1g Crx In Wind Tunnel.

• You cannot reply to this topic
121 replies to this topic

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
Hey guys. I know I've been gone a while...but I return educated and bearing gifts!

First an update on me. I'm a senior at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, VA studying Mechanical Engineering (potential masters in motersports) and I'm employed at the NASA owned, ODU leased, Langley Full Scale Wind Tunnel. My 86 Si w/ D16A1 is running great and a regular at VIR and Summit Point.

Now the fun part. I will (not approved, but shoe in) very soon have the opportunity to run my 1G in the wind tunnel for free and for credit (no downside! ...well, there's a paper). I am still in the process of planning the project and projected modifications, so your input at this point may be put into action. Current list of potential modifications:

Front splitter/Air dam
closed/modified grill
ducted radiator
sealed underbody
different angle/length rear diffuser (also modified rear bumper to match)
lower side skirts
removed/replaced mirrors
rear hood air exit
modified rear spoiler (hard to fabricate...anyone wanna donate mugen for good of mankind?)
Maybe some brake ducting

All of this probably will not make it onto the agenda because, well...each hour of wind tunnel time costs the state about $1000. But that's not to say I can't just do it all and only vary a few major ones indapendently (meaning do all the minor changes as one change).

Anyway, this should set a good standard for the most beneficial aero mods to this car. Did I miss anything? Any questions/comments?

Tony

BTW. This is your tax dollars at work (well if you live in VA i suppose) so speak up!

Edited by RexKrazy, 11 January 2007 - 08:22 PM.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
Wow. That will be cool. Are you going to test the CRX versus other sport compacts?

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Unfortunately, no. My project won't be able to cover other cars. However, newer cars actually have at least drag data somewhat available and that can be used as a direct comparison.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
In order to test the drag on various configurataions, you need a small fleet of nearly identical 1st gens. This will minimize the time spent removing parts between "pulls" (or whatever they are called).

Let me know if you need another CRX or two to test on...

Enjoy the research!

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
Mine too! That makes three cars.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

Vicious

take vids

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

duner

• What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
that sounds cool!!! let us know how it goes, and yes take some vids!

and keith, maybe they are called "blows" laugh.gif hahaha
Living the Air Force Dream!

Vouch Thread

RFL85CRXSI

• The Martinsburg Intimidator!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si ,'85 Honda Civic CRX DX, '02 Ford Crown Victoria Police Crusier, '94 Chevy S-10 LS1 (Haul'n AsS-10), '98 Plymouth Breeze 2.4T
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Make that four or five... (so someone other than Keith runs at the point... Even that much MORE motivation to put a cage in the DX and run ITC or ITA in SCCA MARRS biggrin.gif )

Edited by RFL85CRXSI, 11 January 2007 - 09:57 PM.

Suck my SOHC!
Im the VTAC sauze on your Honda Burger!

pvbcrx

• I Love Jet Noise
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si (1986-2010), 1995 Dakota, 2001 325iT, 2009 Eos when my wife's away
That's a pretty neat project - ODU was smart to work out that deal with NASA on the Full Scale Tunnel. Although my CRX wasn't built until after I graduated from Tech, it would have been a tight fit in their measly little 6'x6' Stability Tunnel. laugh.gif

In a related racing note from about twenty years ago, here's my '69 Olds Delta 88 (#77) meeting its fiery end at an Enduro race across the street from Langley:

Good luck with the testing!

Doug

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
hahaha. ya, that's langley speedway! ya, i've heard about those events. We run our Ledgends car there, but for educational purposes only.

Thx for the offer Keith and others, lol. But unfortunately it's about a 30 minute endevor in our facility just to change cars. Maybe one car would be helpful....I'll have to think about that.

as far as the lingo goes, we keep it simple. just call em runs, hahaha.

blows....lol.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

CSPCRX

One thing to test that would be very interesting is the effect of the rear bumper skirt. You see a lot of drag racers cutting holes to help vent the air out that goes under the car so it doesnt act like a wind break. I have always wanted to see what effect it would have to have a stock one vs a modified one or even when its off completly to the airflow under th car.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

DarkHand

QUOTE (CSPCRX @ Jan 11 2007, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing to test that would be very interesting is the effect of the rear bumper skirt. You see a lot of drag racers cutting holes to help vent the air out that goes under the car so it doesnt act like a wind break. I have always wanted to see what effect it would have to have a stock one vs a modified one or even when its off completly to the airflow under th car.

I agree that this would probably be the most worthwhile test, as its one of the most aero-oriented modifications that tend to get done to our cars... It would be great to confirm or deny it with actual wind tunnel testing!

PLEASE get some video of the control car and each modification! biggrin.gif

And welcome back! smile.gif smile.gif
DarkHand

D Jaws II

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX SI D15A3, 89 CRX Si B18A1, 89 Prelude B20A JDM, 91 CRX DX D15B2, 87 CRX HF with a D15A3 (pictured above) New 11/06: 1998 Civic EX JDM B16A to be new track car
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Tony,

Congratulations!!!

If you could convince those with the powers to be, that you would prefer to do a more detailed examination of the 1st generation CRX and the cause and effects of aero enhancements by comparing the differences between:

1. Stock daily driver
2. Modified (aero) street car ( modified for performance enhancing body componets, typically found on todays street cars)
3. Full road or oval track car. Dedicated racer, air dams, splitter, rear wing, slammed, under-car belly-pans, etc, etc.

You could then write a study that compares the level of effectiveness on those modifications and how they differ, what contributed to the gain or decrease of downforce, what created more drag and what didn't, and what created or eliminated turbulance in certain areas around each vehicle, and in general what worked and what didn't.

Now that sir, would certainly create a few thousand, if not more, interested parties attention, and fast!!!

I appreciate your desire to keep the States cost and time to a minimum, but, for the opportunity to do some real world analysis, this could be the perfect study.

BTW, might be more work, in setup, documentation, analysis, and of course, conclusion. It certainly would prove to be very interesting.

Good luck,

Donnie

"YOU SHOULD NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE PREDICTABILITY OF STUPIDITY"

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Vicious @ Jan 11 2007, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
take vids

+1
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
the rear bumper would be sealed off by the diffuser, taking it out of the equation completely. however i might concider trying to run a bumper with holes just for comparison. It's interesting because not enough holes can actually make the bumper worse than no holes because it acts like a parachute rather than a solid obstruction, letting just enough air through to let pressure build up and cause drag, so the more holes the better for the most part.

I will defintely (with the help of a couple classmates) be writing a thorough report on the effectiveness and reasoning for each modification, showing an in depth comparison of how different combinations cooperate to provide a result greater than the sum, along with aerodynamic analyses of each of the mods.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC