine was bl....."

----------------------------------------------------
OMG!!!! No, it was NOT JUST like my CRX. It was just another freaking, plain old, boring a#$ 2G CRX. Are you freakin' blind bro/ma'am. Can't you see the obvious differences in the body lines. No, of course you can't, because you are an idiot, your out of the car game. You have not had a cool car in like 20 years.

PLEASE GO GET BACK IN YOUR BORING A#$ BEIGE CAMRY. You know NOTHING about my car, and have very little knowledge of what my car is in comparison to the comfortable little modern machine that you once used to own that you think is "just" like mine.

GO THE FREAK AWAY!!!!!
------------------------------------------------------

That's what I WANT to say. Of course, I then rather casually/calmly try to educate them about the differences between an 84-87 CRX and their 88-91 CRX...at which case they then interrupt me to talk about more fond memories of thier car, and how they wish they still had it, and how life just got the best of them, and how times changed, and how their wife made them let it........................

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Anybody else have this? Really grates at me, for some reason. And I'm hard to offend!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

1986_crx_si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si
    Garage View Garage
^ AMEN!

-Aaron
5 reasons cars are better than women

5) You can rub and wax a car in your driveway and not get arrested
4) Car's don't get mad at you for no reason every 28 days
3) You can't put a bumper sticker that says "How's my driving? Dial 1-800- EAT-S*IT!" on a woman.
2) You can sell your car to a complete stranger and nobody will get mad at you
1) Women can't go 200 miles per hour.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
In fact ..I Dusted the old pile off on sunday and went to a meet my friend was at..

While driving several "ricers" commented on how clean it was and " mad tyte my ni**a" then they asked me if it was a SI ? DUH sunroof was open, then they ask me if it is stickshift.. DUH all CRX si's are manual even the newer years.

So then I get to the meet.. STUPID Q&A time:
"damn that old school is clownin" they say.. Ask me questions ..

"where did you get that bodykit is that a wings west kit or e-bay kit" It's not a body kit it was standard on the 86-87 SI ..

"where did you get that front lip off of?" Nothing it is a stock lip

"damn who did your carbon fiber style interior?" Nobody that is factory seats

"Ohh who did your motor swap to fuel injected?" Nobody , it is the stock motor.. The 85-87 si's were fuel injected.

"DAMN who painted this shit, it looks hella wet!" Nobody it is 24 year old paint from the factory.

"What you got for suspension?" "I tell them...

"what you got for front springs?" It don't have front springs "Damn you took that shit out?" NO ! These never had springs they have torsion bars "what the F*&ck is a torsion bar?"...

On and ON and ON all night with the Q&A..

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jan 19 2011, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"damn that old school is clownin" they say.. "

HA! Rollin'...Haven't heard that phrase before. That must be some new Cali-language.

I haven't heard that lingo on the "streetz" of Charlotte yet. Don't worry, it won't be long before our hard parkin', JDM shockin', girl's jeans rockin', Starbucks-4-life Honda peeps are "clownin" around here as well.... rolleyes.gif

I'll ask my Justin Beiber-loving middle school students if they have heard that phrase yet. Maybe I'll be the first on these streetz!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

crxboi

• Got Rice?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1989 CR-X Ef8 RHD , 1993 CR-X DEL SOL EG2 RHD
2gzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! FTMFWIITBGCE! laugh.gif

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
No, but I do get those comments when I drive my gen 2 crx around.

If you really want fun, debadge the gen 1 and start fielding questions on what make it is!
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

icy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 crx si
I have the same thing happen all of the time, and I always get really excited to actually talk to someone that knows what they are talking about and then find out that they had a 2gen. The last time this happened was from a guy that works at the local honda dealership and now drives a del sol. He saw my car as I pulled into the driveway and stood there talking to me about the one he used to have and was trying to get me to trade him cars lol. Then when I realised his old crx was a 2nd gen he got on the defensive and started arguing with me about how much better 2g's are! Yea...ok... gotta love livin' a town full of tuner kids, hmm, wait! I figured it out, maybe 2nd gens are better because they have more room to put neons and little tv's everywhere!! rolleyes.gif
Posted Image

~zeus~

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 Honda Civic si "BetSi" RIP, 2001 Mazda MPV, 2007 Kia Spectra
My 3g is tucked away in the garage currently.

I had the door open last week while my kids and the neighbor kids played in the snow and my neighbor and I shoveled our driveways.

My neighbor peeks in my garage and says "That's a cool old school civic you got. I used to have a 1997 civic that I loved! And then it got stolen right out of our driveway." sad.gif "What year is yours, a '94?"

Me: *facepalm*
QUOTE (Optimus Prime @ Transformers Season 2 Ep. 1)
"Megatron is behind this. I'd bet my titanium torsion bars on it."

Toneco

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 civic Sedan
[quote name='OG Wagon' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:50 PM' post='511300']

"GO THE FREAK AWAY!!!!!" pg much lol, Man ol man, people think I got a ef sedan im like is it that squared no so STF.... also FI isnt oldschool carb is old school quit ur show boating"I <3 OldSchool" my ass. get a pre 88

myspace.com/toneco9227
87 civic Sedan DD[Stolen]
93 civic EH [SOLD]
87 civic Sedan [SOLD]

Blue87Crxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 Crx Si
Serious i hate it when this happens you got to explain what a 1st gen is blink.gif

rsz_971991_671350239558346_1410908049_n_

black87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 honda crx si
yeah serious my brothers even thought it was the newest model of crx's
was up my name is antonio I <3 MY HONDA!

