Intermittent Miss?

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

IamNOTaRicer

• U sux0rz @ teh intArweb
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '86 Civic Si, '81 Mazda RX-7
I posted this is the 3G section, but we don't seem to get the traffic there as we do here. Same engine, so some of you guys might be able to help...

Okay, this is really starting to bug me... some background of the car: It's an '86 Civic Si, last motor lost compression in a cylinder. Bought a rebuilt engine from an '85 CRX Si. Swapped distributor, throttle body and air intake temperature sensor from my old engine so my wiring harness would not need modified. Added an HKS "cold" air intake and DC header. My problem is the following: Occasionally, it'll develop a bad miss. Happens at random. I can't cause it, it just does it. It's similar to pulling one spark plug wire off and running the engine. It will run that way while I'm driving for anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes, then it feels like you reconnected the plug wire. On a 40 minute drive, it did this approximately 6 or 7 times. I checked my plug wires; while somewhat loose on the plug, they did snap onto plug audibly. Wires are not in looms, but I could not see any arcing while running at night. Also, no cracks or chafes in the wires. Plugs are tight and so are the resistor tips. Coil is connected tightly. For some reason my O2 sensor was loose. I tightened it back up, but did not help any. I also tried new plugs and wires, but that did not solve the problem. What should be checked next? Thanks guys...

GIFF

• The Integrated Technology CF-48 Exclusive Gear For Honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI, 94 Integra, 09 Fit
    • Image Gallery
well i had this happining a while back but it was missing a lot. i replaced the sparks and wires. did nothing. eventually i found out it was the distributor. sad.gif

*EDIT*

oops I forgot I replaced the dizzy and my mechanic screwed up the timing. the problem was timing, check that.

Edited by GIFF, 02 January 2006 - 01:48 PM.

SportInjectedClub

PM me if you have these for sale:
OEM or DS Tuning Floor mats

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Honda distributors have a well earned reputation for self-destructing. I would check the the insides of the distributor for red dust. The more red dust you see the more likely it is that the distributor is circleing the drain.

Also remove the ignitor and clean the contacts with electrical contact cleaner, there is a chance that the problem could be bad contact at the ignitor.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

IamNOTaRicer

• PipPip
Well, I pulled the cap and rotor, and sure enough, a good bit of the infamous red dust. Looks like I'll be hunting a distributor now...

GIFF

• The Integrated Technology CF-48 Exclusive Gear For Honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI, 94 Integra, 09 Fit
    • Image Gallery
here is one for sale $8 bucks link

number 7 on the list.

SportInjectedClub

PM me if you have these for sale:
OEM or DS Tuning Floor mats

IamNOTaRicer

• PipPip
Okay, an update... problem still exisits. I've installed a known good distributor, known good ignitor, brand new, properly gapped NGK plugs and a brand new set of plug wires. The problem is no longer intermittent, it's always there. It's doing exactly the same thing as before I replaced the engine. Any more advice? I'm getting sick of hanging parts on a $250 car...

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Have you replaced the coil? and checked all the electrical connections leading to the coil?

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

IamNOTaRicer

• PipPip
Tried another known good coil, connections were clean and tight, new O2 sensor and still it "misses"... I'm really lost now....

xfurb

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Have you determined is it intermittently dropping across all cylinders? Or is it just one cylinder dropping and if its only one cylinder is the same one? I think you have addressed the fire issue plugs, wires, distributor, cap, rotor, coil.... the only thing left is fuel... think.. dry.gif . Maybe an electrical connection in an injector? Probably not a plugged injector ‘cause it wouldn’t fail and come back so... cleanly.

~dan
Long time Honda driver
'87 CRX DX
'78 Accord

IamNOTaRicer

• PipPip
After lots of parts hanging and head-scratching, the problem has been fixed. Injector #2 wasn't getting any electricity. Replaced the injector resistor box with a known good one and didn't solve it. In a last ditch effort we decided to swap computers. Bingo. Computer got wet and went nuts. Turns out the metal we welded in to patch the rusted floors rusted back through again and let water it. At least it's running correctly now...