Gas Leak On 84' Crx

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

Aaron

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84' Honda CRX
Crap crap crap.... So today I went to go finish my honda and decided to finally fix the (what I thought)slow oil leak that has been dripping very slowly. So I jacked up the car and checked everything (oil filter, plug, lines, oil pan was fine). To be sure, I tightened the plug a little more. So I unjacked the car and looked and it wasn't leaking and I checked the oil, and the oil was still full. So it wasn't the oil.

So I was like Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, is it any fluid. I checked everything and everything was fine. I was stumped and decided to start the car to see if anything was running funny (havn't started it in months)

After a lot of cranks and giving gas, it started! I noticed the gas gauge was lower then I thought, but couldn't remember how high it was. Everything sounded fine and then all of a sudden......... I sniff, I sniff a lot of gas, then it got stronger. So I shut the car off, checked the engine and I couldn't see any leaks. I then looked under the car and Low and behold, it was dripping like ice cream on a very very hot day. It was dripping to the left of the oil pan ( I didn't see where the dripping was, I just saw the spots under the car). So I raised the car up and by that time, It started to drip slow so I couldn't find it.

So I searched and searched and couldn't find the leak. The fuel filter was good, it looked like the lines were good (although I couldn't see that well). I then looked at the alternator and it looked like it had corrosion on it. So I new the leak has to be above the alternator or by it. The alternator is right above the oil pan to the left. So now I really know it is right around that section, I just don't know what the hell it is.

AHhhhhhhhhhhhh, anyone have any ideas what it could be. I am going to fully check all the lines tomorrow.

Cliffs
----------------
1) It ended up not being the oil leak
2) Turned car on and strong scent of gas came to me
3) Looked under the car and it was dripping fast of gas
4) Fuel filter is good, quick check of the lines and they look good
5) Dripping left to the oil pan, above the alternator
6) WHAT THE HELL DO YOU GUYS THINK IT COULD BE!!!
7) I'm going to fully check it out tomorrow and fully check the lines.

Daily - 84' Honda CRX dx........ Its just a Single cam......... no really, it really is

84classicDX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX DX 1.5, 90 Prelude
By your description of the issue, I think your float adjustment on the top of your carb is leaking. That's quite common if you made a float level adjustment. If not you just have to put a dab of paint ( touch up paint works too) on top of the screw after the gasoline puddle on top of the screw dries. To get to to the screw, take off the air cleaner cover, and it'll be located on the top right of the carb as you are facing the engine bay. Sorry I don't have any pics to show you.

QUOTE (Aaron @ Aug 31 2007, 06:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Crap crap crap.... So today I went to go finish my honda and decided to finally fix the (what I thought)slow oil leak that has been dripping very slowly. So I jacked up the car and checked everything (oil filter, plug, lines, oil pan was fine). To be sure, I tightened the plug a little more. So I unjacked the car and looked and it wasn't leaking and I checked the oil, and the oil was still full. So it wasn't the oil.

So I was like Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, is it any fluid. I checked everything and everything was fine. I was stumped and decided to start the car to see if anything was running funny (havn't started it in months)

After a lot of cranks and giving gas, it started! I noticed the gas gauge was lower then I thought, but couldn't remember how high it was. Everything sounded fine and then all of a sudden......... I sniff, I sniff a lot of gas, then it got stronger. So I shut the car off, checked the engine and I couldn't see any leaks. I then looked under the car and Low and behold, it was dripping like ice cream on a very very hot day. It was dripping to the left of the oil pan ( I didn't see where the dripping was, I just saw the spots under the car). So I raised the car up and by that time, It started to drip slow so I couldn't find it.

So I searched and searched and couldn't find the leak. The fuel filter was good, it looked like the lines were good (although I couldn't see that well). I then looked at the alternator and it looked like it had corrosion on it. So I new the leak has to be above the alternator or by it. The alternator is right above the oil pan to the left. So now I really know it is right around that section, I just don't know what the hell it is.

AHhhhhhhhhhhhh, anyone have any ideas what it could be. I am going to fully check all the lines tomorrow.

Cliffs
----------------
1) It ended up not being the oil leak
2) Turned car on and strong scent of gas came to me
3) Looked under the car and it was dripping fast of gas
4) Fuel filter is good, quick check of the lines and they look good
5) Dripping left to the oil pan, above the alternator
6) WHAT THE HELL DO YOU GUYS THINK IT COULD BE!!!
7) I'm going to fully check it out tomorrow and fully check the lines.

Aaron

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I have a weber carberator though. Is it the same procedure and location?

Daily - 84' Honda CRX dx........ Its just a Single cam......... no really, it really is

myheadhertz

• Some days it isn't worth gnawing thru the leather straps
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '91 CRX si, '66 Datsun SPL311, '87 CRX turbo under construction
If you didn't see any leaks in the lines or the filter, then yes, it must be something with the carb float or needle valve. If the float is stuck and is holding the needle valve open, gas goes into the float chamber and out the float chamber vent tube. Same thing happens if a piece of dirt gets stuck in the needle valve seat. You could try rapping on the carb float chamber with the plastic handle of a largish screwdriver. If the float is stuck, a good rap might pop free. Dirt in the valve will require cleaning of the valve. Good luck!

Aaron

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
So I should just pull the top of the carb off and clean the float? Then check the needle for dirt and clean it?

myheadhertz

• Some days it isn't worth gnawing thru the leather straps
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '91 CRX si, '66 Datsun SPL311, '87 CRX turbo under construction
QUOTE (Aaron @ Aug 30 2007, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I should just pull the top of the carb off and clean the float? Then check the needle for dirt and clean it?

Find the float chamber vent tube and confirm that the gas is coming out of it before taking the carb apart. If that is the case, then check the float level and clean the float valve.

Aaron

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Alright man, thanks! I'll get to that when I have time and let you know if it fixes it.

Edited by Aaron, 31 August 2007 - 12:19 AM.