Successfully Passed The Crx Legacy To My Children

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
My daughter turned 16 and she'll get her license in a few months. So I've been working her into manual trannys for some time.... with the crx in mind of course as the master plan!

I used to place her on my lap and we'd drive the neighborhood together back in 2001-04 Then when she was in the sixth grade, her legs were long enough to work the clutch on my IS300. I always had her drive that car being a 6 cylinder and was an easy clutch to teach.

So I pull the beater outta the barn two days ago. She gets in and we drive the back country roads for about an hour and a half. She only stalled it once. Awesome for her first time actually driving the Rex and a four banger!

We clocked another couple of hours in old Betsy tonight. So she explains to me how fun it is to drive this car... winding through the the country roads.. She talks about her first memories on my lap driving the car... Apparently she tells me about crx videos she's looking up the night before and tells me about Fan Boys 20 min video... It worked! Froid was a genius! She tells me She wants old Betsy, but we compromised on the straman instead. So I'll drop the carb and pop in the SI drivetrain this winter and get her going

Now for the next one. He's 12 and we had a conversation about his first car several months ago. My jaw dropped when he asked me for a CRX -- #3 is his! So this gives us time to pull the motor/tranny and swap all the seals/hoses w my old stock. Really looking forward working on this with him. Need to slap a new coat of Rio on that old girl. I took a different Froidian approach w him. Hes had a Honda media kit poster on his wall since forever. It's time to get him some wheel time this summer His legs are long enough

Last time I was a passenger in my crx was 20 years ago on a road trip w my wife. I'm good w the kids driving me around. Parent taught drivers ed was one of the best things I ever could have done!!
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion

This is cool.  My daughter has her drivers test within a month.  We've been been driving the Rex around a lot lately.   She asks me earlier this week if she can take the test in the CRX!    Game on!

She wants to drive it to school as well.   School's parking lot is like a bumper car arena.   I've got to think this one over a bit.

Keepin' it OEM

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

Well done sir!... although you're a brave man to let her drive the CRX :D

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

That is great to hear.

Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
She got her license last week. Unfortunately, the nerves got to her for the test. So she drove one of the automatics instead. I was there for the test and it was for the better. She passed! She took out the crx w one of her friends the next day. She hasn't driven it to school yet. Looking forward to it
Keepin' it OEM

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
I think that's Awesome!

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
I think that's Awesome!

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Kid #2 begins drivers ed. Doing the parent self taught again. Had him drive the beater a few years ago. So he’s got the hang of the clutch. Looking forward to brainwashing my #2. i still have the red #3 w 108K sitting in my storage on the side of the house for him. Upcoming refresh on this car. Can’t wait to have him drive his car to HS

Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

Awesome!

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

1g Supremacy

I tried. My sister (who's 11 years younger than me) has been having issues learning to drive. She says she gets extremely nervous when she gets behind the wheel of any of the larger vehicles in the family. My 1st gen isn't in any condition to be teaching anyone to drive in so I bought her a 97 del Sol Si. Technically it's a CRX! 

Well, she still hasn't shown any interest in driving, so I guess I added another CRX to the stable.  

CSPCRX

JDM Del Sol was referenced as a CRX frequently.  

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

1g Supremacy

Yup. And when we were redoing the badging after paint I made sure to take advantage of that fact.

image_url-1351-1621414030.jpg

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
he gets his drivers permit next week. the beater is tip top and ready to train. probably the 20th person to learn manual on this crx
Keepin' it OEM

CSPCRX

That’s very cool.  So many now do not even learn how to drive a manual.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
sons doing great on the clutch. we’re driving to school everyday now. he enjoys the feel of the stick, “i’m in control” he says... well pick up his girlfriend and she crawls in the back
Keepin' it OEM