20 replies to this topic

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
does anyone have pictures or part# on the springs of original ones?? I think i had the wrong set...

I bought some new G/C coilovers from my "hookup" but but ran into problems...(only paid $30 for the set..)

First the springs say eibach 152615 ....then G/C 180.64.35 (the spring rate # I suppose) the springs have a inner diameter of 2.5" from bottom to top....

when installing, the rubber tophat was flimsy and too small for the 4 3/4" diameter of the upper rubber spring perch, and the rubber tophat/spring pushed up into the upper rubber spring perch past the rubber perch opening getting the spring wedged up in there..

No problem I thought... so Ill make some custom upper tophats out of aluminum with a 4 3/4" outer diameter with a 2.5" tophat diameter to hold the spring... now THE TOPHAT THAT RETAINS THE SPRING hits on the TOP of the threaded shaft of the coilover setup.. NOW IM PISSED I have dropped this coilover setup out and in 6-8 times!!!!! THIS IS WHEN SWAYBARS SUCK!!!! you have to keep unloading it to pull the coilovers.....

so I'm thinking I have the wrong coilover set for this car..must be for something else....

BUT finally I got FED up and went to pick n pull junkyard to get a set of stock teg springs to cut down (threw my old ones out DOH!!) and use with the coilover setup, but instead ran into a set of EIBACH springs (progressive black ones) on an 89 teg, they looked brand new so I pulled them, cut 1.5 coils off, re-installed dropped my car and now PERFECT!!!! great ride no more headaches... but now my problem is I dont want to cut too much of the progressive coils, and also If i cut more coils it reduces the diameter of the upper spring to not fit in the 4 3/4" upper perch causing the spring to wander.

Now I have the adjustment screw for my coilovers ALL THE WAY DOWN and have a 2 inch fenderwell gap (which i dont like) I want a 0" gap...

SO what can I do?? what OTHER springs can I use, OR what are the part #'s for the original...

Edited by etmydst, 16 March 2007 - 11:20 PM.

Computer

• Brian spilner racing team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 CRX DX, 03 MT IS300
    Garage View Garage
I would probably go and buy the proper set from ground control themselves. Cut springs are lame and haggard, so i would fix that asap.

86 crx

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
QUOTE (Computer @ Feb 24 2007, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would probably go and buy the proper set from ground control themselves. Cut springs are lame and haggard, so i would fix that asap.

Eh, cut springs can be ok as long as you realize the ride is harsh. I've used them on my race car for years now.........

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
in this situation "cut springs" are not really that lame, but necessary.. "STOCK CUT" yes, maybe lame... The reason for cutting the progressive ones is the G/C coilover setup added about 1" - 1 1/2" of extra height.. so If i did not cut them I would have EXCEEDED STOCK HEIGHT with the g/c coilover setup fully dropped.... did I lose some progression? yes, But not enough to affect anything..

I just want to know IF I had the wrong ones. just to make sure I am not going CRAZY!!!

The setup now is EXCELLENT best setup I have ever driven in, better than any of my crx's in the past better than my brothers "highly suspension modded ef9"... I just dislike the 2" fendergap.. I guess I'll live but "SHOW-WISE ITS UGLY"

for reference here is my current suspension setup..

tokico illuminas on all 4 corners ..........
lightspeed rear swaybar(installed a week ago) .............................................courtesy of autoxcrx
(lightspeed front/rare swaybar not installed NIB ..........................................courtesy of TC motorsports)
mugen internal swaybar ............................................................................cour
tesy of TC motorsports.. (installed today)
lightspeed front strutbar ............................................................................COUR
TESY OF CRACKHEAD BY MY HOUSE LOL..
24.5MM jackson racing torsion bars re-indexed front is 1 1/2" fender gap ......courtesy of TC motorsports..
g/c coilovers with the eibach progressive springs (installed many times but perfected today) courtesy of TC motorsports
energy suspension bushings ......................................................................courtesy of TC motorsports

Edited by etmydst, 16 March 2007 - 08:33 PM.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
OK SO WHO HERE ACTUALLY BOUGHT A BRAND NEW SET AND INSTALLED THEM WITH EASE????

