• You cannot reply to this topic
39 replies to this topic

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
I am in the process of buying a 1990 Prelude with 5spd. and FI to be my son's first car. It is clean car with no body damage and apparently well cared for. I will change the timing belt and clutch to get the car "fresh" and he should get through high school and college in this car.

I have been doing some searches and there is not a lot of aftermarket support for the 3rd Gen Prelude (sounds familiar?) Which is just as well because he will not have a lot of money to pour into pimping this thing out. It comes with a nice set of 14" aftermarket wheels and some decent tires. I have a set of 15's sitting in the garage and we may add those for "style."

About the only performance enhanceers I am thinking about is a larger rear sway bar (Suspension Techniques) and a set of Portefield pads. GC sells a coil over set, but that is not really neccesary as the stock ride height is fine. MAYBE I will make a CAI for it. And a larger TB would be a good idea. I think Web Cams makes a set of regrinds....

Wait! I am falling back into old habits.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

JDN14

haha, i remember my first car, my dad bought a beat up 4 cyl. mustang so i could learn how to work on cars.....it seems to have been a worthwhile investment.

good luck!

Jacques
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

85c-rex

• For the Tenacious, no road is impassable
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1996 Nissan 200sx SE-R(DD), 1969 Ford Mustang (Hot Rod), 1985 Crx Dx (Dead)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
excellent choice for a first car, just don't get too involved and make it one of YOUR toys...gosh.....my parents must have been out of their minds, my first car was a '69 mustang....that was nice! and i had it out this morning..
There are 3 goals when modding a car.
Cheap, Reliable, and Fast.
Now the down side. You only get to pick 2...
user posted image
Fact: A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have turned Emo.

Put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% who stayed gangster as $h!t.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
must be nice to have your parents BUY your first car for you.. heheee. yes, i bought my first crx when i was 15.. it was a 90 Si. i plopped down 4g's in cash. but then again, i've had a paper route from 9 till 17. and worked at the hobby shop from 14-15...
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

bad@ssracer

here is a cam from gude.com.
HONDA PRELUDE

88-90 SOHC - B20A3

PART NO: HPCS01 (manual transmission)
HPCS02 (automatic trans)
DESCRIPTION: Awesome from 5000 and up Good with NOS
POWER BAND 5000 RPM To 7800 RPM
IDLE: Around 950 RPM
SPECIFICATIONS: Intake LIFT - .434 DURATION - 242
Exhaust LIFT - .434 DURATION - 242

well its acctually a set but they should do the trick just fine. cool.gif
The Race Is Short , But The Victory Is Sweet

user posted image
^^definate hottie^^

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

lemons

• Carbs are better (lol, not really; but they sound cool)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Preludes are nice, but the b21a or whatever is likely to throw a rod after 150k miles. Preludes are a bit heavier the civics and crx's but they are still nice.

Don't make it your project, make it his, and don't pay for anytihng, except the car. I hate when my dad pays for things, well, It makes me feel bad. Make him pay you back too.
I have nothing...

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
BOOO! poor form

the man talks up ew/d15a3 all day long but gives his son a b seires!

what is up with all that?

get him a rex!

lopezi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si, 2000 Honda CBR 600 F4, 2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 (RIP), 2002 Nissan Maxima SE
    • Image Gallery
Good deal, which model is it? In '90 they had the 2.0S, 2.0Si, and the Si. I had a '90 2.0Si and also a '91 Si. I wish I never traded in the '91 Si, but that was years ago. The Si had a nice bump around 3700 rpm, you could always feel it....pre-vtec days. You should be able to do the typical I/H/E . I always like the way Si cornered....and that was with a stock setup.

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ May 4 2005, 09:56 AM)
I am in the process of buying a 1990 Prelude with 5spd. and FI to be my son's first car. It is clean car with no body damage and apparently well cared for. I will change the timing belt and clutch to get the car "fresh" and he should get through high school and college in this car.

I have been doing some searches and there is not a lot of aftermarket support for the 3rd Gen Prelude (sounds familiar?) Which is just as well because he will not have a lot of money to pour into pimping this thing out. It comes with a nice set of 14" aftermarket wheels and some decent tires. I have a set of 15's sitting in the garage and we may add those for "style."

About the only performance enhanceers I am thinking about is a larger rear sway bar (Suspension Techniques) and a set of Portefield pads. GC sells a coil over set, but that is not really neccesary as the stock ride height is fine. MAYBE I will make a CAI for it. And a larger TB would be a good idea. I think Web Cams makes a set of regrinds....

Wait! I am falling back into old habits.

Scott

Don't believe the hype....Firefox Myths
Why Google is not all that....

lopezi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si, 2000 Honda CBR 600 F4, 2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 (RIP), 2002 Nissan Maxima SE
    • Image Gallery
The B21A came only in the Si's not the 2.0S or 2.0Si. Really.....throw a rod after 150K? I must've been lucky then, I had a 189K on mine when I traded it in, not a darn problem with that car.

QUOTE (lemons @ May 4 2005, 11:37 AM)
Preludes are nice, but the b21a or whatever is likely to throw a rod after 150k miles. Preludes are a bit heavier the civics and crx's but they are still nice.

Don't make it your project, make it his, and don't pay for anytihng, except the car. I hate when my dad pays for things, well, It makes me feel bad. Make him pay you back too.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i always wanted one with the AWS.. more trouble than it's worth, but it's still cool.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
oh yeah, you gotta get the jdm front end, too:

http://www.honda.co....11/line_up.html

the last 3 cars at the bottom, i believe.

lopezi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
Looks basically like an Accord front end....

Edited by lopezi, 04 May 2005 - 03:22 PM.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (lopezi @ May 4 2005, 03:00 PM)
Looks basically like an Accord front end....

cause a JDM ITR front end doesn't? hehe.

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
yeah i dunno what hes talkign about... theres tons of aftermarket parts for those preludes... i see hundreds of riced out preludes around here..

haha..

i remember my first car... an 89 chevy corsica.. POS.. 2.0 4cyl piece of crap chevy motor.. never gonna get a chev again
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

bombayscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx dx
my first was at 82 cavalier.....man i beat the shit outta that thing...ended up in the ditch