39 replies to this topic

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Just as an update-

It is a 1990 Prelude Si with 157,000 California miles. That means no rust.

Way back in the day if I wanted a car when I was 16, I bought my own car. And I fully expected to have the same policy for my kids. But life has a way of throwing you some curves and things do not work out the way you would expect. I am in a situation where I need another driver in the family and my son has earned some big props so he deserves this car.

Of course I have also told him that if he crashes this car there will be two police reports: The traffic accident and his murder.

J/K

Maybe

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
cmon everyone crashes their first car thats why you get kids a real POS

bombayscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 crx dx
haha the only peice of advice i have...if your old enough to have a car, your old enough to have your own insurance....DONT PUT IT UNDER YOUR NAME, that way if he crashes its his balls not yours and he learns

bryman10

• Sterno
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2006 Acura TSX 6MT, 2012 Honda Civic LX sedan (wifey's); 1996 Toyota Celica GT convertible (for sale)
    • Image Gallery
Scott,
I thought you bought him a Mazda GTX (4WD turbo?)or something?
Anyway, I think there are some options for the 3rd gen preludes ('88-'91) out there (granted, not as plentiful as the newer cars).
If you're REALLY ambitious, you could always do this:
project turbo luder
hehe.

QUOTE (Ghost-One @ May 4 2005, 10:26 PM)
cmon everyone crashes their first car  thats why you get kids a real POS

Umm.....no, not everyone does this (especially if your father is/was a hardass driver's ed. instructor) ohmy.gif

bryman
Who the hell is this Zed C. person????
my ebay ID: sterno10

"Please", "I appreciate it", "thank you very much", "I'm sorry"= common courtesy....what a great concept (ESPECIALLY for business)!!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Wagonvan clan member

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
No. No turbos.

The GTX was a brief flirtation. I never bought that car for a variety of reasons. Anyway, the cbstdscott family will have three Hondas on display at the Weenie Roast.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

mayhem019

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I drive a '90 Prelude Si and I think it is an awesome daily driver. Heavier car makes for a good solid comfortable ride compared to the civic. Lots of low end torque too... The motor has bad oil circulation problems and rod bearings often go out on these cars (number 3 rod bearing goes first usually) If you hear ticking and its not the valves out of adjustment check the rod bearings! I didnt know they would actually tick but they do, its weird. I think honda saw the potential with the later gen B series motors and were quick to move on sad.gif
user posted image

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ May 4 2005, 05:26 PM)
cmon everyone crashes their first car  thats why you get kids a real POS

not here!! maybe cause i did dump 4geees into a 2g crx.. man, i loved that car. i need another.. bad. oh well..

btw, i didn't mean to be rude about the "i bought my own first car" comment..

just hope to god he takes care of it!! teach 'em right!
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

s.wilson

• the guy who doesn't own a 1G Rex anymore
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '94 Civic Coupe, '95 DOHC Neon Coupe
    Garage View Garage
Dang, you're nice to your kid. I had to buy my first car...'97 Dodge Neon DOHC, still have it too! I think I've put like 7k into it in the past 1.5 - 2 or so years. I'm proud of it, and my brother decided he wants it now that he's 16 so I gave it to him for $1500...low miles too (74k) He got a steal smile.gif

RexBoy21

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si
well, im 16 and i bought my car last february, when i was 15. i think i should have waited for a better deal in a way, it was like 1200 bucks. i had to pay for half. the car needs bodywork still but mechanically the car is in great conditon.

ELITEX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX si
QUOTE (lopezi @ May 4 2005, 09:43 AM)
Good deal, which model is it?  In '90 they had the 2.0S, 2.0Si, and the Si.  I had a '90 2.0Si and also a '91 Si.  I wish I never traded in the '91 Si, but that was years ago.  The Si had a nice bump around 3700 rpm, you could always feel it....pre-vtec days.  You should be able to do the typical I/H/E .  I always like the way Si cornered....and that was with a stock setup.

Dude the 90-91 preludes didnt have the 2.0si....all the 90-91 preludes had was the 2.0s which is a 2l SOHC dual carb......The 90-91 si was the b21a which is a 2.1l DOHC....yes My best friend has a 3g lude...and he said that the b21a have a rep and a history of having oil problems....The 2.0si came in the 88-89si which is a b20a5........Just thought I would let you know.....

lopezi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si, 2000 Honda CBR 600 F4, 2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 (RIP), 2002 Nissan Maxima SE
    • Image Gallery
I had a '90 Prelude that was a 2.0Si and I also had a '91 that was an Si.....
Since I owned both I think I should know what engine came it them...
In either case:
http://www.superhond...gine_codes.html

B20A3 Honda Prelude 2.0 S 1990-1991
B20A5 Honda Prelude 2.0 Si 1990-1991
B21A1 Honda Prelude Si 1990-1991

QUOTE (ELITEX @ May 5 2005, 02:40 AM)
QUOTE (lopezi @ May 4 2005, 09:43 AM)
Good deal, which model is it?  In '90 they had the 2.0S, 2.0Si, and the Si.  I had a '90 2.0Si and also a '91 Si.  I wish I never traded in the '91 Si, but that was years ago.  The Si had a nice bump around 3700 rpm, you could always feel it....pre-vtec days.  You should be able to do the typical I/H/E .  I always like the way Si cornered....and that was with a stock setup.

Dude the 90-91 preludes didnt have the 2.0si....all the 90-91 preludes had was the 2.0s which is a 2l SOHC dual carb......The 90-91 si was the b21a which is a 2.1l DOHC....yes My best friend has a 3g lude...and he said that the b21a have a rep and a history of having oil problems....The 2.0si came in the 88-89si which is a b20a5........Just thought I would let you know.....

Don't believe the hype....Firefox Myths
Why Google is not all that....

Ghost-One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
eat me and bryman
you are telling me you never crashed everyone is in at least one accedent in their life most in their first car

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ May 5 2005, 09:18 AM)
you are telling me you never crashed everyone is in at least one accedent  in their life most in their first car

I worry about this a lot. #1 I don't want my son to get hurt (he has already beaten cancer once so he has spend his share of time in a hospital already) and #2, I don't want this car bent.

With all this mind, I have tried to prepare my son for driving. I took him to the Jim Hall School of Cart Racing when he was 12 or 13 so that he could get a taste of speed. For the last year or so, he has been driving my Accord (with me in the car) around the neighborhood. He has been my ride along partner at autcross' and open track days. And I have told him that once he learns to drive the stick shift, he can drive my '87 Si on the track.

He will be starting the regular driving school routine (a private company that provides the state regulated instruction) and I will be sending him to the Vehicle Dynamics course at Irwindale speedway. There he can learn from experts about car control, spin recovery, etc.

And finally, I have been trying to teach him that street racing is stupid and dangerous. I promised him that he can have all the track time he wants to race, but if I catch him street racing I will do physical harm to him.

There are no gaurantees in life. All I can do as a parent is give my kid as much preparation as I possibly can... so he won't make as many of the same mistakes I made as a kid.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ May 5 2005, 09:18 AM)
eat me and bryman
you are telling me you never crashed everyone is in at least one accedent  in their life most in their first car

never. have even driven all the way to florida and back, and down to South carolina about 10 times.. and not even a fender bender.. i drive super-grandma..

let's see here.. i did 65,000 miles in my 2g crx..
about 2000 in my 77 civic..
about 35000 in my ford ranger
about 10000 in my nissan frontier
about 7500 or so in my 87 f150, (about 600 were towing..)
about 20000 in my 3rd gen civic...
about 5000 in my girls bug

and for work, i drove to oklahoma in an expedition with a trailer and back..
drove to pittsburg and back about 10-20 times.. mostly with a trailer
drove to New Hampshire and back with a trailer
drove to East hampton and back in the expedition
drove to pittsburg once and back in a 26 foot ryder truck with airbrakes..

and still no accidents..

now my girl has been in like 3 accidents...

my dad hasn't ever been in an accident, either, and he's 55..

Edited by E-AT_me, 05 May 2005 - 10:19 AM.

1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

Ghost-One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
i am going to send you some wood to knock on...

everyone is in accedent eventually