GENONE

• CRX Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1983 CRX (29th Build), 1991 CRX, 1984 CRX HKS Supercharged
    • Image Gallery
I had something like that happen to me just the other day - along the lines of 'I had one of those 1st Gen CRX's too - I loved the window at the back' - to which I say 'No no, thats a gen2'.

and I still get a question "are you sure? im certain mine had a window and was the very first model' - Yes, in Australia gen2s where the first models but they aren't Gen1s - plain and simple smile.gif

Posted Image
[GENONE] 1983 CRX Ballade Sports 1.5 SOHC Efi
[BANDIT] 1984 CRX Ballade Sports 1.6 DOHC HKS Supercharged
[SINISTR] 1991 CRX Si 1.6 DOHC Efi

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice. 07 MCa w/sport, no kraut.
I have about 1/2 gray hair (every bit of it is from The Man kicking me).

"Did you buy that new?"
____
(not ever the same person)

Would you like to sell that?

WTF MAN if I wanted to sell it, I would have a sign FOR SALE.
<thinking> and there's no way you could EVER afford what I'd want
for it anyway, now, pull your MFing pants up.

<says>
No man, I bought it new, I think I'll be keeping it awhile.
Besides, you dont want this one anyway, its first gen, there is only
one go fast motor that goes into it easily. You probably want the second
gen, that's the one you see more of on the road.

_____
But what I find REALLY REALLY annoying.
I buy some (in one case brake pads that were expensive) from a guy that
was a friend of a friend that had his own business. I was trying to support him, you
know how that is.

Well, he drops off Dx pads. I take my brakes apart, sure, they don't fit.
(I mean, that's when I figured out they were Dx pads, and it had happened on
the oil filter too, he kept insisting "there's been a change in the manufacturing process,
I'm sure it fits. But it was half the size). OK, I give him another chance.

I call, explain, go back over. He's not in a convient place.
Well I checked the computer and its right. Somebody must have changed your brakes
a long the way.
I bought it new. Same brakes. Your supplier thinks I have a Dx. Nothing is fitting.
I'll check into it and call you.
<no call>
<I call back>
Well, I checked the supplier, they say it is the right pads. Something must have changed on your car.
Nothing I can do.

OK fine.
<I drive down to advance auto. They have them the next day, better and cheaper than his>

____
I go to the DEALER, I want a couple of clips that hold the trim on.
I'm willing to pay the $3 each at the time because it is on my way to work.
There's no clips he says, somebody must have put a body kit on it.
"I bought it new. No body kit. That's how they come from the factory."
He got REALLY angry at that point.
(this was 10 years ago when you could still get stuff)
Well, I finally got the clips.
But WOW, what a way to promote repeat customers......

_____
If I can ever get mine back to looking nice (THANKS KAYMO) I was thinking about putting
a "hybrid" emblem on the back. Now THAT should really mess with people.

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
I've had this happen to me countless times as well... Usually its someone who knew someone else who owned one. It was always an 89' or a 90'... dry.gif And then I get the tuners that ALWAYS wanna race. I would NEVER give them the satisfaction. mad.gif And then I get the, "man I love those rims"... What are those? Si's? (see photo bellow) I dunno, I still appreciate the attention, and SOMETIMES I get someone who knows what they are talking about.

One time I had this super sweet lady who was probably in her 40's come over to me at a gas station and ask me, "IS THIS AN 85 CRX????" I said well, no ma-am its an 86' but they are alot alike. She said "I know... I had an 85Si when I was in college, bought it brand new, it was black" Long story short, she ended up sitting in it and basically taking a tour of the damn thing, she was just so excited. I offered to take her for a ride, but she didn't have the time. She brought her son over and was telling him about how she used to have one etc... I'll never forget moments like that. wink.gif

slimwhitman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 91 Acura Legend Coupe, 86 CRX Spyder, 60 DeSoto Adventurer
This topic is funny to me. Over the years, I have had several off-beat and interesting old cars. No matter what the car, as long as it was interesting (not my current ’81 Datsun 810 sedan), I would get people coming up to me saying they had one just like it. 9 times out of 10, they did not have the same car (really…you had a ’60 DeSoto like mine? They only made a few thousand of them. Sure it wasn’t a ’60 Chevy with production over 1 million that year?)

I used to try to “educate” them, but it was wasted words. Now I just smile and say something like “great car, ain’t it?”. I think the key is to approach it differently. It’s not about them being wrong or stupid, it’s about them showing interest in your car. It’s nice to meet people that show interest. Leave it at that. We should all be leaving those encounters with a smile on our face, not all frustrated. Be glad they noticed your car.

As for my CRX Spyder….. no one has ever said they had one like it or that they remember them….except a few times, and it was true. I guess the car is new enough yet unfamiliar enough that people don’t get confused. I am actually surprised how rare it is that anyone comments on the car even though it is quite clean.