Intermittent Miss?

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

IamNOTaRicer

• U sux0rz @ teh intArweb
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '86 Civic Si, '81 Mazda RX-7
Okay, this is really starting to bug me... some background of the car: It's an '86 Civic Si, last motor lost compression in a cylinder. Bought a rebuilt engine from an '85 CRX Si. Swapped distributor, throttle body and air intake temperature sensor from my old engine so my wiring harness would not need modified. Added an HKS "cold" air intake and DC header. My problem is the following: Occasionally, it'll develop a bad miss. Happens at random. I can't cause it, it just does it. It's similar to pulling one spark plug wire off and running the engine. It will run that way while I'm driving for anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes, then it feels like you reconnected the plug wire. On a 40 minute drive, it did this approximately 6 or 7 times. I checked my plug wires; while somewhat loose on the plug, they did snap onto plug audibly. Wires are not in looms, but I could not see any arcing while running at night. Also, no cracks or chafes in the wires. Plugs are tight and so are the resistor tips. Coil is connected tightly. For some reason my O2 sensor was loose. I tightened it back up, but did not help any. What should be checked next? Thanks guys...

xfurb

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Is it one cylinder? To check pull plug wires one at a time while its missing. If it gets really bad plug it back in it’s not that one. If there is no change- bingo! You found the cylinder.
I have had problem were I bought new NGK’s plugs and week later felt like I lost a cylinder. Shut down the engine dig around under the hood sometimes, start it back up miss is gone. Fiddle around like that for a week put the old plugs back in problem was gone... Short story long found a bad plug. If it’s not a plug then Fuel, -bad injector? Does ODB0 flash an engine light with a bad or plugged injector? unsure.gif
~dan

If you got fire and no bang you need more gas!
Don’t ground yourself when pulling plug wires -45,000 volts bites! Feeling in you arms is overrated anyway. tongue.gif
Long time Honda driver
'87 CRX DX
'78 Accord

Computer

• Brian spilner racing team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX DX, 03 MT IS300
    Garage View Garage
lol i cant tell you how many times ive electrocuted myself on the dizzy. Im scared to even get around it now.

Sounds to me like an injector is getting stuck. Possibly?

86 crx

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
its not so bad.. but then again im an electricain so im used to a good shock here and there

i have also had a similar experience with bad spark plugs.. i suggest trying some different ones for a couple days
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image