• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery

Ok, so as you may or may not know I got my OBD-1 Hydra running and need some help with the tranny.  This motor makes really great power, but the factory Si tranny's gearing is... we'll say lacking.  To any and everyone who has the shortened final drive in their CRX/Civic gearbox's, is there any place you can still get them other than waiting around for a fellow racer to come off of one?  I'm sure they are worth a fortune, but I figured I would start my search now.  Many thanks peppers!

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx

DNR, a honda racing shop in hayward ca says, no gearing available for this car. I don't change gearing because it just costs too much money, I focus on torque instead. Gearing is big, as far as performance goes, but it gets down to how fast do you want to go, and how much money are you willing to spend. I run a stock tranny with a welded diff, witch is excellent for rallyx, good for open track (except in the pits) and poor for autocross. The welded diff sucks in the slalom, and the gearing is worse yet, but even with handicaps, its a fast autocrosser, Dave

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery

Mugen made the 4.93 final drive for our cars.
I think Houseman also used to make them, but I don't know if they still do.

I didn't see it listed on their website.

The 4.93 makes a Huge difference.  Instead of your RPMs dropping 2000+ RPMs and right out of your powerband when you shift, the RPM drop will be in the 1500 RPM range, which puts you right back into your powerband when you shift.  

I sold the extra one I had a couple of years ago.  I still can't figure out why more people weren't interested in it.
It is one of the best performance mods you can make if you are truly serious.

Good luck finding one.  They are extremely rare.

MK

You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

rockosocko

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 2 many 2 list..

Have you called Syncrotech about what they have?

The person I talked to said that sometimes they get 'trade ins' and come up with 'stuff'..

I got an SI (4.25) F/D from them a couple years ago and remember them saying that they had a couple, but didn't want to go that far with mine.

I have more Highways around me than urban stoplights every 3 blocks.

What size tires do you have?

If brakes will let you, go down to a 13"

E

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

You could look at changing the gear ratios themselves rather than the final drives.  I have a CG (D16A1) gearbox with different 2, 3 and 4 gear ratios which is ex race car.  Be a mission, but more likely to get you an outcome.

anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

KSousa

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si, 1986 integra LS

I have found that the 86-87 Si trans has a slightly shorter Final drive than an 85Si trans, as well as a slightly shorter 3rd and 4th gear. Not much difference, but if you have an 85 trans, its enough difference to notice, and you can find those for relatively cheap.

Check out my build!http://www.redpepper...showtopic=48435
custom extended fiberglass rear spoiler that wont develop rust bumps and weighs half as much as oem!http://www.redpepper...showtopic=55523
Tired of replacing/fixing your brittle plastic fenders? Wihttp://www.redpepper...showtopic=55674

Buford

• Merlin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Toyota Tundra SR5

Houseman still will make them.  Last Group buy was done by GTPILOT. I got in on that one. I have 2 of them ( not selling)  If there is 10 people who want to do a group but I'm sure Houseman will make them.

Buford Out

KSousa

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si, 1986 integra LS

How much did each come out to through the group buy? just curious

Check out my build!http://www.redpepper...showtopic=48435
custom extended fiberglass rear spoiler that wont develop rust bumps and weighs half as much as oem!http://www.redpepper...showtopic=55523
Tired of replacing/fixing your brittle plastic fenders? Wihttp://www.redpepper...showtopic=55674

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery

I have found that the 86-87 Si trans has a slightly shorter Final drive than an 85Si trans, as well as a slightly shorter 3rd and 4th gear. Not much difference, but if you have an 85 trans, its enough difference to notice, and you can find those for relatively cheap.

The difference between the two final drive ratios is damn near indiscernible, 4.428:1 (85) to 4.400:1 (86-7). Not only that but you wouldn't be able to swap the other gears without some major machine work. The mainshaft and countershafts between the two year models have different lengths by about 10mm. Since the main input shaft gears are machined on the shaft they would have to be cut off with a lathe and then pressed/welded to the other shaft after those were removed.

Still doubt the small change in ratio would be of any benefit though.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery