91 replies to this topic

Lymitliss

• King Luke
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si B18C1, 1973 240Z V8 Conversion
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (E-Man @ Nov 25 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm more worried that the stock MAP can't handle the cam.

That's what I suggested but it was thrown out immediately...
Build Thread- Here

thatguytommy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 civic dx with si motor 1986 bmw 635csi 1989 bmw 525i
Oh sorr huh.gif y .

J-MAN

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Honda CRX SI
QUOTE (Lymitliss @ Nov 25 2009, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's what I suggested but it was thrown out immediately...

When I asked about your suggestion at delta cams the representative told me it would be fine and after describing the situation he believed it to be a vacuum problem. I find it extremely weird that we were given different information by the same company, I will call them yet again on Friday to bring this up again and hopefully will get some kind of definitive answer. If this is the case I guess I will have another talk with them on how we could possibly remedy the situation since they assured me it would be fine on more then one occasion (I really hope it doesn't get to this point). Friday appears to be a busy day for the number of tests I'll be running on the car lol. Thanks again rpr, Jon
Son of E-MAN

Lymitliss

• King Luke
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I'm really not trying to give you a hard time, but I figured it'd be worth at least looking into just because two of the guys from Delta warned me about it. I'd like to know what the problem is also!
Build Thread- Here

thatguytommy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 civic dx with si motor 1986 bmw 635csi 1989 bmw 525i
Ding Ding ............ok now everyone go to thier corners . is there any other members up here that is running the Delta 272 cam? can we take a poll on here?

now what is your cam 272/262?

Lymitliss

• King Luke
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I think you needa give Delta a call and let them know that I had called and both of them told me the opposite they told you, and let them figure it out. If it is a problem on their end, I think they're more than obligated to regrind another cam for you for free...

Just what I think anyway, it'd be one thing if it was your mistake, but since they promised it would work I think it comes back to them now. (assuming the cam IS the problem afterall, as it very well may not be, who knows)

Goodluck in your quest J-Man ph34r.gif
Build Thread- Here

J-MAN

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Well after working on the car for a bit today, we found no codes being thrown on the ecu and no pgmfi light. Then we raised the idle up from the normal 1000 rpm that the car ran with the SI cam to around 1200rpm and the car runs and drive perfectly... drove it around town and no stalling issues, no stumbling no nothing. Now I don't mind the car having an idle this high but I would like to know what the possible reasoning behind this is? Anyone got any ideas? Car starts with a cold idle of 2k rpm, then warms up to an idle of 950ish rpm, then gradually rises to a warm idle of 1250 rpm. Sounds like the ecu is adapting to its situation after start up, I'm sure my dad will chime in with opinion of the cars current situation as well lol. Thanks, Jon
Son of E-MAN

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT
QUOTE (J-MAN @ Nov 27 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure my dad will chime in with opinion of the cars current situation as well lol.

Thanks for the intro Mr. Emcee. Its always nice to have the family together for the Holidays.

As for J-Man's CRX, there are just too many variables to isolate the main problem just yet. Basically what we found as the car is warmed from its cold idle the engine had difficulties holding the 1,000 rpm idle that was previously set. As a band aid I raised the idle by about 200 rpms to overcome the stalling issue. When fully warm the engine speed increases to 1,200 rpms where it stays. It's interesting that the problem is occurring during the transition to warm idle.

Keep in mind that this car may be running Integra injectors (his old plugs were fouled prior to replacement) which are most likely too much for his setup. Jon has been through his parts bin and did not see the stock injectors. His distributor was previously advanced (either 26 or 28 degrees) and currently is set to stock (correct me if I'm wrong Jon). Jon did not reinstall the adjustable cam gear during the cam change and I haven't tested the timing/cam alignment myself and are relying on Jon's mechanic who rechecked and readjusted any of Jon's installation mistakes. During a few test drives, the appears to perform well but I believe may be a tad louder now. The Stage 2 cam idle is quite rough under Jon's current set-up at 1,000 rpms with fluctuations of about 150 rpms.

Jon fixed the passenger door lock (thanks Strudel) and installed he other set of seats this afternoon. Perhaps we will have some time tomorrow to look into a longer term solution.

Anyone have a extra set of injectors for an 1985 Si lying around?

Elliot

Posted Image

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT
Jon and I took he CRX out to the State Park at the beach to test out the car in the parking lots/access roads which are sparsely used this time of year. Car pulls good to at least 6000 rpms (based on the seat of my pants perspective while sitting in the passenger seat).

Still no CEL/codes and no new idle issues to report since the adjustment previously reported. I spent a couple of hours researching Stage 2 cams change issues today and found others have experienced similiar issues. What bothers me is that some who make the cam change have no issues at all.

Delta was closed on Friday so we will have to wait until Monday to call.

Elliot

Posted Image

Lymitliss

• King Luke
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Any new news?
Build Thread- Here

J-MAN

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Well today the car developed a new issue (ugh). Started it this morning with an idle of 2200 cold. When warmed idle was 1400 and drove fine to school. was sittin in car because I got to school early for once and after 10 min of idling, idle rose to 1500 rpm and then out of nowhere PGMFI light goes on. I look under the seat and what do I see... Code 1 staring me right in the face. Well I have to do some searching but so far I've found it could be the O2 sensor (courtesy of your thread Lymitliss lol). Lmk if anyone has experience with Code 1 issues. And I still have to check whether or not I have teggy injectors or Si injectors. Jon
Son of E-MAN

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (J-MAN @ Dec 1 2009, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still have to check whether or not I have teggy injectors or Si injectors. Jon

Pull one of your sparkplugs. Look at it. If it is dark, sooty, etc. your engine is running too rich (Integra injectors) and has killed the O2 sensor which would explain your current issues.

A spark plug should be a coffee-with-cream sort of brown.

A white plug is too lean.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

J-MAN

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 1 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pull one of your sparkplugs. Look at it. If it is dark, sooty, etc. your engine is running too rich (Integra injectors) and has killed the O2 sensor which would explain your current issues.

A spark plug should be a coffee-with-cream sort of brown.

A white plug is too lean.

Scott

Well Scott it appears you are once again correct lol, does anything ever get past you hahah. When I pulled the old plugs they were infact dark and sooty, but they were replaced last monday with a brand new set so I'd prefer not to pull them again but will as a preventative measure. Looks like I'll be buying a set of SI injectors l hopefully by the end of the week and a new O2 sensor as well. Anyone have suggestions on an O2 other than a wideband for a DC sports header? So far I've seen denso and bosch at autozone for replacements should I go for the OE fit over the universal? What about a 4 wire O2 like the kakabox has? anyone have any experience with the matter? Jon
Son of E-MAN

Lymitliss

• King Luke
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I actually just got myself a 4 wire universal Ho2s (heated oxygen sensor). It has one signal wire to the ecu, one optional ground, and two others that you hook one up as pos and one as neg and the polarity doesn't matter apparently. Seems to be working for now...
Build Thread- Here

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Start with the injectors alone. Then move on to the O2.

If just injectors solves the problem and code goes away you save yourself the $40 for the basic O2 sensor, which may not be fouled. It could be an isue of the ECU not knowing how to adjust for larger injectors. If the problem persists, get the O2.

I still haven't seen a response as to how your vacuum advance is hooked up.