One Of Those Wacky, Intermitten Probs...

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si
Okay, so I got a new distributor cap, rotor button, battery, and cables. All brand-new.

The wet weather problem..missing and all that...pretty much stopped.

But now, even after running, I kill the engine to go inside somewhere, and when I return....nothing. Not a click, nothing..

Dash lights up....all is waiting, but nothing.

Voltage on battery reads 12.33 while off.

Here's where it gets weird...if I back it up by FOOT and slightly pop the clutch,(but not actually moving the car more than a few feet, and at no point trying to get the ol' clutch pop to work, just kinda like moving the drivetrain around just a bit) and THEN turn the key, it hits and starts.

If that is a funky description, I'm sorry...it doesn't make sense to me either. It's like there is a spot where the key won't activate the starting process, and by slightly moving the drivetrain around, it then works. I'm out of ideas.

All help very welcome. Could it be some type of solenoid thing?
Cannot drive with the window up

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
sounds like a starter solenoid problem or an ignition switch problem. first check the connections on your battery and starter. after you confirm they are good them check for power to the starter solenoid wire while someone turn's the key. if you have power there when key is turned but the starter doesnt turn over then you have a solenoid/starter problem.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Thing was, I got that new starter put on, thinking it would fix it. And it didn't.

I used to think removing the key and then reinserting it sometimes worked. Sometimes, you just do that and it did seem to work, but then again, I've left the key in and turned it back and forth, and same thing. And we had a guy jumpstart it, and it fired first thing.

Thanks for the help, I'll have someone help me test the starter solenoid wire voltage first thing.

CRX_1986_Si

Might be the ignition switch wiring, or the actual ignition box (where you put the key). It sounds like a wiring problem since you have new parts.
You're mad at your father. not at me!

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
My money is on the ignition switch. I have had similar problems with a couple of my CRX"s and it turned out to be the ignition switch. I would have to turn the key really hard to get one of mine to crank. I also thot it was the solenoid or starter and wiring but it was the switch. not hard to replace, you do not have to replace the lock just the switch. You can replace the ignition switch without removing the ignition lock from the column.
http://www.redpepper...26/aaf.png.html
Jeff

zrostr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX SI
motherinlaws montero was doin that and it ended up being that some one replaced the battery cables but didnt tighten them right. i would make shure the clamps that go around the battery post are tight and have a good connection.
a bad day working on my honda is better than a good day at work

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
I think that is it, the switch. Seems like I was able to turn the key, pushing it a bit up, and it caught.

Of course, this mornng, had 12.3 volts at the starter without the key even in the hole. And it started first thing..

Argh.

Jeff, that link is busted, or broken. Is there another way to that article, cause where this car sat for a long time, i've had all sorts of dinky little things like this..so I'm thinking that switch needs changing.

Either way, can't trust the car to get me home.

Thanks for all who chimed in.

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Tim @ Jun 1 2010, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Argh.
Jeff, that link is busted, or broken.

Sorry:
http://www.redpepper...26/aaf.png.html
I have replaced the switch with out drilling out the bolts. Just unscrew the switch from the lock from the back side, there is just enough room to remove. (I love Honda's)
Jeff

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
So I pull the dash trim, the steering shaft cover, and voila??

Sweet. Got the flexpipe on the exhaust fixed yesterday, and aligned (2.6 degrees out on BOTH sides....with double adjustable Koni's, they were able to get it to 1.2 and 1.3 respectively, negative camber) and after the mechanic pulled it up front, I shouted...

DONT TURN IT OFF!!!!! IT MIGHT NOT START AGAIN!

Luckily, got it home.

Part comes in tmw. We'll see....