B16a2 Swapped Into A 85 Crx Help

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

mountaintoyparts

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 85 CRX
so my dad got me a crx for christmas and im ready to mod hell out of it. i picked up a full swap yesterday. 99 civic si engine. its a b16a2. it came with the tranni, dizzy, ecu, throttle body. pretty much everything i need to do the swap. what else do i need to do? my stock engine has a million vacuum hoses what do i do with those? am i gonna need axles? what about my fuel delivery? am i gonna need a new fuel pump made for FI?

3rd1stGEN

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si; '07 Tundra; '01 Honda Magna
    • Image Gallery
Yeah, you will defiantly need axles, motor mounts, and upgraded fuel system. I am no where near an expert in this field, you should defiantly get more detailed info from someone else. Also, do a search; there is a lot of helpful info on this site. Check out www.hasport.com, they have some useful info as well. Looks like you got a lot of blood, sweat, and tears coming up,

Good luck,
Chris

PowerWheels86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CIVIC Si
    Garage View Garage
wiki has a majority of the information on B-swaps... wiring diagrams, tips, and pretty much a nice little rundown of what to expect... but yeah you'll need 1st gen integra hubs, an si fuel tank and wiring harness... but asking what mods to start off with most people are going to tell you to start with your suspension and brakes... no point in putting in mass power if you can't stop it and end up in a wall... rear sway bar, thicker torsion bars, new struts and shocks, energy suspension bushings, and when you get those hubs off the integra you might as well take the brakes with it... if you want to get a little flashier take the rear disks from that teggy too!!
Dark Side of the Power........
Posted Image

Wheels

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM)
The ONLY BMW's I like are (Beautiful Mexican Women)

Vicious

http://www.redpepper...ry:Engine_Swaps

read.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Is you CRX an Si? Its easier if it is, but not impossible if its not.

Also, what is the ECU you have from? Is it the OBD-2 one from the 99 Civic? Do you want it code free?

Parts you'll need regardless of the ECU, chassis version of your CRX have been mentioned (Axles, mounts, knuckle...etc), but depending on what you have for an ECU or willing to replace it with will still determine what your wiring and sensor requirements are. Depending on what version your CRX is will determine the work needed to support the B16 fuel requirements.

Tranny may have an new option I think, you may be able to run the Hydro using a cable to hydro conversion. Just check with Hasport for mount options for the hydro tranny. Most of us with B-series used a cable tranny on ours because the hydro kit was not available until recently, But I've not see the kit for our cars in person yet.

OBD-2 can be put in and run code free, I know it. But, I know it is more work too. Worth it in the end to me.

Last what is your location? If your close to someone with the time that has done the swap before paying for that persons food and drinks for the weekend would be a wise investment.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

mountaintoyparts

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Screech @ Aug 3 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is you CRX an Si? Its easier if it is, but not impossible if its not.

Also, what is the ECU you have from? Is it the OBD-2 one from the 99 Civic? Do you want it code free?

Parts you'll need regardless of the ECU, chassis version of your CRX have been mentioned (Axles, mounts, knuckle...etc), but depending on what you have for an ECU or willing to replace it with will still determine what your wiring and sensor requirements are. Depending on what version your CRX is will determine the work needed to support the B16 fuel requirements.

Tranny may have an new option I think, you may be able to run the Hydro using a cable to hydro conversion. Just check with Hasport for mount options for the hydro tranny. Most of us with B-series used a cable tranny on ours because the hydro kit was not available until recently, But I've not see the kit for our cars in person yet.

OBD-2 can be put in and run code free, I know it. But, I know it is more work too. Worth it in the end to me.

Last what is your location? If your close to someone with the time that has done the swap before paying for that persons food and drinks for the weekend would be a wise investment.

my crx is not an si. the ecu is from a 99 si. im not sure what code free is. i have mounts but im not sure theyre for my car. one of my friends at honda said i can buy an adapter that plugs into my harness and then it'll plug into the ECU. i know i need an si fuel pump/gas tank. the tranni i got is cable so it should work. and i live in colorado. it would be great if someone could help me out sometime!

C8V6C

I think there are some RPR members in CO, the B series swap is not impossible, but for someone that hasn't done it before, it can be overwhelming.

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

Screech

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (mountaintoyparts @ Aug 4 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my crx is not an si. the ecu is from a 99 si. im not sure what code free is. i have mounts but im not sure theyre for my car. one of my friends at honda said i can buy an adapter that plugs into my harness and then it'll plug into the ECU. i know i need an si fuel pump/gas tank. the tranni i got is cable so it should work. and i live in colorado. it would be great if someone could help me out sometime!

Code free: meaning having a working check engine light on the cluster that is not lit all the time because of a missing emissions sensor/valve. You can buy a jumper(adapter) harness that will use as much of your current harness as it can, but it will still require adding several new wires. If your want to use that OBD-2 ECU a lot more wires are needed (fuel tank pressure sensor, rear evap valve, secondary O2, etc...) unless you don't care about being code free.

I'm not in CO anymore, I lived in the Aurora (in both Arapahoe and Adams counties) back in `89-`93. Loved it out there.

From experience, anything you got used and were told was "X" part, be prepared to buy again new when you find it to really be part "Q" that you have no use for.

Edited for clarity.

mountaintoyparts

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Screech @ Aug 4 2009, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Code free: meaning having a working check engine light on the cluster that is not lit all the time because of a missing emissions sensor/valve. You can buy a jumper(adapter) harness that will use as much of your current harness as it can, but it will still require adding several new wires. If your want to use that OBD-2 ECU a lot more wires are needed (fuel tank pressure sensor, rear evap valve, secondary O2, etc...) unless you don't care about being code free.

I'm not in CO anymore, I lived in the Aurora (in both Arapahoe and Adams counties) back in `89-`93. Loved it out there.

From experience, anything you got used and were told was "X" part, be prepared to buy again new when you find it to really be part "Q" that you have no use for.

Edited for clarity.

well if im not code free will it still run right? the check engine light will just be on?

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
i have a parts list at onegvtec.com
grimms mom

mountaintoyparts

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (icebox187 @ Aug 5 2009, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have a parts list at onegvtec.com

ok so my dad says since we gotta get one more smog test i have to be code free. so thatll be fun wiring all that

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (mountaintoyparts @ Aug 11 2009, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok so my dad says since we gotta get one more smog test i have to be code free. so thatll be fun wiring all that

you don't need to be code free to pass inspection.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Screech

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Just disable the light for inspections since an 86 had no spot for them to hook a scan tool if the light ain't lit they will not look into it. Even though my car is code free OBD-2 they refuse to inspect it as such because they have no way to process an 86 as OBD-2 in the systems they use in my area. But I did win a bet at Autozone when I asked them to scan the car with the OBD-2 scanner and the old guy said they couldn't and I bet them it could be scanned.

There is the off chance that the inspector is smart and knows that the MIL should light before starting the car and will actually check that as part of the inspection, but they are far and few. But, if you keep the none Si cluster there is no MIL light and even further prevents that issue.

For an idea of the work required for code free OBD-2 scan through these pages here and there.

Hairy'85si

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '85 CRX Si, '92 Integra
Some codes will not effect the running of the car and others will cause run issues from VTEC being disabled to the car getting stuck in "Limp Home Mode" which means that it will not run over 3500 RPM. What I tell most people using the late model B motors is to get an OBD1 engine harness and then get a custom dash harness that is available from Mini Tec at www.superfastminis.com the dash harness connects from the engine harness and ties in the OBD1 ECU and the main relay and comes labeled with all of the wires necessary to connect to make the engine run. PM me if you need more info.