• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

4N2NR

• Fossil of the forum
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si, 1990 CRX Si, 2013 Cadillac SRX, 2003 Hummer H2
    Garage View Garage
Well I finally got around to picking up that 1986 CRX Si with the 1985 recessed headlights that I bought last October. It ran the 450+ miles pretty well. No problems that caused stops for repairs. As with all our older cars there are some minor maintenance issues that I need to address. It appears that one of the injectors is weeping fuel. The valave cover gasket could probably stand to be replaced. And the bumpers need realigneing. All very minor issues. Here are the pics. It has sat for about a year and was just driven 450+ miles in the rain so if it looks a little dirty in the pictures - it is.

I put the FUN in dysfunctional!
Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.

SEX - StreetEXtremes

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
YOu sure its not an 85?
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (badpenny @ Mar 15 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
YOu sure its not an 85?

Looks like an 86-87 to me( inside door panels, off black interior, rear view mirror dark, console, wheels, no oh shit handle and the ignition coil under the hood )
Jeff

4N2NR

• Fossil of the forum
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
The VIN translates to an 1986. The CarFax translates to always being an 1986. The previous title states the same. And since I acquired it from a very trustworthy and forthright RPR member who represented it as an 1986 with an 1985 conversion I have no reason to believe it is not as stated. Oh...yeah, and Geico insured it as an 1986 when I called and gave them the promo code I was supposed to and gave them the VIN.
Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.

SEX - StreetEXtremes

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (1985 CRX SI @ Mar 15 2009, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like an 86-87 to me( inside door panels, off black interior, rear view mirror dark, console, wheels, no oh shit handle and the ignition coil under the hood )
Jeff

Not to mention the valve cover. and seeing that there were no pics of the door panels. Ok. yep, its an 86.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

4N2NR

• Fossil of the forum
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Took her to Jack Williams Tires & Auto Center for new sneakers, state inspection and emissions testing. Got the sneakers (not without some problems - first wrong tires (grabbed then from the wrong pile) & then they reverse mounted directional tires on drivers side - they offered me a 20% discount on future work which I declined. Who wants them working on the car if they can't get a simple change of tires correct!) passed emissions but failed inspection. Bummer...gotta do front (rotors & pads) and rear brakes (weeping wheel cyliders and shoes) and fix floor rot in a couple of places by tthe back fender wells. I guess it's off to NAPA to order some brake parts because you know they wont have them in stock.

SEX - StreetEXtremes

1gencrx

• I <3 Vintage Parts
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si B17 2006 Saab 9-2X Aero #30/338
Somebody did a lot of work to convert that to 85 specs. Noticed it also has the 85 climate control...

sig1.jpg

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
confusing little car... does it have the slim 85 tank or wide 86 fuel tank?
grimms mom

4N2NR

• Fossil of the forum
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (icebox187 @ Mar 29 2009, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
confusing little car...

You're not kidding! The CarFax states:
1986 HONDA CIVIC 1500 CRX SI
JHMAF533XGS031887
HATCHBACK 2 DR 1.5L L4 2BL

Yet the engine is injected. The dash plate, door sill plate and firewall stamped VIN all match the title VIN. The VIN decodes to an Si. The engine is to greasy at the moment to see what is stamped on it. The ground is to wet to crawl under and check fuel tank to compare to the other '86 Si. I think the CarFax is wrong stating it is a 2BL. The CarFax only goes back to 1992 @ 60K miles.

At any rate, I have my project priorities laid out for me. Fix the brakes, stop the oil seep from under the valve cover and fix the rust holes in the floor. The rest, well, I don't know at this time. I have a couple other projects waiting for attention so I might just get this one ready so she will pass inspection and can be driven legally, move on to the other projects, and then come back to this one.

SEX - StreetEXtremes

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (1gencrx @ Mar 28 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Somebody did a lot of work to convert that to 85 specs. Noticed it also has the 85 climate control...

Looks just like my 87 Si heater controls. What is the difference in the heating unit between model years? JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

1gencrx

• I <3 Vintage Parts
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si B17 2006 Saab 9-2X Aero #30/338
QUOTE (strudel @ Mar 29 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks just like my 87 Si heater controls. What is the difference in the heating unit between model years? JS

Three speed fan versus four. I wouldn't have even thought they were compatible, but I don't know for sure....

sig1.jpg

duner

• What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
maybe no one else noticed, but the car has been painted; well at least the hood. the underside is red.....JS

which i dont think any 85 si's came in red???????
Living the Air Force Dream!

Vouch Thread

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT
QUOTE (duner @ Mar 29 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
maybe no one else noticed, but the car has been painted; well at least the hood. the underside is red.....JS

which i dont think any 85 si's came in red???????

I know of the existance of at least one '85si that was originally Victoria Red wink.gif

Elliot
Posted Image

ChrisF-dude