245S

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

CSPCRX

Looking at running a new tire and wheel package after the K24 swap.  Current setup is 15x7 Kosei K1s with 205/50/15s.  I feel this is not going to be enough tire to handle all the torque the 2.4l is bringing over my 1.6l.

here is what I am thinking.

15x8 Storm S1s with 245/40/15 up front and 225/45/15 in the rear.  Back spacing is 5.48 inches on these wheels. 

I feel like this will work as I have run 225 on 13s all around on this car before without issue.  Anyone run a 245 on 15s up front before?

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

225 50 15 is the widest I have managed to fit under the fenders front and back. I had to pump out the rear fenders, set the rear coilovers  higher and run camber shims to achieve that fit (abt 550 lb springs). Front was running maximum camber with camber plates, crx knuckles and integra radius arms, but still had some contact with the front inner fender at lock. The struts had a little line of wear from the tyres so it was running close.  Hope this helps.

anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

CSPCRX

Thanks.  I have run Hoosier A7 225/13s on 13x9 wheels for years front and rear with 5.5 in of back space but never a 15.

plan now, after getting specs on the tires at rest, is a 245s on 15x9 up front with spacers to get my backspacing to 5.4-5.5 inches.  Then the 15x8s with the 225s on the rear.  

I run max camber up front that I can get which is -2 degrees with the 29mm bars up front and nothing done in the rear right now other than the coil overs with 500lb springs.  That’s another project I have since one side has -.74 degrees and the other has -1.14 degrees.  Need to get them both to -1.25 degrees.  May need to raise the car if it rubs.

thanks.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

This got me thinking again about making some shims.  Need to get some 24ga stainless and make some shims for the rear camber.  Going to be some trial and error as I can not find any data that shows how many degrees camber you gain for every 1/32 of shim.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Try the kakabox thread. Pretty sure there was a discussion on that. One of the serious racers was running a different set of shims each track as I recall the discussion..

I did try to bend the axle using 8 rods of stick welding along the top, and then grinding it off. Small effect.

anjin aka Ian

CSPCRX

I’ll search for that thread.  Only option they sell are those plastic discs and I don’t like that option.  I had a company check the shims for a Honda Fit and they are close.  

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

After going through 130+ pages on the build did not find anything on rear alignment shims.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Sorry about that - I looked as well. I'll try looking up some of the hard core track guys to see it I can find it.

anjin aka Ian

CSPCRX

I did that too.  I may get one of the Honda Fit shims to see if I can make it work.  Less than $10 to try it.  If that doesn’t work I will make my own out of 1/32 stainless.  After the first one is in I should have some idea how much each subsequent shim would add.

we talked a little about this last night on Vtec Academy.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery

Shimming the back end is a huge pain in the ass but it's really the only way to get it where you want it.  It's trial and error though.  Not every car is the same base number so every car would need a different amount of shim.

I'll go climb under mine in the next few days and see if I can get some good measurements off the spindle mounting plate size.  Unless you have a spindle out that you could measure.  It's a simple CAD study to get a rough idea what a certain amount of shim will give for camber and toe....just need the size of the spindle mount flange.

Cheers

Rob

Must.....go......racing.......

CSPCRX

That would be awesome Rob.  Good seeing you on Vtec Academy last night.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery

It's good to be back.........I've been ignoring this car and this place for too long......

Must.....go......racing.......

CSPCRX

Well ordered tires today.  Went with Nankang AR1 tires. Amazing low price and huge selection of sizes.  Current setup for years has been 15x7 Kosie K1s with Toyo Proxos 205/50/15s.  New setup is on Advanti Storm S1.

Front, 15x9, will have to run a 25mm spacer, with a 245/40/15

Rear, 15x8 with 225/45/15

this should easily hand the torque of the K24 and help increase cornering grip.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Wheels ordered today.  Need to order spacers for the front but I want to try the wheels on the car first.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit

I did that too.  I may get one of the Honda Fit shims to see if I can make it work.  Less than $10 to try it.  If that doesn’t work I will make my own out of 1/32 stainless.  After the first one is in I should have some idea how much each subsequent shim would add.

we talked a little about this last night on Vtec Academy.

Years ago, I recall looking them up on NAPAonline.com, but I don't find them now.

In case either of these threads have useful information.

http://www.redpepper...ims#entry386334

http://www.redpepper...ims#entry418160

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion