87 Crx Carb To A 87 Crx Si Fi

• You cannot reply to this topic
50 replies to this topic

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Blacktop Swap, 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD, 2012 Toyota Rav4
    Garage View Garage
Well guys here is a link to the motor thats going into the DX and its build

http://www.redpepper...showtopic=49596

anyways i picked up a Red 1987 CRX Si that had been hit in the front end and had a bit of damage, Also the engine had 3 bent valves on the Head and the camshaft grinded off on the journals.

So flash forward i go to VA and pick up a new motor and transmission from a Dude on here that was selling it, the motor was sitting for 3 years in a shed, rings were stuck in the block but really i only needed the head and it was in excellent condition (head i ended up using)

After a stream of bad luck with this car i end up finally getting a D15a2 Block getting it punched over 60 and using 88-91 CRX si pistons,

Came across a MINT!!!!! almost rust free CRX DX yesterday that requires Little To No bodywork all the plastics are MINT and in perfect tact and i just feel that the body is a much more solid platform to use than that of the CRX Si,

so starting today at 1:00 i am going to get the CRX DX and begine stripping the CRX Si to nothing but a Shell and then proceeding to swap everything over to the DX so i will have a Si with the body of a DX wink.gif

Also with the car the guy is throwing in a D16a1 Blacktop axels spindles ETC ETC everything (he was going to swap it all but needed the FI CRX)

so i will either Sell the D16 or save it for a build later on ph34r.gif

wish me luck and i will keep this thread updated as i go!

if you have any input or advice PLEASE feel free to share
The Original CR-Z driver

hondaguy72

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Odyssey
If you plan on swapping over the Si skirts, I'd gladly pay handsomely for the dx skirts and/or front bumper cover. Always love to see the builds.

Mark L

You are going to find there is a difference between a Si and a DX. Little things like the welded on fuel filter and coil brackets are different.

I want to know how that engine is going to run. I am working on a similar one for my "new" civic.

Mark

QUOTE (JEA86 @ Apr 30 2011, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well guys here is a link to the motor thats going into the DX and its build

so starting today at 1:00 i am going to get the CRX DX and begine stripping the CRX Si to nothing but a Shell and then proceeding to swap everything over to the DX so i will have a Si with the body of a DX wink.gif

1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
Very interesting as I am also probably starting a similar endevor. I'm getting a rust free HF and building my spare D15a3 and ripping the guts out of a wrecked 87 Si. Keep me informed on any little problems you run into and ill do the same. I hope its as straight forward as I think... We'll see. Good luck!

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Blacktop Swap, 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD, 2012 Toyota Rav4
    Garage View Garage
thanks guys and yea i was hoping that it was going to just be a simple take it off one car and put it on the other type deal but we shall see!
The Original CR-Z driver

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Found EDM corners under the seats!!!!!!!!!
The Original CR-Z driver

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
any advice on pulling the wiring harness out of the car i removed the dash and got the interior harness out, what about the engine bay harness? and the ECU harness?
The Original CR-Z driver

Mark L

QUOTE (JEA86 @ May 5 2011, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
any advice on pulling the wiring harness out of the car

I stripped a rust bucket SI once, and the interior was the hardest part. The big rubber plug in the firewall pushes through and is part of the harness itself. Just unbolt/unplug everything.
1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Mark L @ May 5 2011, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I stripped a rust bucket SI once, and the interior was the hardest part. The big rubber plug in the firewall pushes through and is part of the harness itself. Just unbolt/unplug everything.

does it push out through the engine bay or do i pull it through the car? i know dumb question but i may be wrong
The Original CR-Z driver

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
just an update for this thread!

i got the Red Si pretty much completely stripped down to shell.

I took the fuel pickup out of the Si tank and then i pulled the rear wiring harness out of the car, pulled the fuel pump out of the car, and all the fuel lines out of the car, Also Man was pulling the dash wiring out an absolute pain in the butt lol.

But as soon as i can get the Si out of the garage and into the hands of the crusher i can move the silver DX into the garage and start the swap process. I already have the interior pulled from it though
The Original CR-Z driver

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
well, last night i ended up getting the full interior pulled out of the CRX DX and as soon as i can get the Red si out of the garage i am moving it in,

If someone wants to come get the red si and pick it up i have title in hand and you can have it if you just will haul it off. Otherwise i am taking it to the Junkyard to be crushed. i am located in WV
The Original CR-Z driver

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
The motor is completely assembled.

Mod list for it includes

Head D15a3 - by Herman Lewis Racing

Head Decked .020
Full port and polish head
Ported lower intake
Ported Upper Intake with B16-Throttle body and Adaptor plate
Air intake system
3 angle valve job
Delta Stage 2 (272 regrind)
DX outer Valve Springs
Si inner Valve Springs
Skunk 2 Cam Gear
4-1 Exhaust Manifold

Block D15a2 -

Bored .060 over with D16a6 Pistons (88-91 CRX si)
NPR Oversized rings
Si Oil Cooler
ARP Rod Bolts
All Sealed Power Bearings

Vales DO NOT hit pistons when its in perfect time!

Next project is

swap gasoline In tank pickup from DX to si
Swap in Main Fuel line and Fuel Pump with Si bracket
Swap over Complete Si Wiring harness
The Original CR-Z driver

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Finally Finished up My Suspension, Wheels, and Brakes as well

For the Front

I am using 88-89 Acura Integra Torsion bars and Tubes
Pulled the whole Subframe off and sanded and painted it with VHT paint
OEM Front Sway bar with ES bushing
Monroe OE-Spectrum Struts
88-91 CRX Si Calipers
Brembo Blank Rotors
(not sure on pads yet)
Front Strut Tower Bar

For the Rear

Dodge Caravan rear sway bar
CRX HF Drums
Rear strut tower bar
All New ES Bushings
Ground Control Coilovers
Monroe OE-Spectrum Struts

The Original CR-Z driver

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Update*

car has all 3 Si fuel lines swapped into it (terrible job to do) lol Si main line was rusted a bit so i took some POR-15 to the outside of it to prevent further damage smile.gif everything bolted right into place but you have to use the Si clips that hold the fuel lines into place (which should be noted) Also the Si main line and the DX main line are IDENTICAL in size except for on the pickup, there its a much larger line that goes into the 5/16th line so other than the high pressure fittings already being on that then it was basically pointless to change it out IMO, The rturn line in the Si was much LARGER.

Fuel tank has some (looks to be) rust on the inside cleaning that out the best i can and working from there right now.
The Original CR-Z driver

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
so last night i finally got around to dropping the motor into the car! YAY! so now i am just waiting to hook up all the wires and then i should have it running
The Original CR-Z driver