87 Crx Si Piston Rods

• You cannot reply to this topic
73 replies to this topic

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 20 F150, 17 JGC Trailhawk, 90 DA Teggy STL Racecar, 92 DA Project, 92 DA Parts Car, 86 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 70 MGB GT project, 73 MGB GT parts car, I have issues!

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I have a question... I'm just stepping back into the 1st gen stuff, after a 7 year absence, so on the PG6 Pistons, what size do you need?  Can we still deck the head and block?  I'm just looking to build a street/autox toy that's all i'm doing.

hoop
greensboro, nc
20 F150, 17 JGC Trailhawk, 90 DA STL Racecar, 92 DA Project, 92 DA parts car, 86 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 70 MGB GT project, 73 MGB GT parts car... I may have issues!

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I have a question... I'm just stepping back into the 1st gen stuff, after a 7 year absence, so on the PG6 Pistons, what size do you need?  Can we still deck the head and block?  I'm just looking to build a street/autox toy that's all i'm doing.

Thread jacking on...

http://www.ebay.com/...m-/161233245829 - you can get then without full floating/no coating, etc. - http://www.ebay.com/...tVWu0fR&vxp=mtr

You want standard size as they are 76mm pistons vs 75mm for factory EW stuff...1mm overbore is perfectly safe for these blocks.  Use a torque plate when doing the over bore~

Thread jacking end...(go back to the Sandbox...) lol

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 20 F150, 17 JGC Trailhawk, 90 DA Teggy STL Racecar, 92 DA Project, 92 DA Parts Car, 86 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 70 MGB GT project, 73 MGB GT parts car, I have issues!

Thread jacking on...

- you can get then without full floating/no coating, etc.

-   Use a torque plate when doing the over bore~

Thread jacking end...(go back to the Sandbox...) lol

I won't be doing the machine work, a shop to be named later will handle that!  What is "full floating"?   

Ruck?!  WTF!  Well, now we know... how you been? 

hoop
greensboro, nc
20 F150, 17 JGC Trailhawk, 90 DA STL Racecar, 92 DA Project, 92 DA parts car, 86 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 70 MGB GT project, 73 MGB GT parts car... I may have issues!

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Full floating means the wrist pin is not pressed into the rod/piston assembly - it uses snap rings in the wrist pin bore where to keep the wrist pin centered.  It provides for a little more freedom of movement, less inclination to bind in the bore under heavy load...all the racers do it!

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
sounds like something else to go wrong. do they dyno much different?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
hoop
greensboro, nc

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

They will with the ones with the anti-scuff coating on the skirts - how much, maybe 1% on a really hot motor.  But, you don't need a press to assemble them and I have never seen one of the circlips fail...I have run a bunch of them...

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
1% on a d15 every one counts

hoop
greensboro, nc

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

1% on a d15 every one counts

That's the spirit...now get a PE3 head and ditch the PE7 head...

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
finding that shit is tough... plus this thing came with factory ac... gots to have my ac

hoop
greensboro, nc

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

finding that shit is tough... plus this thing came with factory ac... gots to have my ac

I'm an idiot... tell me about the pe3. (insert sandbox thread reference here... "tonight's libation")

hoop
greensboro, nc

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

The PE3 head is the Canadian DX head from the same model years and it has a much better combustion chamber design.  Good quench built into the head and it is easier to make compression with.  

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

Excuse me while I butt in here... Any idea's why they had a different head on the DX engine in Canada?  Emissions standards?  Good info there.

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

I'm an idiot... tell me about the pe3. (insert sandbox thread reference here... "tonight's libation")

Sooo unobtainium then?!

Anyone got a D16 head they want to loan me?  :blush:   The block has been torn down, everything looks great, and I should get it off to the machine shop this week or next. (i'm not messing around on this)  Finding someone that can PP the head and extrude the intake has been a challenge.  All the shops are busy.  

hoop
greensboro, nc

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

D16 head?  only one that is a bolt on is the A1 head form the first Integra motors.  What are you trying to do?

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
just have fun. you know I found the numbers from old itb build, got 96.5hp and 99ftlbs w/o engine management or Blake's magic

hoop
greensboro, nc