Im Stuck Need Some Help

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

Sad-Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF
Ok Daddy got a new project, just replaced the Head with new cam last week. 86 DX crx
Also
New Fuel pump
New Fuel Lines
Filters
Random hoses
Cap and Rotare
Wires
NGK plugs
Water Pump
Tentioner
Timing Belt
Altinator Belt
Fuses
Battery

other minor random things

My question is, when we go to start the car, it just turns over and over and over and never fires, we have had a couple small back fires and a little puff through the carb once. The motor has compresstion and is getting gas and spark. Funny thing is after tring to start the car and pull the plugs, the plugs are clean, have a lil gas on them and look as though they are not firing. but theres spark

Thinking maybe timing, i double checked the manual on the car and im sure i got it right, can anyone help me out? maybe some pics to better explain

would love to get this car running and finish some minor things so we can get it painted

Edited by Sad-Rex, 10 January 2008 - 10:00 PM.

604_Crx

• My car is older than i am...
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
Is the distributor flipped 180 to the camshaft?
I know when i replaced my head i didn't have my distributor flipped the right way, it just backfired a few times and pissed me off alot.
its real easy because its just the little shaft inside the distributor and from the back it all looks the same!

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Also check plug wires 2 and 3. Not sure how I did it but I managed to get them swapped, and had the exact same symptoms.

Tom
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 87 crx si and 84 crx(Straman Spyder), 91 Chevy silverado, 87 lynx 5th wheel
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Also make sure your motor is grounded to the chassis, I"ve had that problem before and it drove me nuts and then I felt stupid after I figured it out.
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

Sad-Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Wow thanks, ill try the distrib in the morning, whats the easiest way to do it? jsut take it off and put it back on right?

The wires are all right and i have the grounds attachted

Sgt. Pepper

I had the same problem, turns out my timing was off (alot). rolleyes.gif
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

604_Crx

• My car is older than i am...
  • PipPip
Take the distributor off, rotate the inner shaft 180 and put it back on.

Sad-Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
great, also one other thing

The timeing, on the under drive pulley i have it lined up with the 3 lil tik marks, but i mite be off on the head, i leveld out the 2 marks so they sit flat left and right, but unlike my 91 crx, this dosnt have a third mark, anyone know where it was or how this shoud look?

Just double checking on my timing thats all.

Thanks again, would love to have this on the road this weekend

Edited by Sad-Rex, 11 January 2008 - 03:54 AM.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Sad-Rex @ Jan 11 2008, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...under drive pulley...

You problem is defintely a timing issue. I would start by putting the stock pully back on the engine, I have had bad luck with aftermarket underdrive pulleys.

Start from the begining: check your cam timing FIRST!!!!. Cam timing is the cause of a lot of problems. Once you are sure of your cam timing and can set the engine to TDC and all the rest of your timing issues should go away.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Sad-Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i dont have an after market pulley, its the factory one.........

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
The timeing, on the under drive pulley

i dont have an after market pulley, its the factory one.........

OK, I am confused. Is it underdrive or is it stock?

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
when looking at the head from the gear side, the 3 holes will be in an upsidedown triangle with the 2 lines lining up with the head profile.

Bottom pully (get a drop light) You have the car lined up on the 3 little marks WRONG (don't worry) nothings screwed up. Just to the right of the 3 marks (aproximatley one inch) is the TDC mark, line it up with the cover. (its there, you may have to clean the pully to see it but it is there. Then when you find it, get a marker and mark both sides of the valley the alternator belt sits in, so its easier next time.

Once you get everything to TDC and the belt on (not tight, just on) According to the Factory Service manual: (you may need someone to help you) Turn the crank pulley counter clockwise to place tension on the adjustment pulley (this is the proper amount of tension) and tighten down the tensioner. If crank bolt loosens during this process, place car in reverse and apply the parking brake. And retry process again.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Sad-Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Wow thanks Bad, ill try it first thing tommorow and ill give you all an update if it fires, thanks alot

Sad-Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Hey guys, still no luck

I have it set on time they way Badpenny said. but the car still just cranks. i going to lean maybe towards bad gas for right now, i can really think of anyone else, this car is completey STOCK

4N2NR

• Fossil of the forum
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si, 1990 CRX Si, 2013 Cadillac SRX, 2003 Hummer H2
    Garage View Garage
Will it run with a shot of ether? Or, since it is carbed, can you gravity feed some known good gas into it and get it to run?
I put the FUN in dysfunctional!
Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.

SEX - StreetEXtremes