Lowering Springs

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

S.C.A.R

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 CRX si
ok I wanna lower my 86 CRXSi I need help looing for what LOOKS best with 16x7 rims please help

PacerRacerGirl

• Racerchick
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: Old car: 1986 Civic Si. Then a 94 Mazda MX6. Now a 90 Miata and a 87 Civic Si
Nothing looks good with 16" wheels on a CRX. blink.gif CRX's look silly with 16" wheels (IMHO) because the car is so small. It ends up making your car look like a toy.

Lowering a 1G CRX takes more than just springs, you will probably need to re-index your front torsion bars and shorten your front shocks. (there's a cheap and easy way to do the shocks) Springs are only on the back, and just get whatever spring rate works with the front bars, in whatever length you want. (Though lowering more than an 1 - 1.5 inches is going to create problems, and you'll want an adjustable Panhard bar)

Read the pinned "1G CRX faq", it has TONS of good info about lowering, wheels, racing and just general CRX stuff!

Good luck!

Edited by PacerRacerGirl, 19 August 2003 - 10:46 AM.

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
I still dont know why anyone here had to index their bars.. I just lowered my shit and I had a inch or less of front wheel gap... I guess there was a problem with that.. NO shock travel what so ever.... I sat on the bump stops.. I guess if I woulda had better shocks It would have sat a little higher... oh well

Buy Ground Control Coil overs and some Tokico HP's and lower the front a little.

16's arent bad..... its 17's that start to make the car look like roller skates.

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
To clarify, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you think 16, 17 or 18s look good, go for it.

But big wheels make your car accelerate more slowly. Racers use 13" wheels to lower the car's center of gravity, reduce weight and take advantage of the smaller diameter wheels' acceleration advantage.

As for your orginal question: Ground Control sells a coil over combined with Eibach springs. Their experts will get you exactly what you need. Spend the extra bucks and do it right the first time. Otherwise a set of Civic Wagon or Integra springs with a couple of coils cut off is OK, for the price.

If you lower your car, you will need an adjustable panhard rod, lowering the car offsets the rear axle.

You do not HAVE to index your torsion bars, but if you want the "slammed" look (which is pretty stupid for a street car) you will need to do it.

Lowering your car eats up suspension travel. I highly recommend removing the brakeline brackets from the front struts so that you can mount the front struts lower in the front knuckles. I als have a set of camber pates that yield some more suspension travel.

The single best improvement to your suspension is to replace the worn out bushings, it is cheap and easy to do in the front. A bit ore of a challenge in the rear.

All of this is covered in the 1st Gen CRX FAQ which is available on this site.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
Scott - the guy with the always kind and diplomatic words...BTW - you took the bag off your head here at RPR...

Kirk

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Kirk,

My avitar on this board reflects the crotchety old man that I am.

If I was clever, I would figure out how to make on of those cool custom avitars like everyone else.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

PacerRacerGirl

• Racerchick
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: Old car: 1986 Civic Si. Then a 94 Mazda MX6. Now a 90 Miata and a 87 Civic Si
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Aug 19 2003, 04:20 PM)
To clarify, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you think  16, 17 or 18s look good, go for it.

You are right .... and I seem to recall having said "IMHO" (In My Humble Opinion) when I said they look silly.

If he want's 16's more power to him. I made the assumption that he wanted to 'slam' the car because he's rolling on 16's and asked what "looks best," not works best!
My bad. Sorry.

Bridgette

AudioCra-Z

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 07 Honda Fit
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Aug 19 2003, 11:20 AM)
To clarify, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you think  16, 17 or 18s look good, go for it.

But big wheels make your car accelerate more slowly. Racers use 13" wheels to lower the car's center of gravity, reduce weight and take advantage of the smaller diameter wheels' acceleration advantage.

As for your orginal question: Ground Control sells a coil over combined with Eibach springs. Their experts will get you exactly what you need. Spend the extra bucks and do it right the first time. Otherwise a set of Civic Wagon or Integra springs with a couple of coils cut off is OK, for the price.

If you lower your car, you will need an adjustable panhard rod, lowering the car offsets the rear axle.

You do not HAVE to index your torsion bars, but if you want the "slammed" look (which is pretty stupid for a street car) you will need to do it.

Lowering your car eats up suspension travel. I highly recommend removing the brakeline brackets from the front struts so that you can mount the front struts lower in the front knuckles. I als have a set of camber pates that yield some more suspension travel.

The single best improvement to your suspension is to replace the worn out bushings, it is cheap and easy to do in the front. A bit ore of a challenge in the rear.

All of this is covered in the 1st Gen CRX FAQ which is available on this site.

Scott

YOu have a set of camber plates?!?!?!

Where did you get them? How much?

As for rims, I love my Teg 15's. 16's look a bit silly to me, and 13's just don't look right. I keep my tires at stock height anyway.

Edited by AudioCra-Z, 19 August 2003 - 09:58 PM.

Above all else, my WIFE I f33r the most!
Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF;

user posted image
RIP 86 CRX DX B16A

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
havent done a good search or look thru the faq file?

OPM sells them. GC used to.. and so did LItespeed...

I thought my car looked fine with the car as low as it was.. the problem was I ran into the bump stops.. I dont see how ANYONE could get it anylower then what I had it... who nknows....

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

87X

• Mazdawgin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1993 Mazda B2200 Pickup
    • Image Gallery
intrax sells the 1.5" lowering springs for 140. take a look around you will find more than you think.

crxmobber

• Mobbin Clean
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, 85 CRX Si, 98 prelude, 5th Gen VFR, WRX
    • Image Gallery
get the eibach pro kit and either adjust the torsion bars or cut the brake brackets on the front struts and lower the strut in the spindle about an inch.

SportInjectedClub

zc-hybrid

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic CR-VTEC
oh man, i wish i lived in the states, im the only guy in england who skicks to old skool civic's (everyone else buys 92 on civics) and i cant get nothing for it over here.

im building my second 3g hybrid, this one is B18 powered (other one is zc black top)
i cant get no suspension upgrades apart from some 35mm springs, no shocks, no wider torsions nothing, got to order my engine mounts from the states, either hasport or placeracing, is there anywere cheaper? shipping to me is $250 alone!

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Ok, I got a question too, then.

Say I get Koni yellows, or tokicos. will I also have to lower them in the hub to lower the car? And will re-idexing my torsion bars suffice till I get new ones? In other words, lowering my ride without increasing stiffness, just the suspension travel? Seems like it would be better than just straight lowering them, but also seems like it may not be enough. Finally, 87x, more info on those 1.5" lowering springs, I am really interested.

Cheers,
Mark

PS. My car is an '86 1300 DX Hatch, not a rex...

Edited by Rampage, 27 August 2003 - 09:27 AM.

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!