Quick Bike Carb Question

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

hot87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 honda crx
I'm new to the crx world and i was wondering, if i put bike carbs on will i still be able to pass DEQ? If not can i make changes that will allow it to pass?

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
If you get a windband o2 and tune it you can. Here in springfeild we havent got DEQ.....yet ph34r.gif
so when i get my clutch fixed i'm going to go bike carbs also.
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

jay_1gen

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Well I've got bike carb and I'm exempt from emission tests, but man this setup is pumping lots of gas throw the motor, I think you can tune it down (smaller or bike stock main jet, pilot screw to lean) just curious what carbs do you plan on running?

rollz87civic

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
get a jet kit and a windband o2and spend a few hours tuning.

Posted Image

RIP GLEN

jay_1gen

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (rollz87civic @ Jul 31 2007, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
get a jet kit and a windband o2and spend a few hours tuning.

No point getting a Jet Kit, the jets in it wont even be big enough for the application, call DynoJet down in Las Vagas and they send you only the parts you need, or go to a Bike dealer and depending if the carbs are Kieens or what not they'll sell you the jets you need, most likley around 160 (stock is usually 120 and jet kits mostley don't go over 135).

Kurt

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Drill bits are your friend. Just make sure you got up in size a little at a time. small lathe is handy but you get away with just a drill press and a nice vice.I don't see why you couldn't tune them to pass. It dose make things a little harder. I would say at cruse my carbs are very good on fuel. Mixed driving they dont seem to use any more than the efi.

That said i don't need to pass any tests.

hot87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I'm not sure what carbs i'm going to use. I want something that i can get to pass with as much ease as i can. I know it's gonna be a pain but i want to give it a try. Any suggestions on carbs?

jay_1gen

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (hot87crx @ Aug 1 2007, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure what carbs i'm going to use. I want something that i can get to pass with as much ease as i can. I know it's gonna be a pain but i want to give it a try. Any suggestions on carbs?

Well i've got 94 CBR 900RR carbs but they were a !@#$% to get wright, try Kurt's setup I think his had some pretty good seccess will little modification. What motor are you using? D15 or ZC

hot87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I've got a D15 out of an 85 cxr si. I'm going to rebuild it and then swap it. Hopefully with a bike carb setup.

jay_1gen

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (hot87crx @ Aug 3 2007, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got a D15 out of an 85 cxr si. I'm going to rebuild it and then swap it. Hopefully with a bike carb setup.

Well that meens you have time I'll send you a full wright up on everything you need to do if you want to use the same setup I have. Jet sizes and everything.

hot87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
That would be awesome.

hot87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Does anyone know how much horsepower i should get if i use bike carbs? WHat about gas mileage?

rollz87civic

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
your going to notice a lil power diff but nothing crazy.. MPG it should be about the same as long as your fotts not in it..

Posted Image

RIP GLEN

hot87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
before i rebuild the motor what are some easy ways to get more power? I'm not looking for huge amounts just little things i can do to give it a little more.

rollz87civic

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Well i would start with a good Exhaust systeam a hearder and maybe a cam ,camgear.

Posted Image

RIP GLEN