AREN.D say's the spring goes on bottom and the adjustment on top like this!!! and Im starting to think this is true.. If put with the spring on top, the adjustment perch writing would be UPSIDE DOWN AND DOWN WOULD BE UP AND UP WOULD BE DOWN..

http://www.redpepper...e...31567&st=15

ALOT of other members say it goes spring ON TOP. But with my kit this would be IMPOSSIBLE due to the 2.5" spring diameter and the flimsy rubber perch it comes witH THE SPRING WOULD JUST push THROUGH THE FACTORY RUBBER PERCH center opening, and up into the strut tower

SO WHAT WAY DOES IT GO?? IM CONFUSED..

I will try AREN.D's way this monday and come to a conclusion what way they REALLY GO, I WILL TAKE PICS ALSO..

Edited by etmydst, 11 March 2007 - 08:20 PM.

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
I always thought the GC's were meant to mount upside down without upper spring perches. Instead they act as the dust sheild over the shock itself.

Anyways here is what i did, I had the same problem as you with the sleeve of the coilover hitting the upper spring perch, so i just cut the sleeve to add some clearance and never had a problem with it. Sometimes you just gotta make things work.

Julian

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (87MugenProCR-X @ Mar 11 2007, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always thought the GC's were meant to mount upside down without upper spring perches. Instead they act as the dust sheild over the shock itself.

Anyways here is what i did, I had the same problem as you with the sleeve of the coilover hitting the upper spring perch, so i just cut the sleeve to add some clearance and never had a problem with it. Sometimes you just gotta make things work.

Julian

SO you agree AREN.D's way is the right way seen in the IMAGE below..

oldschoolimport

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, 1986 civic si, 1990 civic wagon. 1979 civic 1200
I have a new set of ground controls that will be here tuesday. if there are any paper work changes, or if anything looks different, I'll add to this.
wes g.

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
SO you agree AREN.D's way is the right way seen in the IMAGE below..

Yes, I agree. They can be converted like how kakabox has them or how i mentioned above.

Julian

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Shitty Picture in my gallery of GC

http://www.redpepper...ON/acm.jpg.html

I did not use the rubber mount pc that came with mine

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
^^^^THANK YOU EV1!!! Man there should be a STICKY on how these things mount REALLY... LOl I knew I was not going crazy... so technically speaking all of those who said they mount the other way(coil on top) are WRONG?..right? I Think G/C messed up throwing the wrong instructions in my box LOL... I argued with my brother that they went spring on bottom but he argued that they did not ( he is a master fabricator/mechanic at the toyota truck frame plant) he won the argument due to his experience ....LOL.. Now he gets mad when I call him UPSIDE DOWN COILOVER MAN... because he is a perfectionist and hates when he fails lol...

Edited by etmydst, 13 March 2007 - 01:03 AM.

87 crx no hood

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si zc
is there really a big deference from the monkeyztek coil overs from the ground control ?

oldschoolimport

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, 1986 civic si, 1990 civic wagon. 1979 civic 1200
mine came in today. one thing I noticed is that they use the same perch for all their set-ups. with this one being upside down, the writing on the perch will be upside down.

wes g.

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
sticky from 1gteg

http://www.g1teg.org...topic.php?t=645
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The GC instructions look pretty clear to me:

...and Aren D. instructions were right on the money:

"...on the ground controll coil overs the sleves are on top, and the spring rests on the shock perch and coil over perch. if you look inside the coil over sleve you will see that there is a grove machined on one end, what you have to do is take your stock dust covers and cut out the metal cups at the end of them, the cups fit in the grove and hold up the car."

...let's put this baby (topic) to bed!