Toying With An Idea

• You cannot reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic

Ruevil

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Civic CRX (in the works), 1986 Chevy work Van (Big Ugly)
Well I have been thinking some extreme thoughts lately about what can be done to my rex once i get ahold of a different daily driver... I want to convert to RWD and drop a 350 or 351 V8 in the sucker. First of all I know it can be done, as far as I am concerned, ANYTHING can be done. Bring it on. So any thoughts/ideas/suggestions before I get committed to this project?

The§ilent|3lade
"Veni, Vidi, Vici."

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Uh yeah...... it could be done......

I like the idea of the guy who lifted up a C4 Corvette body and dropped a CRX body on top of the 'Vette's mechanicals. The 'Vette uses a trasnaxle with the transmission back at the differential.

But seeing as that has already been done, why not source the engine transmission from a Porsche 928? It also uses a transaxle in back with an aluminum V8 upfront. I bet you can get those parts relatively cheaply.

Want all Honda? S2000

A Mazda rotary would be light and small.

A small turbine motor from a Biz Jet woudl be unique.

Cut the floor boards away and do it Fred Flintstone-style.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

IamNOTaRicer

• U sux0rz @ teh intArweb
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 Civic Si, '81 Mazda RX-7
First, I hope you're ready to commit LOTS of dollars to this project... like a wheelbarrow-full or three. It's almost a given you're going to wind up doing a full tube-chassis for the car. I shudder to think how quick a strong 400-500 ft/lbs. of torque going back through these cars would twist the stock unibody into a pretzel. In essence, you're going to be building a race car and hanging a CRX body on top of it. If you REALLY want to do it, check out www.cachassisworks.com and give them a call about building a chassis and cage to your specs. Then buy yourself a MIG welder and a plasma cutter. Hope you're not saving for a child's college tuition for the next 10 years...

--Danny

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Or you could put a d16a1 in it smile.gif

boosted_zc

• In need of anger management
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 91 Turbo ZC Civic Hatch,95 4X4 Sonoma
ehhh, it's been done, a few times for that matter. Shit if i had your ambition and some cash i'd modify a 93-97 RX7 rotary turbo (13b??) in that car or something along those lines. I'm loving the s2000 idea. Actually at a SCCA autocross this year there was a guy with one of those Caterham 7 looking car, but not one, just looked like it, but it hada s2000 engine and drivetrain in it. It was friggin sick.Try something new, the 350 thing is old news.
If it has an engine....i will tear it apart.

90 Civic Si
87 CRX DX !!SOLD!!
91 Civic Hatch w/ turbo ZC
95 Sonoma 4X4
02 CRV (the wifey's)

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Jul 2 2004, 07:26 PM)
Uh yeah...... it could be done......

I like the idea of the guy who lifted up a C4 Corvette body and dropped a CRX body on top of the 'Vette's mechanicals. The 'Vette uses a trasnaxle with the transmission back at the differential.

But seeing as that has already been done, why not source the engine transmission from a Porsche 928? It also uses a transaxle in back with an aluminum V8 upfront. I bet you can get those parts relatively cheaply.

Want all Honda? S2000

A Mazda rotary would be light and small.

A small turbine motor from a Biz Jet woudl be unique.

Cut the floor boards away and do it Fred Flintstone-style.

Scott

that guy only used a corvette front subframe & suspension, the rest of the car was the CRX unit body, iirc.

and only the C5 (97+) vettes have the transaxle in the rear, he used C4 vette stuff which is a traditional engine-mounted transmission and separate differential. smile.gif

but yeah, a SBC in a CRX with RWD has already been done before smile.gif
Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (boosted_zc @ Jul 3 2004, 01:18 AM)
ehhh, it's been done, a few times for that matter. Shit if i had your ambition and some cash i'd modify a 93-97 RX7 rotary turbo (13b??) in that car or something along those lines. I'm loving the s2000 idea. Actually at a SCCA autocross this year there was a guy with one of those Caterham 7 looking car, but not one, just looked like it, but it hada s2000 engine and drivetrain in it. It was friggin sick.Try something new, the 350 thing is old news.

