Mini Me Question...

• You cannot reply to this topic
31 replies to this topic

sirx31

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 98 civic ex, mazda b2000
i have a mini me setup waiting to be put into my engine bay in my 87 si and it consists of a A6 block, Z6 head, B16A1 ECU...the thing is that i also have a turbo kit lined up for this setup also...so the question is when placing the turbo on and planning for 6-8 psi what should i do about pistons? should i just spend some cash and buy some forged pistons and rods or rip some from another block?
Which would be best?
unsure.gif

tjbizzo

• pumice my corns
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si Crapmobile
QUOTE (sirx31 @ Mar 2 2005, 01:18 AM)
i have a mini me setup waiting to be put into my engine bay in my 87 si and it consists of a A6 block, Z6 head, B16A1 ECU...the thing is that i also have a turbo kit lined up for this setup also...so the question is when placing the turbo on and planning for 6-8 psi what should i do about pistons? should i just spend some cash and buy some forged pistons and rods or rip some from another block?
Which would be best?
unsure.gif

ALL stock d-series pistons and rods are fairly weak for turbo use. You CAN use them, but the chance that they will eventually fail is pretty likely. When you buy pistons make SURE they are for turbo use, i.e. nice thick ring lands that won't flex and break. Almost any aftermarket rods are a lot stronger than stock rods so it's hard to go wrong there. Just make sure that you use good bolts with them. And don't forget the three basics of turbocharging ... TUNING, TUNING, and TUNING!!!
Posted Image

sirx31

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
thanks for the info there tj...now the next thing is what piston/rods do you recommend? and remember i am only gonna be pushing 6-8 psi...
smile.gif

sirx31

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
another question is what motor mounts am i gonna be using? i htink thats it...i have everything else rolleyes.gif

hoopty dx

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic, 92 civic, 06 taco
    • Image Gallery
custom,you have to make them.... dry.gif
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Jun 22 2004, 06:08 PM)
They got that engine out withtheir mighty facial hair cant you see

Team BUrnOUt Member # 3

sirx31

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (84 Hoopty @ Mar 3 2005, 08:30 PM)

well how much of a hassle is that... sad.gif oh well if it must be done then it shall...there is a shop here in town and the guy said he can make them with an ease plus he also told me that the ones for the A6 block will fit but they will have to be moded a bit...but i'll find out for sure here pretty soon...

also still have the question about the rods/pistons in the air "which ones would be best to go with for pushing 6-8 psi of boost?"

wessider

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 honda crx si, 94 vw golf, 2005 chev cav.
i did a mini me on my friends 92 civic hb. we have yet to turbo it. I know it does lean out when v-tec kicks in so i agree, TUNE TUNE TUNE. no matter what you reinforce engines don't like detonation.

I looked into internals when my d16a1. being similar i'd stay dished piston are the safest. any brand (stick to the commons there isn't a big price differance) i looked at the h-beam con rods from crowler? i think? they come with arp bolt (nice touch) and seem indestructable.

I don't have first hand experience so take these as suggestions...to rich for me, i touched up my rods and remove possible stress points, used the stock pistons as they are dished not domed.

The advantage to dished is that they alow you to up the boost down the road and not stay with a reasonable compression ratio. Trust me i'm running 7spi on my d16 (non- v tec of course) and i already want more boost.

If you can afford to upgrade the interenals do it, it's cheaper to do sooner than later and it's good insurance when tuning it your self.

Good Luck.

sirx31

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
yeah i will be doing that for sure...see the cool thing is this is a group effort! for example a 2 friends, and my step bother, and i are all investing into it and building it up for the Solo2 SCCA class here in town so coming up with the money isnt too much of a problem for us! we all have income as well so we are not going cheap either

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

is an a6 block a d16a6? if so cant you use the same mounts as a d16a1?

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
The a6 is a different block i believe, you will need to fabricate mounts.

Julian

Edited by 87MugenProCR-X, 09 March 2005 - 10:26 PM.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (jeff420 @ Mar 9 2005, 06:54 PM)

is an a6 block a d16a6? if so cant you use the same mounts as a d16a1?

It is, and no, you cant.

Here is where the stock A6 mount sits in an 87:

Here is where the tranny sits:

Here is the rear mount we made:

The modified drivers side mount:

The new tranny mount:

And just for shits and giggles, the cable to hydro conversion we made:

What it looked like until a couple of weeks ago:

So, if you think you can build that, then yeah, it's doable.

Tom
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

sirx31

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i have no doubt that we here can make those but in case there is a company that can right? wink.gif

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yeah us. We don't come cheap though... smile.gif

sirx31

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (rpr @ Mar 10 2005, 02:51 PM)
Yeah us. We don't come cheap though... smile.gif

so how much is not cheap?
huh.gif

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Well, you'd have to fly both of us down to Texas, feed us and ply us with beer, provide some 'entertainment' and then we'd consider building the mounts... smile.gif