Exhaust Questions...

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
(1) Can anyone explain why a Si exhaust manifold would come up about 1.5 inches shy of making it to the beginning of the exhaust pipe on an 87 4WD wagon? Is this normal?

(2) What would be the advantages of getting a Thrush WELDED muffler, over the basic Thrush turbo? Sound and Performance diff.'s, if any, would be appreciated. Is it worth the extra money for the welded?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
i would say the si is sort as to your 4wd tranny is bigger then the standerd tranny so its got a longer manifold. thats my only guess.

Wink

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 Civic 4WD Wagon
It's probably over engineering by Honda, the shorter exhaust 'tube' length helps move the power band higher in the rpm range. It helps the Si's sporty factor and shorter-ratio tranny. Not any real difference on the muffler, especially if the inlet/outlet are not already about 1.5" id.

Edited by Wink, 16 December 2008 - 02:35 PM.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
to your first question; the SI exhaust uses a non integrated cat, like most other cars, and needs the extra space (shorter down-pipe aka J pike) to fit the cat nice and snugly while all of the other models had the cat integrated into the exhaust manifold

as for the muffler question, I believe the difference is in the reliability of the muffler, the welded model is probably more expensive because the company had a guy (most likely not a robot) weld all of the possible weak points in the muffler that could rattle/rust/weaken
probably just denotes a higher quality of assembly
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
after putting the D16A1/ZC combo in my ex's AWd wagon i noticed the same 1.5 - 2 inches of space between the downpipe and B pipe. i have not yet bolted the setup together but i did test fit it and it seems as if there is plenty of play in the exhaust system so just simply bolting it up by pulling forward will be just fine. the only potential issue with this is that there is no cat in the system now. your results may vary but consitering you are getting a custom setup made then im sure any competent exhaust fab guy will make up for this and it will be fine.

i cant help you with the welded question other than it's most likely going to be a better muffler.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
QUOTE (crxls @ Dec 16 2008, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
after putting the D16A1/ZC combo in my ex's AWd wagon i noticed the same 1.5 - 2 inches of space between the downpipe and B pipe. i have not yet bolted the setup together but i did test fit it and it seems as if there is plenty of play in the exhaust system so just simply bolting it up by pulling forward will be just fine. the only potential issue with this is that there is no cat in the system now. your results may vary but consitering you are getting a custom setup made then im sure any competent exhaust fab guy will make up for this and it will be fine.

i cant help you with the welded question other than it's most likely going to be a better muffler.

Thanks for the responses to all! Everything said makes sense. I'll go with the "welded" muffler, if I can affort it.

Crxls: I too noticed the exhaust play, and messed with it for a second. However, the middle exhaust bracket is not bolted up, it's actually welded to the chassis! It will have to be cut off. Then, where do I hang the middle of the exhaust? Is this bracket necessary?

Since I'm getting a custom exhaust made, I won't mess with it. I'm just trying to get to the shop without pulling a ticket, ya know!

Now, I've been doing some thinking on the "no cat" thing. Is this legal in NC? I know that I don't have to pass emissions with a car as old as mine in NC, so does this mean I'm exempt from the cat. rule as well?

Will it hurt performance to not have a cat? Will it be loud as hell? If I need a cat, which is the best brand(s) for cheap?!

What are silencers? are these what people put on an exhaust system when they do not have a cat?
Will I need one of these if I don't go with a cat? Best brands?

Please help asap, as I have to order this stuff SOON! Shooting to be at the exhaust shop, parts in hand, on Monday morning.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by OG Wagon, 18 December 2008 - 04:50 PM.

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

flashmatrix

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: Lexus GS300
QUOTE (OG Wagon @ Dec 18 2008, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the responses to all! Everything said makes sense. I'll go with the "welded" muffler, if I can affort it.

Crxls: I too noticed the exhaust play, and messed with it for a second. However, the middle exhaust bracket is not bolted up, it's actually welded to the chassis! It will have to be cut off. Then, where do I hang the middle of the exhaust? Is this bracket necessary?

Since I'm getting a custom exhaust made, I won't mess with it. I'm just trying to get to the shop without pulling a ticket, ya know!

Now, I've been doing some thinking on the "no cat" thing. Is this legal in NC? I know that I don't have to pass emissions with a car as old as mine in NC, so does this mean I'm exempt from the cat. rule as well?

Will it hurt performance to not have a cat? Will it be loud as hell? If I need a cat, which is the best brand(s) for cheap?!

What are silencers? are these what people put on an exhaust system when they do not have a cat?
Will I need one of these if I don't go with a cat? Best brands?

Please help asap, as I have to order this stuff SOON! Shooting to be at the exhaust shop, parts in hand, on Monday morning.

Thanks in advance.

The welded muffler is louder than the regular thrush turbo.
maybe this can help somewhat.
Dynomax/ Thrush Exhaust Sounds

"Your arms are too short to box with GOD."