Installing A Weber 32/36 Dgev On A 87 Honda Crx Dx

• You cannot reply to this topic
47 replies to this topic

jameson

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Honda Ballad 150EW (pop ups)
great post will do doing something like this soon, but the duel carb:)
Its not the size of your motor Its the size of your heart

BuffetLife

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 01 Suzuki Vitara, 08 Honda Pilot, & 87 CRX DX
    • Image Gallery
This might be my route pretty soon! I love forums, you learn something new everyday!

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Going that route with my dads crx later this month. I hope to do this with my civic here soon as well, I also hope to do this with my wagovan as well.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

BuffetLife

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
Any updates on the set up? Is she running good, or is there a lot of tweaking and adjusting?

RFL85CRXSI

• The Martinsburg Intimidator!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si ,'85 Honda Civic CRX DX, '02 Ford Crown Victoria Police Crusier, '94 Chevy S-10 LS1 (Haul'n AsS-10), '98 Plymouth Breeze 2.4T
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
To be honest with you, I was getting alot better performance with a modified stock carburator compared to my current DGEV. BUT I was tired of having to rebuild the kehien due to leaking gaskets/seals... Ive been though one fire, and thats more than enough for me!
BTW, 2bbl refers to the amount of barrels a carburator has. In the US, we technicaly have a three barrel carburator (primary, secondary and CVCC)

Suck my SOHC!
Im the VTAC sauze on your Honda Burger!

BuffetLife

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
I think am going to shoot for rebuilding my carburetor this coming spring, before doing a swap.

Does our stock carb have a part number outside of Honda for part sourcing and rebuilding? Kehein (sorry if mispelled) is the brand I take it, but it has to be a perticular series, no?

old skooler hatch

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 85 honda civic, 86 mazda 323
QUOTE (BuffetLife @ Dec 21 2009, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think am going to shoot for rebuilding my carburetor this coming spring, before doing a swap.

Does our stock carb have a part number outside of Honda for part sourcing and rebuilding? Kehein (sorry if mispelled) is the brand I take it, but it has to be a perticular series, no?

yea they do its up by the accel pump honda made i think like 16 diff carbs but nothin changed on them execpt for like the small passage ways for the vaccume and all that but as long as you look for your cars gen you will get the right one and btw for all readers i have gotten i think 280-320 miles devaced and stock carb with an 8 gallon tank which is about 45+ mpg i think but i ordered the weber carb because all of the vaccume cap is supposed to make your car run better but when i got my car it RAN LIKE CRAP haha o and another tip clean out your cat its real easy to do and very worth it mine was way plugged it was kind of like sucking a golf ball through a straw haha but once i did my engine spun up way quicker
pshht ac haha power steering haha who needs it!

civic1500s

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: honda civic 1985 1500 s 3 door
QUOTE (old skooler hatch @ Sep 4 2010, 04:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yea they do its up by the accel pump honda made i think like 16 diff carbs but nothin changed on them execpt for like the small passage ways for the vaccume and all that but as long as you look for your cars gen you will get the right one and btw for all readers i have gotten i think 280-320 miles devaced and stock carb with an 8 gallon tank which is about 45+ mpg i think but i ordered the weber carb because all of the vaccume cap is supposed to make your car run better but when i got my car it RAN LIKE CRAP haha o and another tip clean out your cat its real easy to do and very worth it mine was way plugged it was kind of like sucking a golf ball through a straw haha but once i did my engine spun up way quicker

hi guys i buy my weber to my civic 1500s,
The vacuum advance port is the only thing that I am still wonder if I hooked up right, I hooked it up to the distributor vacuum port (the bottom one, and put a cap on the top)

is this correct or would have to do some modification?

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (civic1500s @ Nov 5 2010, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi guys i buy my weber to my civic 1500s,
The vacuum advance port is the only thing that I am still wonder if I hooked up right, I hooked it up to the distributor vacuum port (the bottom one, and put a cap on the top)

is this correct or would have to do some modification?

