Argument On Swaps

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Will an engine swap raise a crx's value?

Will an engine swap raise a crx's value?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

down4ce

I had an argument about this today with one of my parents and they say I should leave my crx stock and not touch it. They say it will be worth more if i leave it stock. Well I disagree completely and reminded them that it's not a muscle car and won't raise dramatically over time. TT

Aaron636

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 04' Street Bike, 01' Excursion and working on the 87' CRX
A "honda" person who understands "swaps"...Id say you could ask for a little more for it. However, you will NEVER get what you put in.

An everyday person out car shopping wouldnt care less(in most cases).

X-man006

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx SI
that is true you could ask alittle more but Aaron636 is rite you will not get back wut you put in....

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
iwill ahve to agree selling to us you could get more not all but more. but a joe blow will ask for book or less on it even a dealer.
it dose pay sometimes to keep stock my accord was and that is why it sold good 82 hatch and mint 182km too

skrzastek

as someone who comes from a family of car collectors, if you leave it stock it will be worth more in the future (i believe that one day the 1g CRX Si will be a collector car). But it all comes down to what you want to do with it. I say do the mods if you want, but you won't get your money back from it. Make the car so you enjoy it. I'm doing that to mine right now, but i'm keeping the parts to turn it back to stock eventually

down4ce

So if I really want to make the best of the situation, I should buy a 1g dirt cheap and do a swap on that, where as I payed $2000 for mine because it was mint and putting more into would mean money B gone. laugh.gif Or like skrzastek says do what I want to it but keep the stock parts, I like that idea, then sell the stuff I bought for it Well every one I know disagrees with me but this car is an enjoyment for me and i will NEVER get rid of it :ph34r
TT

Edited by down4ce, 15 December 2004 - 09:30 PM.

Cäz™

• I love Wal*Mart
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 93 Civic Lx sedan
It all depends on many factors. One of them being who you sell it to in the end. I'd say that a stock Mint condition car will be worth more than a modified one. If the car has seen better days, then it will be worth more most likely, but you may never see the money that u spent working on it again....depending on how much you ask for it and how bad someone wants it.

I like fried rice

Facebook me!
http://www.myspace.com/xcazx "...but like i said, i am not desparate...seriously. just bored..."

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
I voted no.

Being in the business, I'll tell you that the CRX is not worth anything...lol. Even
with an engine swap. tongue.gif I don't think the blackbook goes back that far. (To me
they're priceless, but in the real world how much is a 80s tincan really worth??)

If you were to sell it an engine swap would lead people to believe that you beat on it. dry.gif
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

dnocrx

• www.wirednj.com
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx zc boosted
i say swap the engine it will only remind u why you bought the car for in the first place....to enjoy it, not what it's going to be worth in 10 years from now.
RUN YOUR CAR NOT YOUR MOUTH

kenny86si

• Phoenix CRX
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI(sold)- 91 Mustang 5.0 LX
    • Image Gallery
its all about the test drive,
would you sell it faster and at a better price(your demands) with a pokey sohc or a smooth with nice speed pickup dohc.

I bought my crx over the test drive. it was so much quicker than my nissan and that made the difference.

As far as a collector item, i really doubt it but who knows. even then the thing must be super stock and clean to bring any real $$. I would just make it how you want it and if you sell it, find someone who cherishes it as much as you.

C8V6C

If you trade it into a dealer......then aftermarket crap is usually a big NO

If you are trading to people, then Id vote you wouldnt get what you put into it

If you build it yourself to SELL it, you can make money.......find a good deal for a 1st or 3rd (100-500) swap the motor (400-1200) sell for an easy 2k if it is clean

Depends on how lucky youare finding the car and the motor.....put a neon green paint on it and a spoiler, and you can get 3gs easy, LOL

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

5150CRX

• some people tell me that I need help......
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx,94 teg,75 bmw 2002, 91 crx si(sorta)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
well I say yes it will, but you can't just sell it to anyone....and there's a couple other things to keep in mind..I'll explain:) around here, the LA area, the crx's sell from $50-1500, now if you start with a good car...not perfect but clean...maybe the paint need to polished, a couple dings here and there but most everything is there, you can find car like this for about 500-700 in La puente/industry/hacienda...I see them all the frigin time. if you start with a car like that then you drop a motor in, I.e. the d16 dohc, and you perform all the labor yourself...you'll spend an extra $400-450 on the car( since both the fi and carbs zc motors go for about the same price). so then you've invested about 1300 in the car...then lets say you go ahead and spend $8 on polish for the car and bring back some of the paint..not to perfection but it's shiney again...so now you have a shiney old car with a newish higher performance engine in it and everything is runnign properly...then you post it on e-bay and the rpr crowd goes crazy there's another clean crx on ebay...they tell just about every1 that has a smigen of interest in the cars...you can prolly end up selling it from 1500 to 2000...so yes you could make moeny on it...assuming you have decided that you're time is either worth nothing or very little.....so in my final review..i believe yes you can make more money off the car by putting a motor in it..but no i don't think it would be werth it as a bussiness plan..
Aidan
5150 Autosports
15110 E. Nelson #C
Industry, Ca 91744
(626) 806-5150

www.socalracer.com

lemons

• Carbs are better (lol, not really; but they sound cool)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
It's solely dependant on the duyer. Same thing with adding upgrades to the motor. In a modified motor it may not be as "streetable" as a bone stock motor. My car is soon going to be very boggy below 2500 rpms. But driveablity isnt that much of an issue for me, or other RPR memebers. If you sell the car on here, then you'll get more of it's worth. But most people don't appreciate the things we do to go faster, like my mother. For her it's about "features" like self tinting rear view mirrors, cd changer. For me, it's about a love of the 1st gen.
I have nothing...

baxter

• Slowpoke with attitude
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 JDM CRX-Pro, '84 JDM CRX DOHC, & '84 JDM 1.5i
    • Image Gallery
Yeah, to your average punter a an old '80s will be worth nothing with or without a swap (unless it's a minter).

However, I expect that swaped car would be easier to sell. Just take 'em for a ride... smile.gif

Jack ffr1846

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: CRX, YukonXL, 65 Cobra, Mazda6
Cars are a horrible investment. I have 4 of them and feel like the money is just pouring out of my wallet just sitting here blink.gif These cars won't bring a lot of money, no matter what. I bought my racecar about a year ago. It had just about $30k into it so I made a reasonable offer.....$4k and took it home along with the 3 extra sets of wheels, spare engine, spare body parts, brake parts etc. I'm upgrading the brakes. I bought an 88 Teg for $120 with good brakes, engine/tranny/suspension.

Locally, there's a first gen with a B16 motor in it for sale for $500. It's been sitting without offers for about 3 weeks.

If you want to upgrade for performance and have the ability to do it yourself, the CRX is a great platform to work from. If you pay someone else to do it, it's still not that expensive (I've raced a BMW M3 and Audi S4 in the past, so that's my level set for expensive). If you plan to get your money back from any money invested in the car.......well then I've got some oceanfront property in Iowa that I'd love to unload.

jack