1 Gen Integra Nose Swap

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

atatwalker

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 civic hatch dx w/dohc swap, 88 civic RT wagon, 89 acura integra ls, 90 civic si pearl white, 93 cb7 w/ slotted drilled brakes black lights and a soon to be installed 98 h22a4
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Hey

So I have all the hard work done on my swap. core support has been removed and replaced with that of a 89 integra ls.
What im having a hard time with is the fenders. they more or less bolt on correctly and line up nice in front and top but at the door there is a 1/2 gap in the center of the door to fender gap.

I have checked out the videos on youtube of the civic tegras and i am not seeing the gap at the door. and the hood comes up almost an inch from the top of the fender at the windsheild. can anybody tell me wich fenders they used or what i can do to resolve my problem .. worst comes to worst i will cut and section the two fenders together.

Is there a diffrence between the 87 and 89 Integra fenders

ride on cardomain.com search atatwalker
dohc swaped

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
Is this what you are talking about?
http://farm5.staticf...6a91226b2_z.jpg
Jeff

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
The propper front clip swaps use the front portion of the teg, with the rear portion of the civic for the fenders. This is why you don't see this swap on any 1Gs. You can't weld steel to plastic.

Take this orange civic "1985 CRX SI" posted as an example, you see how the top corner of the fender doesn't match the hood? On an Integra it does.
If you look closely between the body line and the wheel arch you can make out a vertical line. Above that where the fender turns to meet the hood, you see how the sun highlight of the bend gets dull just before the corner?
This is where the 2 fenders were welded.
The orange Civic is actually kind of shoddy work. The results should be much better considering the work that was put in.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Jan 24 2012, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can't weld steel to plastic.

Not with welding rod anyway! You might be able to weld it together with the Duramix Quarter Panel epoxy if you flanged the steel and bondo the seam. They use it on all the new cars since you can't weld on them anyway. I am sure something like that was used on the Saturns, Pontiac Trans Sport, and Pontiac Fiero. For the Trans Sport I found "Assembled in the now-defunct General Motors Tarrytown, New York assembly facility, these U platform vans consisted of a galvanized steel space frame wrapped in composite plastic body panels that were impervious to rust and minor dents and dings, a manufacturing technique developed on the Pontiac Fiero and used extensively on General Motors' Saturn line of vehicles." the I think a 1G would look really cool with that front end on it! 3G I am undecided on.

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
makes it look too long. jmho
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

Lymitliss

• King Luke
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si B18C1, 1973 240Z V8 Conversion
    Garage View Garage
Haha! That swap is hilarious! Never seen that one before. It would get lots of attention, assuming anyone at a meet recognized either of those old cars...
Build Thread- Here

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (Lymitliss @ Jan 25 2012, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha! That swap is hilarious! Never seen that one before. It would get lots of attention, assuming anyone at a meet recognized either of those old cars...

From what I understand the swap is actually based on a production car. Forget the name of it, it was a limited market thing. The biggest external difference between this swap and the original was that the rear of the car (door to bumper) was about 10" longer. It was kind of like an Integra 2 door wagon.

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 87 Civic Si, 88 Integra Special
    Garage View Garage
I wouldnt recomend this swap. Just drive both cars like me. wink.gif

"for all your pre-1988 Honda restoration needs 206-940-8173"

"vouch thread"
http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

cars, parts, collectibles and more!

http://www.nwclassichonda.com

atatwalker

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 civic hatch dx w/dohc swap, 88 civic RT wagon, 89 acura integra ls, 90 civic si pearl white, 93 cb7 w/ slotted drilled brakes black lights and a soon to be installed 98 h22a4
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Thank you everybody! i was really hoping to not have to splice my fenders but its not really a big deal i have the flanging tool and an s load of time. You were right The swap was actually based on the Accord Aero Deck that never hit the us streets. It is WAY to late to turn back now. fenders are the only thing left other than a full ground up paint job. and a wire tuck. And i needed the engine bay space.

thanks for your help everybody can i get a quick vote on one last item AND please no hating on it not being pure or why would you want to f up a 3rd gen because the car is already a bas%#@d but i have been tinkering with the idea
of.......Remote Mini wan doors......huh huh huh thinking Oddesy for parts maybe even motorized wing windows... i know both are way overboard but i get board and i find myself wanting to strip the car down every year or two..
just want to knock out all mods this time around, before i spend hella money on my ridiculous paint choice...:-) (synergy Green from 2011 camaro, or the green they used on the 2010 911gt)

So if you could feel free to hit me back with ideas
4wd
big brakes
b swap
super charged z6 swap...go nuts
ONE Exception (don't even hint at some freakin erector set wing!) went outside one day and my neighbor had put a mustang gt wing on my car as a joke....think it might have given the car a std

im on a flexible budget of about 1k a year

i bought some turbos off a member up in silver lake area if you read this im interested in your dual carb setup you showed me

