New Guy

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

87d16a1

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 si
hi guys i new to this forum i live in hanover, pa. I just bought and 87 si hatch from my buddy has had a d16a1 swapped in already. Im curious on some other things i could to do better the performance of it. Few things im wondering on is how hard it is to take the exterior fuel pump and convert to internal fuel pump? Where is a good place ot find parts for these cars and motors? Thanks in advance to anyone who does help its greatly appreciated.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
... and you need a new fuel pump because...? The stock fuel pump has all the volume you will ever need.

The aftermarket for these old cars is getting to be pretty thin these days, you will need to do some internet searching (the classified section of this site is good place to start along with eBay and your local junkyard). Summit Racing still carries some stuff as well.

Basic automotive theory/physics works on these cars. Concentrate on improving flow through the head.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

rally25rs

• push the seat back a little lower watch light bend in the blower
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '01 Forester
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Welcome to the forums!

As mentioned, parts are getting harder and harder to find. When I started my project 6 or 7 years ago, you could still order performance parts from a few companies. Now almost no one sells stuff. Fortunately, we have a talented bunch of folks here and periodically someone will make a batch of adjustable camber/caster plates, or adjustable panhard bars, etc... Otherwise, keep an eye on the classifieds.

Engine performance wise, the D16A1 swap that you already have is really the easiest and best "bang for the buck" upgrade for straight-line performance. You can also get motor mounts to swap in a B16, if you felt like doing another motor swap.

If you want hours of enjoyable reading, go right for the Projects sub-forum and see what others have done. It's always a good place to go for inspiration, especially the "Kakabox" build.

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 87 Civic Si, 88 Integra Special
    Garage View Garage
Hi.

"for all your pre-1988 Honda restoration needs 206-940-8173"

"vouch thread"
http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

cars, parts, collectibles and more!

http://www.nwclassichonda.com

87d16a1

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
The reason for the new fuel pump is the one in now just went out seems like i fix one problem and there is another i did get the advice from a very reputable mechanic to keep the pump outside of the tank for easy change if need be. how boost friendly are these motors i was thinking maybe running a t-25 around 7-8psi? or maybe some nitrous is this an idea that would end in disaster?

rally25rs

• PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
From what I've read, if your aiming for around 6 psi, all the motor really needs is some ARP head studs and a better head gasket. The real problem is the ECU. You need to get something like Hondata or solder a socket into the existing ECU to chip it, or convert to OBD1 and use an ECU from a newer car.
There is a whole turboing subforum over on http://www.g1teg.org/ that has a few stickies you should read.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I've made and in-tank pump setup.

Completely one-off hybrid frankenstein setup. Welded an EF pump module and bung to a 3G tank.

Its not perfect, and may never be better than an FI pickup and external pump.

But the EF module is cheap to replace and if I can iron out all the kinks in the third itteration it may be a reasonable solution.

No one but a proper mechanic can even attempt such a mad idea.

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
Keep your life simple and easy- just order a stock replacement on rockauto.com or your local parts retailer- they're cheap enough.

The D16a1 is fairly good with boost but I'd focus on working out the kinks, cleaning up the interior/exterior, and suspension first- you can kill yourself later, trust me- the more time you take considering and planning your power additions, the better.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Grant Bailey

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si
QUOTE (zakats @ Aug 17 2010, 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep your life simple and easy- just order a stock replacement on rockauto.com or your local parts retailer- they're cheap enough.

The D16a1 is fairly good with boost but I'd focus on working out the kinks, cleaning up the interior/exterior, and suspension first- you can kill yourself later, trust me- the more time you take considering and planning your power additions, the better.

Yeah mine and probably 99% of Hondas are on their original fuel pump. Don't try to outengineer Honda on this one. The stuff works.

Probably the single biggest performance upgrade you can do parts wise is to put good tires on the car. I would also advocate the Energy Suspension master bushing kit. It's not expensive and if the car has factory bushings in it they're dead. You will know the car a lot better after you put all that jazz on it too.

Grant
"GReddy e-manage" is excellent in the generality and the expansion. And it is a low price further.Therefore, you can direct an engine too economy, easily. Then, you are relieved, and you can choose it. Future tuning begins first from "e".

C8V6C

No need for an in tank pump. When I upgraded, I went with an Aeromotive A1000 that easily supports more than my near 500hp.

As far as the best parts sources go, you're here already wink.gif

Welcome to the site

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

87d16a1

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks everyone. My first intensions were suspension i do work on cars for a living so i know the importance there thats alot of peoples problems around where i live they slam a car and just build the piss out of the motor. i have been lookin for energy suspension stuff and also a nice set of kyb shock and struts.

rally25rs

• PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (87d16a1 @ Aug 17 2010, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have been lookin for energy suspension stuff

Summit Racing caries the full kit for <$80. Word on the street is that the red colored ones squeak and the black ones don't, but I can't seem to find the link to the black kit. Here is a like to the red kit though.

Edit: I found the black bushing kit.
Enjoy!

Edited by rally25rs, 17 August 2010 - 08:54 AM.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Replacing the bushing should be your #1 suspension mod. After that, add the largest rear sway bar you can find. Addco makes a good one.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

87d16a1

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
thanks for the bushing links appreciate it very much one question i just replaced the fuel pump and now after all that trouble i found that the ecu took a crap my friend said an SI ecu out of 88-91 will run the d16a1 will this hurt the motor or are their anythings i may have to change in order to do so my friend that suggested this said he has done this same thing before but in a for a zc and it ran just fine any help on this issue would be great.

Grant Bailey

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si
QUOTE (87d16a1 @ Aug 18 2010, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for the bushing links appreciate it very much one question i just replaced the fuel pump and now after all that trouble i found that the ecu took a crap my friend said an SI ecu out of 88-91 will run the d16a1 will this hurt the motor or are their anythings i may have to change in order to do so my friend that suggested this said he has done this same thing before but in a for a zc and it ran just fine any help on this issue would be great.

From what I know the 88-91 Si was a D16A6. Maybe they're similar enough, but I would think you'd want an ECU from a car that ran the same motor...?

Grant
"GReddy e-manage" is excellent in the generality and the expansion. And it is a low price further.Therefore, you can direct an engine too economy, easily. Then, you are relieved, and you can choose it. Future tuning begins first from "e".