Ew/d16 Hybrid

• You cannot reply to this topic
89 replies to this topic

xxpaulcpxx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
Looks good so far. I can't wait for photo details on that extra belt tensioner bracket...

and the dyno numbers...

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (xxpaulcpxx @ Jul 21 2003, 02:43 PM)
Looks good so far.  I can't wait for photo details on that extra belt tensioner bracket...

and the dyno numbers...

Pictures of the extra tensioner are posted in my gallery already... ph34r.gif ...

I would like to see the dyno numbers too!... tongue.gif ...

Kirk

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
u and everyone else hehe biggrin.gif

xxpaulcpxx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Actually, I ment a picture of JUST the bracket, and where it mounts. It's hard to see the details of it when it is already mounted.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (xxpaulcpxx @ Jul 22 2003, 09:39 AM)
Actually, I ment a picture of JUST the bracket, and where it mounts.  It's hard to see the details of it when it is already mounted.

There is a picture of the bracket up in the gallery now...if you look at the picture of the motor without the bracket on it, you will see a threaded boss on the head - near the end of the head. It bolts directly to that boss.

Kirk

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Sorry that it has been so long since an update…I have had a few PM’s wondering what the heck is up. RPR was down, life was hot here in CO…but, I did work on the motor, took some pictures and have more info to share.

I got the motor hung on the #1 cylinder motor mount and suspended by the cherry picker. This allowed me to check out all the harnesses, plugs, coolant hoses, etc. over the next several evenings. I did have to go buy an upper radiator hose from the Acura dealership, but that was the only hose that was needed – everything else from the Integra IM or original CRX hose set mated up nicely. There is one coolant hose barb that need to be plugged on the thermostat housing – it used to go up to the CRX IM, of which there is no corresponding barb on the Integra IM.

Most of the wiring looks good from the start also…the Injector Resistor Pack plugged right into the Integra harness, as did the Alternator and the Instrument Cluster connector. The mating connectors for the Reverse Switch on the transmission is not in the right location – I will have to splice in a couple of feet of wire to mate the connectors. The power to the Distributor is different also…in the CRX the coil/capacitor were connected near the firewall and #1 cylinder side of the engine bay. The coil/capacitor are in the distributor now (because it is a D16) and I have two female connectors now! The Integra harness terminates in the correct spot and has the appropriate wires (or the CRX does, which ever way you want to look at it), but I have to decide which connector should be the male…what do you think – the CRX or the Integra is the male? There are a variety of other signals to ring out in the harnesses and move wires in connectors, but I have not reached that point yet.

I rebuilt the transmission and hung it on the end of the motor, got the half shafts put back in and the knuckles reattached. Then, it was time to mate up the last of the hoses and connectors in the wiring harness that seemed appropriate. Now comes the sad part…I am out of time…the Runoff’s are five weeks away and I have to rebuild a race motor, strip the car and paint it and install the Individual Runner Fuel Injection system (pump, regulator, lines, IM, TB’s, ECU…everything!), then get it up and running!! So, I pushed the CRX out of the garage and replaced it with the racecar last weekend so I could get started. To add insult to injury, I think that I installed the 5th gear shifter hub upside down…I am going to have to pull the 5th gear cover and hope that this is the problem (I can’t get the transmission into reverse…). If not, I will have to pull the transmission out of the car are open it all the way up to find the problem.

So, I am going to have to neglect my CRX until I get back from the Runoff’s in mid-September AND until my wife starts speaking to me again…then it will be safe to venture out in to the garage again. If I have any extra time before the Runoff’s, I will put in some more work on the CRX…but I can’t promise anything. That doesn’t mean I won’t be thinking about it or have time to write about it – just no garage time…well…maybe a little.

There are some more pictures up in the gallery of the engine/transmission in the engine bay - it has some close-ups of the clearances to the various other components. I see absolutely no clearance issues with this setup.

BTW – anyone name this engine yet?

Kirk

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
this is the d16a1 and d15a3 engine correct?

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Yes, EW 1.5L block with 86-87 Integra Pistons and an 89 A1 head.

Kirk

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I hear ya on the leaving the swap thing. Its kinda like that for me but i have to pay more attension to my g/f then my engine sadly. Its getting there tho. only some sensors, wire resplicing, and silicone and i should be done with the rebuild.

Heres my engine name.

d21a4

Heres how i got it. d16a1 + d15a3 = d21a4

lol, what do you think?

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Now there is some more oringinality in the creation of a name! You and -TJ must think alike...both of you used formulations/combinations of the two different engines to come up with a name. I guess some day, someone is going to have to collect all these names and start the poll...

Kirk

Kain

• From Ashy to Classy
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
but that would completely defeat the purpose of engine codes to begin with, as it's definately not a 2.1 liter....
Ay!
Ay, dog, ay!
You stepped on my sneaker meng!

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
true it isn't a 2.1 liter but its just a name. well what about d16a10? I know they have a d16a9 so yeah. I'm guessing it is a 1.6 liter. or hrmmm... d16b1? lol...

d16b2
d16b3
etc...

d17a1
d17a2
etc...

that is if it is a 1.7 liter

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Acutally. it is a 1.53L...so, D1.53A1? Sounds like a version control for software!

Where is Ghost-One when you need him? There has to be a jewel in his mind...only he can have a poll about taking a dump in Cloudpumps's car! LMAO!!!!

Kirk

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 turbo zc (turbo edit) -1986 carb dohc zc hf

it looks like there is more room in the engine compartment with that block... mine is so close to the radiatior.

chris biggrin.gif
no fighting in the war room!

Dr. Strangelove

milk

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si HB______87 Si - RIP
    • Image Gallery
Awesome project you have going there, Kirk! cool.gif

I will be up to Colorado on vacation during the 1st week of September - so I'll send you an IM here on RPR ( since it's back up! biggrin.gif ) - maybe I can get somebody to drive me up there to see this thing!