Thank you for your time
ATATwalker >Everett<
dohc swaped

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
I'll just throw out there that it's your car man, you can do to it what ever you want, or not do it the case of my coworker: I don't know how he can make it to work without breaking down or causing a major accident. My other car brand is Mopar and one of these days when I get enough money it is getting a total makeover complete with a magnum force tubular front end, I believe it is Mustang II style, and 2X4 box steel cut through the floor pans to tie together the subframe to the rear rails. I was telling someone this and they told me I was ruining the car and I said "why?, it's a slant six with tons of rust, I am doing it a favor." To me, when someone's ride comes together, it's a multi-media artform at it's best, that's why I love cars/hot rods. In my honest opinion it's the best art cause you have a blend of physics, equations, guesswork, mechanical functional aspects, mechanical artistic aspects, performance, body mods, paint schemes, interior, ect, and as long as it just doesn't sit there and look pretty it's functional art. Where else do all those aspects come together in one form? To go above and beyond the factory, whether it's a D16A1 swap and everything bolts in or 8 sec built K swap and everything is fabbed, it takes vision, when both sides of the brain come together, the aspect of an engineer and the aspect of an artist. If this is your style, then its your style, but just like art, its out there for people to love or hate, however, also just like art you will run into like minded people who appreciated what you did. Anyway, good luck on your project and it would be interesting to see something different for a change.

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
well i dont know what remote mini wan doors are, but motorized rear vent windows is not a crazy idea. slidewaystoy told me he actually modified Chrysler van actuators to work in his CRX because he couldnt find correct window seals anyway, he modified his to open. I will be doing the same if mine ever start to leak.

if you are going to get crazy with it, the most important thing is driveline. whats in it now, and do you want to change it a lot or a little? i see you have an 88 RT wagon. personally id go for something like that, but of course it might be easier to do a solid rear axle since its got one already...

which ever way you go, you will get support and advice here. unless you want to put a ford v8 in there and then we will probably laugh and tell you to go away.

just kidding put a chevy in that biatch and do wheelies all day long biggrin.gif

atatwalker

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
In the late 90's the and ever since the Honda odyessy's side doors would pop open and slide back. I would love to attempt it on my car but not sure I have the balls to cut channels into the body of my sweet little civic. Odyessyalso featured the motorized rear Windows.

And as far as the RT goes I have huge plans for it. In my garage sits a freshly rebuilt z6 with a positive displacementsupercharger... biggrin.gif (JR) along with tons of support parts like arp hardware crower HBeam rods. So I will be ripping it back apart before it ever sees my wagon. I am also tinkering with the idea of twin charging using my. Oil/water cooled Tdo4 turbo.. I figure a constant 8-10 psi from 1800-7000rpm...chaaachaaa..

Well. I'm rambling. I'm new to the Everett area so figured I would say what's up guys. I usually have parts if any body needs anything
dohc swaped

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
This same thought actually crossed my mind too tongue.gif
Having actually taken more than a couple of these doors off and apart and back together again, there are a few things you'll have to keep in mind.

There is a track running along the top of the inside of the door that will eat away at least 1.5" of space to finish nicely. It also tapers in (into the cab) at the front about 3"
The lower track of the door will eat away at least 2.5" of space high, and it also tapers at the front like the top track, which will stick into your foot well area.
The rear/center track has a cable that comes inside the car at front and rear, attached to a motor. This is what moves the door back/forward.
The door itself has about 25lb/door of motors, cables, and other junk inside it. It will be tricky to tuck all of that in and retain a functioning window without making the door deeper.

It is totally doable, just be prepared for a LOT of very fine and confusing measuring to get everything to line up right.

One last thought, I'm not sure how it will be looked upon in terms of vehicle safety. These doors are generally pretty tough to open without power. You are more likely to find yourself trapped in the car after an accident if you only had sliding doors. Though it can be argued that the hatch makes a viable escape rout.

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
too much weight to be worth it. now suicide doors... that wouldnt be a bad idea. dont know if anyone has done that one before...

but again the motorized pop outs wouldnt be too hard. dodge vans are plentiful in junkyards!

thats cool with the RT, but i meant finding and putting a similar drivetrain in the hatch... if you didnt get that maybe you did... but anyway theres a lot of room with a hatch to play. maybe dual engine 4wd? now that would be insane fun

atatwalker

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I'm thinking manual may be the only reel feezble way. But on the 4wd topic I'm in talks to trade my 89 teg sedan for a 87 push button 4wd wagon with bhg. Have to find a way to mod the spring location and trailing arms. Also don't want to give up rear disk. I need a second civic...trading my 91 si also for st swaybars for the cb7, tokiko blues and help with my h22a4 swap. Check out cardomain to see my progress as I post it. And my car isn't gangsta enough for suicide doors. But it crossed my mind.
dohc swaped