Tachometer Not Working, 3G Civic Si

• You cannot reply to this topic
35 replies to this topic

ADDvanced

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si, 90 Civic Si, 00 Insight 5spd, 77 Porsche 911s, 95 Audi S6 Avant, 99 Astro

The tach isn't working at all.  Where do I start?

I build cool shit  :ph34r:

https://www.youtube.com/addvanced

CSPCRX

Tells us about the car.  Stock? Any mods?  What motor?  Auto or manual?

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

ADDvanced

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si, 90 Civic Si, 00 Insight 5spd, 77 Porsche 911s, 95 Audi S6 Avant, 99 Astro

86 Civic SI, 100% stock, no mods, rust free, owned by little old lady.

A couple years ago the tach would bounce around on the freeway and act crazy, but then it just.... stopped entirely.  Car still runs fine.   Not sure where to start.

You can see the car for a couple seconds in this video:

Edited by ADDvanced, 10 May 2021 - 08:22 PM.

CSPCRX

Signal comes from the distributor so I would check the plug at the distributor to ensure your getting a good connection.  

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

ADDvanced

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Ok, through random googling I found out this may be a sign of a failing ignitor module.   I pulled the distributor, and sho'nuff, the ignitor module is out of spec, continuity is not showing up at all between the A/B posts.   So.... off to find one fo those and see if it cures the problem.  It was behaving erratically, not just cutting in and out, but flopping all over the place when it was failing, so I'm guessing this one is donezo.

Second question:  My car is overheating.   I have drained the radiator and swapped out the temp sensor, but it still didn't help so I wired the sensor together so the radiator fan runs whenever the car is on.  It's still overheating.   

Could the radiator just be an old piece of shit/clogged?

CSPCRX

Sorry to hear it was more than just a connection but that makes sense.

cooling could be several things like water pump, thermostat or as you said the radiator.  Here is what I would do.

pull the cap and start the car cold.  Make sure radiator is full enough you can see the water from the cap opening.  Once it warms up you should see the water drop a little and start flowing.  Upper hose and lower hose should feel equally warm after this happens.  If the water doesn’t start to flow that may mean the thermostat is bad.  On those motors if your going that far, to replace the thermostat you might as well do the water pump for good measure.  

if you are seeing flow but seems sluggish could be an indication of a clogged radiator as well.

hope this helps

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

letank

as for overheating.... check your radiator cap seal... my temperature gauge was acting up on slow down...  upper and lower radiator hoses had the right temperature differential, checked thermostat, fine...  so I Dc'ed the AC compressor so the AC fan would turn on as needed... one day, there was a small coolant puddle ... ah, ah, here was the culprit a failed 34 year old radiator cap...  a new radiator cap did the job, it has been fine since the last summer

ADDvanced

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Update!   Picked up a new ignitor since mine tested bad...  for a Prelude 2.0, found on Ebay for $17.   Good news is it works, car runs fine, so it's official, Prelude 2.0 ignitors are Civic Si/CRX si Ignitors, and WAY cheaper.

That said.... still no tach movement.   Dammit.  

What are the next steps?  Pull the cluster?   I don't know where I will find another one.

CSPCRX

Several clusters on eBay.  Sorry was hoping the issue was with the tach feed from the distributor.  I believe you can test to see if signal is coming from the distributor with a multimeter.  I would try that before buying a cluster.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

ADDvanced

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Update:  Used a meter set to the HZ setting on the blue wire coming into the cluster, bigger connector, just right of center.   Was reading 50-60 hz and would go up/respond when I hit the throttle, so I would assume up to this point anyway, wiring is good.

Disassembled the cluster, see no visual signs of leaking caps/bad solder joints, so I guess I'm just lost.  Even traced teh traces with the meter and the signal is getting into the tach, it's just not doing anything.   

So I checked ebay, yeah, a few clusters, but some of them have WHITE graphics over a black background, but my OEM cluster has orange/amber graphics over a black background.  Other than that they look identical.   What's the difference between white and amber?

CSPCRX

Sorry I can’t help you with that.  Sounds like you at least isolated it.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

ADDvanced

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

God dammit.  New cluster came in.  STILL no tach.

So I've replaced the ignitor, it seems like the lead on the harness is providing a signal... wtfffff

CSPCRX

That sucks!  Something has to have changed, so you had a tach then it stopped.  I would check resistance from the cluster connector to the connector at the distributor.  Just to rule out a short that’s reducing signal strength.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
that igniter crosses over several cars. i bought a couple a few years back from a dealers nos stock for the 80’s teg

i have no experience w ur situation. but have been having lightbulb and headlights go out on my 87 crxsi. wiggling connectors actually fixes it. so pull ur ecu connectors. wipe w alcohol. run them in and about 5 times and see if that does anything

please keep us posted. after 35 years, we’re getting weird stuff happening. these cars aren’t rocket science. someone will figure it out. please keep us posted

oh, i did have a fuse box terminal widen out where it intermittently shut off the radio. had to bend it back tighter and reinsert fuse.

point. check connectors
Keepin' it OEM

ADDvanced

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

I've wiggled the instrument harness, and all the harness under the hood, 100% dead, either cluster.   Driving me insane.