350 thing is old news. but a 350 can deliver a *LOT* more power than an F20C, or a 13B, for a HELL of a lot less money.
Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

87Hybrid

• Too Many Projects Too Little Time
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 1987 Civic hatch, 85 Civic Sedan, 76 Blazer,2000 Jetta
    • Image Gallery
Find and old Oldsmobile Toranado with the front wheel drive 455 and go Big Block.
"AAAHHH Teamsters, If only I could be as lazy and surley as a Teamster."  Homer Simpson

87 Hybrid hatchback and 85 sedan.
user posted image
user posted image
SportInjectedClub

duner

• What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
QUOTE (87Hybrid @ Jul 3 2004, 11:34 AM)
Find and old Oldsmobile Toranado with the front wheel drive 455 and go Big Block.

if you go for a big block....get a 454, not a 455.....whats the difference you ask? i dont know exact numbers but the 454 will blow the 455 out of the water with comparable tuning/parts on them....but the 454 does cost a bit more....but like others have pointed out...you are going to need megabux...so whats an extra 1k gonna hurt right?

you could do like the one guy and put the BB in the hatch area hooked up to a custom rear end, supercharge it, and still have the stock engine and drivetrain up front.

i also like the idea of a jet....if you are gonna go exotic, you could get 2 of those bell jet rangers(the ones being put in motorcycles) in the engine bay...that would be wicked cool.gif

just my $.02
Living the Air Force Dream!

Vouch Thread

5150CRX

• some people tell me that I need help......
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 85 crx,94 teg,75 bmw 2002, 91 crx si(sorta)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i remember once seeing an old supercharged mr2 for sale on ebay..but rather than using an piston engine to drive the car....the guy used 3 small turbo jet engines...thought it was a kewl idea...though I'm not sure how practical
Aidan
5150 Autosports
15110 E. Nelson #C
Industry, Ca 91744
(626) 806-5150

www.socalracer.com

1g Supremacy

Well considering how long it takes a turbojet engine to spool up and/or down, it wouldn't be very practical at all. The fuel (Kerosene) is fairly inexpensive, but the issue is:

A ) Jets take forever to spool up/down their powerband
B ) Jets only work efficiently at certain altitudes. When the air is too thin/thick, they do not burn efficiently. And with a jet, there is no fuel/air mixture ajusting. It sucks in air in the front, blows it up, sends it out the back.
C) Jets burn VERY hot. You'd end up melting the paint off the car behind you.

BTW. Most business jets use surpluss military helo turbines. cool.gif

87CrxType-one

• Loving the 1g's and 3g's
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87crx si, and my beautiful 76 gas station orange 1980 plymouth arrow pickup, oh yeah baby!!!!!!!
    • Image Gallery
laugh.gif sad.gif

1g Supremacy

I'm seriously looking at the possibility of a C30B DOHC VTEC V6 out of a 1g NSX mated to a early 90s Acura Legend transmission. That's close to 300 horsepower stock..That would be one badass combo in the front of a 1g..That shit would just be nuts..

I'm gathering all the data I can..

Gumby

• Your Daddy
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 Civic HB 1500S 83 Bronco
I've seen a 2g Cr-Ns-X
Needless to say it had a NSX motor custom mouted int he rear of the chassis very clean install.......... never saw it run though sad.gif
user posted image

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Its more than just a custom mount in the chassis. The whole rear end has been tube framed, and the rear suspension is completely different.

The car was done by Mahdavi Motorsports, they plopped an NSX motor into a 2G CRX in the back, and turbo charged it (may as well, why not?) It ran an 11.605 in the 1/4... seems a little slow to me, for the power to weight/drivetrain layout.

For example, Locally we have a guy who runs 11's in his 4G civic with a turbo/NOS B16 or LSVtec, I forget what motor exactly he has in it.

Its a similar setup to this: (this is the guys friend, almost as fast)

Oh, and as far as Mahdavi Motorsports goes, they have a link to their CR-NS-X, here

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!