I believe you don't have to cap it.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
Hi, I was wondering if it makes a difference which way you install the carb. Ydennek, it would also help if the pics for this thread were reposted because they are not showing up anymore. I did look at the youtube video and ydennek installed it just like I did, with the throttle linkage to the Driver's Side of the Car. I figured this would only put one sharp bend in my throttle cable where mounting the throttle linkage to the Passenger's Side (like the instructions say to do) would put two sharp bends in the cable. My question is on these Weber carbs, one barrel is the primary and the other is secondary, does it make a difference on how far the primary barrel is from the head? I am guessing that when the carb is mounted correctly the primary barrel is probably the hole that is farthest away from the cylinder head and that when it is mounted like ydennek (and me) mounted it is probably running rich? Also ydennek used RTV when the directions said specifically not to in bold print. I used moly grease on the paper gaskets that came with it because of the bold print and was worried I would screw something up. Why would they say not to use RTV?

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
I have a few more questions: Because the original carb was tied in to the emissions control boxes, if the O2 sensor sensed that the carb was running too lean or too rich it would regulate the carb's fuel mixture via the opening and closing of the many solenoids in the emissions control boxes? And therefore because the Weber is running on a devac'd car the O2 sensor is nothing more than a glorified pipe plug? If this is the case what jobs do the computer still perform? Is the choke tied in or regulated by the computer at all? Also the idle jet solenoid for the Weber 32/36, does this perform the same function as the 84-87 honda idle cut off solenoid? I saw that it only has one male spade terminal to it and was thinking that if I got one I would solder an additional male spade terminal to the metal housing of the solenoid so that I could cut off the existing wires from the honda idle cut off solenoid of my stock carb and wire it up, this MIGHT enable the computer to regulate it's function just like the original carb.

Mark L

The CRX DX does not have a computer or a O2 Sensor.

Installing a Weber 32/36 on a CVCC is a compromise.

You need to have the primary barrel over the CVCC port to help the spark plugs get a proper mixture. That means the Primary should be closest to the engine.

It is NOT a good idea to use RTV when mounting a carb. It gets everywhere and can block up passages.

The carb and manifold surfaces will seal fine with a standard gasket.

Mark
1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (Mark L @ Dec 3 2010, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The CRX DX does not have a computer or a O2 Sensor.

Installing a Weber 32/36 on a CVCC is a compromise.

You need to have the primary barrel over the CVCC port to help the spark plugs get a proper mixture. That means the Primary should be closest to the engine.

It is NOT a good idea to use RTV when mounting a carb. It gets everywhere and can block up passages.

The carb and manifold surfaces will seal fine with a standard gasket.

Mark

According to the exploded view of the 32/36, mounting the carb with the linkage on the Driver's side puts the Primary Barrel closest to the engine, so despite the directions then, both Ydennek and I mounted our carbs in the right position. Also what do you mean that the CRX DX does not have a computer or an O2 sensor, like it was unplugged or taken out, or it simply never had one to begin with. The car I have this carb installed on is an 84 Civic 1500 S.

Mark L

QUOTE (PuddleSkipper @ Dec 5 2010, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to the exploded view of the 32/36, mounting the carb with the linkage on the Driver's side puts the Primary Barrel closest to the engine, so despite the directions then, both Ydennek and I mounted our carbs in the right position. Also what do you mean that the CRX DX does not have a computer or an O2 sensor, like it was unplugged or taken out, or it simply never had one to begin with. The car I have this carb installed on is an 84 Civic 1500 S.

My Carb has the linkage on the passenger's side, and the linkage pivots forward to open the throttle plates.
the primary barrel is farest from the engine.

Wow!
I was wrong about the primary and CVCC ports. I must of been thinking of another installation.
I do believe the Primary Barrel is farest from the engine.

The CVCC port is in the middle and that is why the adapters have the cutout.

You are starting with a US Civic with a carburetor ?

My Current setup is a SI engine. I am using a Canadian intake manifold with a custom adapter for the Weber.

1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
What about the computer though? and yes my car is the standard 84-87 US model with the K726 Weber kit on it. I was looking at the bottom of the intake manifold when I had it off and was cleaning it and noticed the way the intake runners are routed on this particular manifold I don't think it matters which way the carb is mounted. I do have pics but for some reason have never been able to post them.